Nordkapp from SouthEast Spain. The trip of One’s life.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jugama, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, all!

This summer’s trip has been the ONE. It has been on my profile page as the dream trip for as long as I have been a member. And this year, after my wife’s complete healing and having retired we have been able to both cope with and afford it.
    It’s been a 26 day, 11661km wonderful road trip. The longest we’ve ever done, the furthest we have been away from home on a bike, over 5000 km, the heaviest load we’ve ridden with on the bike, and some other records, not only for us.
    The weather has been completely unexpected. Just one example: at North Cape the average temperature in July varies from 7 to 10 ºC. On the 18th July, at 01.00 AM, after watching the midnight sun, it was 24ºC. Climate change or not, it’s up to everyone… The only 10ºC we had was in a tunnel under the sea from Mainland to The isle of Magerøy.
    D_10_28.JPG
    We are back and safe, and I am going to post a day-by-day report with lots of pics, that I have to choose among the hundreds we have taken (thousands would be more accurate) This is why I´ll post whenever I can, in the next days. If you are interested, check from time to time.
    The aim of the trip was obviously North Cape, but we reached it after ten days, so we went back home the long way, riding in Norway for another couple of weeks. My wife and ee have both enjoyed the riding and the scenery, and our oly complains are related with money: prices, mainly. Friendly people all the way, motorbikes from all the world, that includes USA and South Korea... And mainly roads in the interesting part of Norway. Motorways to get to Scandinavia and back home.
    D_00_01.jpg
  2. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 1: Murcia -Tortellá. 708 Km.

On the way to go, I tried to ride to to towns with something interesting to visit after checking in the place to go for a walk and have something for dinner. Tortellá is a small town, with narrow streets, but we went there because it's near Belasú, a very well-preservedold medieval town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Tortellá - Château Gaillard. 588 Km.

The town to visit here was Pérouges. There were very few people in the streets and it was not too late. Then we realized tha there was a very important football match going on: France and Belgium were fighting to get to the final in Russia... Finally France won the match and the streets were full of youth with their noisy cars and mopeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great time! I got back from a Norway trip a few days ago, maybe we crossed paths!
  5. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 3: Château Gaillard - Worms. 602 km.

First night in Germany, and first time for us in the country. Worms was quite a bigger town than the ones visited before. Big old buildings, and wide squares. Motorway all day an lots of road works. A bit boring. and a bit hot, as well. Found accomodation near the center and went for a walk.

[​IMG]

First beer and meal in Germany, after the border with France.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Football again! England vs Croatia, I think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mind the hole on the floor!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had breakfast in this room. A good breakfast.
    [​IMG]
  6. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 4. Worms - Lüneburg. 539km.

Awfull day on the motorway, with road works every now and then. The only good thing is that when the road is good, there is no speed limit, so I tried to to speed up to overtake some big lorries for the next traffic jam...
    You can't compare cities, but we did like Lüneburg more than Worms. The center is ready for visitors and there were thousands, but it ididn' look crowded, anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me with Mark Twain.
    [​IMG]
  7. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 5: Lüneburg (Germany) - Sorø (DenmarK). 447 km.

New country, new town. We decided to ride to Cape North and not to take a ferry. So it took a bit longer, but that was my decision. Again traffic jams due to works and lots of heavy lorries. Better after the Danish border.

[​IMG]

The hotel.
    [​IMG]

Me in front of the hotel taking the bags off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A vintage bike I didn't know about. His owner talked to me within the hotel, as many people did during the trip, seeing my bike from Spain and the riding gear, asking about where we came from and were going to. He wished for a good trip and we said goodbye. But later, when we were going to leave, I saw him park this motorbike in front of the hotel. We had a short talk about his bike and I took a few pics. It's Danish, made in 1941, not made for exportation, but I saw this one and a red one in the same town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    xulf13, DavidM1, Trekking36 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 6: Sorø (Denmark)- Linköping (Sweden). 531 km.

5 countries in 6 days! A personal record...
    I didn´t mention the bridges. They deserve a deviation. Better than any modern, quick ferry. We took many, but the three longest of them were on days 5 and 6, and were ridden in order of length: Little Belt Bridge, 1.7km, Great Belt Bridge, in fact two bridges West and East, joining a small island between them, 6.6+6.8 km, and finally Øresund Bridge, to get into Malmö, Sweden, 7.84 km. The border is on the bridge.

