North Alabama Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by klaviator, Sep 9, 2015.

1. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took this at the rail yard in Huntsville last weekend at the end of the ride.

IMG_20200404_152053088_HDR.jpg
    Buildzall, Slambo, lazeebum and 2 others like this.
  3. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever ride through the Talladega National Forest? I’m heading up that way this week to camp with a buddy and am looking at the road that follows the ridge north, “County Road 600-2” is what it’s labeled on Google maps. I’m pretty sure it’s dirt, which might be cool on my 11GS, dunno
  4. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  5. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Kronus

Kronus Outchea

Oddometer:
    I've been all across TNF, and CO 600-2 specifically. It's a lot of fresh (read: sharp!) gravel, dirt, with several rocky out-croppings on inclines. Can a GS do it? Absolutely. Can the rider? That's a personal evaluation. I did it with a group of mostly dual sports, some mid-tier adventure bikes, and then myself representing the larger bikes on a 1200GSA, plus a person on a KTM Super Adventure. In typical GS fashion I was loaded up with too much junk as this was a camping trip, and still did A-OK. Some of the fairer weather riders on smaller (read: easier to manage) bikes, not so much. Of note, I wouldn't go on 600-2 after a fresh rain.

All of that aside, it's a great area to get lost in, and I hope to make it back soon.
    klaviator and WECSOG like this.
  7. Kronus

Kronus Outchea

Oddometer:
    Picking my lunch spot, I see. Nice shot.
    ultrasheen, klaviator and motocopter like this.
  8. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Norton - yeah it was not clear at first what was closed, but upon further reading I understood the “recreational sites” are closed, like places that people might congregate (developed campgrounds or shooting ranges). That left the trails and primitive/dispersed camping open to the public. Thanks for the links though.

We camped and I did see a part of the road in question, yes, VERY sharp/fresh gravel. I didn’t choose to ride any of it as I was a bit later getting there to meet up with him on Tuesday.

It was beautiful though!

IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    norton73 and klaviator like this.
  9. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kronus - actually glad I didn’t do it this time, my bike was loaded down for camping and I had just repaired (I thought) one system case tab before doing the trip. It was fine all the way up, but after getting home I saw that the JB Weld had cracked between TNF and home.

I think that if I had put it on any rougher road than I was on, it may have broken clean off and that would have ruined my day I think.

I may head back up for a day ride next time with less luggage and see what that road is like...thanks for the info!
  10. mojo1

mojo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done that road on my FZ1
    IMG_0580-1.jpg
  11. Jshbrwr

Jshbrwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ok then! Guess I’ve got no excuse next time! Lol

Also, slightly unrelated, I would def buy an FZ1 again. I took a first gen off a guy who was having issues paying off a cruise with his gf (haha). Paid him $1700, replaced the clutch cable, cleaned it up and sold it for $2300. It was a big contrast to my ‘91 VFR at the time. So comfortable and easy to ride. Not to mention incredibly powerful. But it was the upright ergos that were so refreshing to me. IMG_8478.jpg
    Buildzall, mojo1, gulfcoaster and 2 others like this.
  12. ZCarFan2

ZCarFan2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only been on FS500 before. 600 looks interesting. Thanks for the info to all that shared. Got something new to look forward to.
    Buildzall and Jshbrwr like this.
  13. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha mojo’s bike has been everywhere. How many miles does it have on it now?
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's got to be a couple bazillion or so. I'm always amazed when he rides all the way up here to join us for a ride.

I haven't done any exciting rides this year but I have been able to get out and get some nice sunset pics with my bikes in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Buildzall and norton73 like this.
  15. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been riding a lot in the afternoons just to keep my sanity. I’m not accustomed to staying at home in the house. I also purchased a Moto Guzzi V7 recently that I’ve been riding in addition to the DR.

Your pictures always look professional.

I saw a scooter today. I always look close to see if it’s you. There are a lot more scooter riders around than I realized. I guess I never really noticed them before.
    Buildzall and klaviator like this.
  16. mojo1

mojo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got just over 124,000 is all.
    jwwr, Buildzall, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another nice sunset today.

[​IMG]
  18. CjAzbell11

CjAzbell11 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of anyone selling a good used strom?

Thanks in advance!
  19. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't get any pictures but the wife and I met up with a couple other Triumph riders Saturday morning and headed to see Steve and company over at Allsport since they were finally able to finalize everything and become a Triumph dealer again.
    ultrasheen, norton73 and klaviator like this.
  20. Roastm3

Roastm3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a few of us on DS bikes riding around Cheaha/Talladega on Sunday if anyone wants to join us. Planning on 600/1-2 and whatever else we come across. We are coming from the Auburn/Opelika area mostly.