North Alabama to San Diego ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AlabamaCowboy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. AlabamaCowboy

AlabamaCowboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok guys...I live in North Alabama....best friend from college lives north of San Diego...Del Mar Beach area ......and Im wanting to make the trip there and back via bike ....Looking at some time around first part of July....because of time constraints, Im sure most of the trip will be on superslab..interstate.... My initial mapping looks like....Huntsville-Memphis-Dallas.......this is where it gets questionable....Id rather stay north and head over through Albq and Flagstaff...take a ride up to Grand Canyon.....and then head over to Barstow and then down to the San Diego area....Id love to see Joshua Tree as well..... My Delorme Street Atlas shows it at about 2100 miles that route..... I could come back the southern route through Yuma, ElPaso then over to Dallas and back...

Ive been to Santa Fe 2 times in the last 2 years...once on the way to Durango and once on the way to Telluride....so as nice as Santa Fe is, I probably wont be heading north to SF again this trip..... but I am interested in suggested Must See spots along the way...

Couple of questions from the veterans out there .....Ive never made a trip of this length..on a bike... Ive pulled 1200+ mile days in the car before no problemo....but hey, this is a horse of another color... So...

How many miles should I reasonably expect to make per day ? again...assuming interstate 4 lane travel...

Assuming new tires before I leave.....should I assume an oil and filter change and chain oiling along the way ?? anything else ?

Bike I plan to ride is a Yamaha tdm 850....corbin seat / bigger shield... cruises at 80+ quite easily.... I have a Stich 1 piece suit and other riding gear...depending on the heat ..

Ok ...let her rip... thoughts ? suggestions ? warnings ? admonitions ? Interesting ADVers along the way to visit ? avoid ? etc etc etc... If anyone knows of a post from a similar trip or has made a trip along this route ...would greatly appreciate input ... Thanks
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Between 400 and 800 miles per day.

Most people change their oil/filters according to mileage.

Even though you're headed west on your outbound leg, you will have to come back east on the return leg, so I would suggest oiling the chain.
  3. AlabamaCowboy

AlabamaCowboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if I continue west I shouldnt worry about oiling the chain ? hmmmm.....:ear
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Something like that, or I was just kidding.

Lube it each day.