We found our first town in Sweden very nice, with lots of people in bars and restaurants, near the center. Our hotel was in one corner of a square, but could sleep very well and in the morning, all the people had desappeared... Hundreds of bicycles were parked all around the town. It's the biggest number I have seen in the same town, so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to post this. I'm spanish. I've seen lots of poster for bullfights. i'm no aficionado. I never go. But it's the first time I see a poster for both a bullfight and a basketball match!!! I have to say it's a French poster. Orthez in in France.
    My question is is it a copy of a real poster o they did it just for tourists. It was in the restaurant of the hotel where we had breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    And off we go!
    [​IMG]
  9. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 7: Linköping - Hudiksvall. 453km.

Second day in Sweden. Hotter and hotter. We had lunch at Västeras. The restaurant was within a farm turned into a museum. Nice place and friendly staff. When I asked the young lady who served the meal if it was normal there to have such a heat, she just answered: "I'm dying!"
    We tried to book a room in a B&b near the road, but y was fully booked, so we went to the next town down the road: Hudiksvall. After checking in the hotel, and having a shower, we went for a short walk around the town.

[​IMG]

At a stop to drink water and take the jacket off for a few minutes.There's always a lake near the road, in Sweden. Sometimes one on the right side, and one on the left side.
    [​IMG]

A pic for the daughters, at the gas station. Just to prove we are Ok.
    [​IMG]

The museum where we had luch. Some hens came around us while eating.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A park and the hotel at Hudiksvall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place to hace the delicious breakfast was a pub, at night. It was not the only hotel where this happened.
    [​IMG]
  10. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 8: Hudiksvall- Piteå. 556 km.

As we were more and more tired, after going to the hotel, the walk was shorter than the previous days, so less photographs were taken. However, tiredness disapeared as we got closer to Nordkapp and the fjords...

[​IMG]

There was a Battlefield at the lay-by.
    [​IMG]

Me and the soldier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big paper factory. We all want books, don't we?
    [​IMG]

My wife insisted in taking this photo for our daughters...
    [​IMG]
  11. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 9: Piteå (Sweden) - Henontekiö (Finland). 443 km.

Another new country to us, but we could pay with our own money, they use Euros in Finland!
    As you can see, the km per day go down, but not the hours of riding. The motorway turned into a two-lane road, with works on it in some places, and the speed went down.
    The more we were travelling north, the longer the days were, but it was really here when the only couple of hours that the sun was down, we were asleep, so there was no night for us. We had sunlight through the upper window all night long. I googled it and the sunset was at about 11.00 pm and the sunrise at 1.00 am. A completely new situation to us. In other sities, the curtains darkened the rooms, so we didn't pay attention to that.

[​IMG]

First stop for coffee.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Artic Circle.
    [​IMG]

Entering Finland in 50 m.: just in the middle of the bridge.
    [​IMG]

This side is Sewden, the other side, Finland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DavidM1, ervin.hr, Trekking36 and 2 others like this.
  12. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the flashback of memories! Continued safe travels. :clap:beer
  13. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 10: Entokiö (Finland) - Nordkapp (Norway) FINALLY!!! 479 KM.

We left with the idea of going to Nordkapp in the evening, and if the weather or the visibility were not good enough, come back again the next morning.
    We entered the seventh country since we started our trip, but in fact there was just a little blue sign on the right, and I had to look back in the mirror to make sure that we were in Norway. I have to say there were so light traffic, that I couldn't even ask anybody!
    We did the stops along the road, had luch at Skaidi, and got to Honninsvåg, the last town bore the Cape. We got to the hostel, found a lot of bikes parked outside, put our bags in the room, bought some food for a picnic dinner and left for Nordkapp, at about nine in the evening.

[​IMG]

First stop for coffee in Norway..
    [​IMG]

Delicious!!!
    [​IMG]

It was so hot, that a dog outside the café cried, and the lady attending the café let it in. They had air conditioning.
    [​IMG]

Pikefossen Falls. There was a lay-by, and a lady biker told us the waterfalls were quite near, on foot. Thanks to her!
    [​IMG]

The highlands between Alta and Skaidi. Maria took lots of pics from the bike.
    [​IMG]

No need of pedestrian crossing.
    [​IMG]

The first reindeer we could take a photograph of.
    [​IMG]

But then there were more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This lady and her husband, from Finland, took turns to ride the bike and drive the mobile home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honninvåg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last stop before Nordkapp. I thought the view deserved it.
    [​IMG]

We finally made it!!!
    [​IMG]

Well, after 350 more meters
    [​IMG]

And a little queueing...
    [​IMG]

Here we are. No need of coming again tomorrow because of the weather, obviously. 24º centigrade at 1.00 AM!!!
    [​IMG]

We had a picnic dinner while waiting for the sun to go down, by nidnight, and then walked aroud the place til 1.00.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time: 00.06 AM. For those of you that are on the other side of the pond, think that Nordkapp and Barrow, Alaska have the same latitude: 71º North. That's way north!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of people come to see the midnight sun, in cars, mobile homes, bus, bikes, motorbikes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DavidM1, ervin.hr, Trekking36 and 3 others like this.
  14. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    great RR!
  15. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 11: Honisvåg – Sorkjøsen 378 km (5 h 19 min)
    After watching the midnight sun in Nordkapp, the main purpose of the trip, it was not over. We wanted to visit the Lofoten and the most important Fjords in the South West Norway. On our list were also Trollstigen, the Atlantic Ocean Road and Preikestolen.
    We went back the same road we rode the day before as far as Alta the went West following the coast line, instead of South to Finland.

[​IMG]

We stopped for gas and coffee at Olderfjord, and a young man greeted us, telling he was at Nordkap the night before and saw our Spanish bike. I didn’t see his, among all the parked ones. So here is Andy, from America, and his motorbike. He’s been riding in Europe since March, and says he’ll continue for another couple of months. Lucky guy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our house for one night in Sørkjosen.
    [​IMG]

With this in the neighbourhood.
    [​IMG]

And a room with a view. Four windows like this in fact.
    [​IMG]
  16. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 12: Sorkjøsen - Bogen. 327 km.

We continue our way to the Lofoten, riding a fjord after another, then a bit of mountain road, the down to another fjord. But, trust me it's far from beeing a boring ride! We found accomodation in a hostel, in a room vith a view over Ofotjorden, impressive at noon, but stunning at breakfast time!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just put the bags in our room and came back to the bike for something, when Stefano, from Milan, showed up asking for help. He had a tire worn to the cords, and his mobile phone didn't work properly since he left Italy. I googled a tire shop for him on mine with no problem and he typed the address on his Gps. I told him it would open on Monday at ten, since it was Saturday evening. He was grateful with that little help, we had a little talk about roads, bikes and on-board cameras, and continued his route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ofotjorden in the morning.
    [​IMG]
  17. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 13: Bogen - Sørvågen. 303 km.

We enter the Lofoten by a bridge and the way fom an island to another was another bridge or a tunnel. Tunnels under the mountains, too. We got to the end of the Lofoten, well quite near, and found accomodation at Sørvågen. At Breakfast the guy who rules the place greeted us in good Spanish. He is from the Canaries and came here a year ago, having known about the business from the previous owner, who retired and went to the Canaries....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bridge from both sides and from the road over it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]D

A nice place for coffee and having a rest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same place, opposite side.
    [​IMG]

One of the tunnels, on the right.
    [​IMG]

The road, between the mountains and the sea.
    [​IMG]

Solvaer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fog seemed to flow from the mountains. I think it really did!!!
    [​IMG]

Grass roof
    [​IMG]

Reine. One of the most beautiful towns. It was late in the evening, we had been riding all day, and the weather was not as good as in previous days, so we decided to go ahead, and come back to visit the next day.
    However, we took some quick pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mist coming up from the water, at noon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accomodation at Holmen.
    [​IMG]

From the window, West side.
    [​IMG]
  18. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 14: Sørvågen - Å - Reine - Meskenes - Bødo. 114 km, but only 18 of them riding, the rest of them by ferry.

We decided the day before to come back to Reine. As we could see, it was worth the ride. But first we went to the end of the road, at Å, yes, the shortest name for a town. There was not a lot to see. It ended in big car park with lots of mobile homes, and we just turned round and came back to Reine, stopping for a while at Moskenes to check the ferry timetable. No tickets til you are queueing. We had three hours left, so we went to visit until an hour before or so to be sure they have room for us on the ferry. Then we queued for the ferry, and met there a Danish couple we had met at Nordkapp, a few days before. They rode a K1600 GT, and we talked a bit about motorcycles, of course...

[​IMG]

4 pics taken after breakfast from the place of our accomodation, at Sørvågen .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of us at Reine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter says it's like a postcard. It is.
    [​IMG]

Waiting to get on board.
    [​IMG]

Leaving Moskenes. And the Lofoten.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thik this was the ferry that did the same crossing the other way round.
    [​IMG]
    Odd Arne, DavidM1, Trekking36 and 5 others like this.
  19. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    two thumbs up! all my NordKapp pics were in the rain!
  20. Jugama

Jugama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. We had splendid-too-hot weather except for day 20, still to come, with little rain in the afternoon, heavy rain all night, and after breakfast. We waited for half an hour or so, put our rain gear on, and left. It stopped raining, and we had to stop to take it off beacuse of the heat.
    However, I was told by a guy on a lay by, when we were riding in Sweden: Norway is beautiful, but if you have bad weather, all you are going to see is fog...:(
    We were lucky, then!:clap