North America 2007

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few days later I was back on the road. My first stop out of Memphis was at a small grocery store deli to pick up free mayonaisse. No more dry tuna for me.

[​IMG]

I camped at a free campground in southern Missouri.

[​IMG]

Missouri's county roads made this amusing combination possible.

[​IMG]

I only briefly mentioned it earlier, but I'd had some trouble with my Quest 2 GPS. In Mexico it had quit on me and refused to turn on. Then a few days later, it worked fine. For the past few days now, the antenna had been flaky, and I was losing signal every few minutes.

I called Garmin Tech Support from Memphis to ask about a quick mid-trip replacement. The representative assured me that they could have a new unit in my hands in as little as two weeks. That was the best he could do. He was completely inflexible.

So... I just went up there to see.

[​IMG]

From the front office of Garmin World Headquarters, I called tech support. I told the guy that I was in Olathe, Kansas and asked if there was any way to get a replacement for my Quest 2 while it was being repaired. "Where in Olathe are you?" he asked. "Downstairs," I replied.

The tech guy met me out front and looked at my bike. In 20 minutes he gave me a laoner GPS and took mine for repairs. When I got home a few weeks later, I sent him his GPS back, and he sent me mine, fresh from a factory repair. Garmin gets a thumbs up, but I had to twist their arm.

Missouri River in Atchison, Kansas, birthplace of Amelia Earhart.

[​IMG]

I camped in Brown County State Park that evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nebraska and the first snowmobiles I'd seen on the trip. Now I know I'm north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iowa

[​IMG]

And then Minnesota.

[​IMG]

On the way to my sister's new place in southwest Minnesota, I saw these. Can you identify them?

[​IMG]

I met my sister. I went with her husband and one of their kids to see a demolition derby at the county fair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent a couple of days in the area, taking a short day trip to South Dakota.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Want to picnic under a chunk of granite?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Billyboy

Billyboy GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer:
    Wind generator blades?
    neanderthal and rbsride365 like this.
  3. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :photog
  4. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yes, these are wind generator blades. Surpirsed you didnt see them trucking them out to kansas. Crazy semi's.... nice report!
  5. MartyWadd

MartyWadd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, for bringing us along :thumb
  6. tkfisher

tkfisher Fabricator

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

I had a nice little vaction from the ice and snow this evening.
    I look forward to more from you.
    Well done.:clap
  7. Gregulator

Gregulator Loves the dirt

Oddometer:
    Real cool man, thanks for sharing.
  8. piratehood

piratehood Trail rider, dual sport

Oddometer:
    reading all the way , I actually felt you were safer camping out here in the U.S. , I know you didn't encounter any problems while in Mexico , I guess it's just a "fear of the unknown" on my part. Great thread. Thanks for sharing your trip:clap
  9. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    " Truth be told, I'll probably end up in Oaxaca again someday. It's a great part of the country and I can't imagine not going back. I'm sure I'll look up Daniela. "

Strike When The Iron Is Hot ...

My take,..... she is a nice girl, seeing the reality of the situation. She didn't know your intentions. She knew you won't be staying, whatever your intentions were. She knew she was not going anywhere (northward). She WAS attracted to you. She did not think things through when she invited you over to her job and got cold feet when you showed up and became indecisive. If her co-workers were urging her on, it seems to me it took a lot to work up the nerve for her to have invited you.

I am old(er) and I think I have a good instinctive judge of people, to a certain degree, just by their outward appearance. She seem like a nice girl. If your intention is honorable, then go see her. Otherwise, don't lead her on or take advantage of her. If all you want is a little fun, then go for it, only if that is what she wanted also. Sometimes, ........ destiny, you know? If you are ready.
  10. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, I think she was interested in you - maybe even hott with the thought of a hook-up with a 'merican traveling on bike to all those far away places. She most likely didn't want her co-workers to know about it all and give her a hard time about it afterword - or maybe she didn't want to feel like an easy slut in front of them because they prob know a lot of her friends or whatever - or maybe she has a semi-boyfriend and didn't want them to rat her out. I think she WAS interested or she wouldn't have gave you her #, and asked you to come back. Most likely, had you met her somewhere else after work, where only the 2 of you would have known about it you'd have had a much better time - and may have came back with much more pics of her - or at least memories :evil

You can see it in her face/eyes in the pics that she is interested. Been there, done that..........

11. Sly-on-2

Sly-on-2 Rockin' Winger

Oddometer:
    Previously, Camel City Carolina, now Denver
    Great report Jamie. I really enjoyed it.

I recognized three of your pictures, though they were all North of the Border. I traveled the US & Canada. Your report has me itchin' to head South... way South.

Cheers & Thanks
  12. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Email Glen (StrikingViking) for some guidance.
  13. J2Jonner

J2Jonner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Great report Jamie, thanks for the effort!!!
  15. Gforce1

Gforce1 Life is Good

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fantastic writing and pictures. I had a very long day and can't wait to go to bed but not before I finished the 3rd and final segment of your story! I found myself talking and laughing at the computer while reading the story. I would love to hear more of your stories. How about an e-book? $9.95 for the general public but free for advrider members? Sounds good to me!

Tom
    New Jersey:rofl
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    On the way across the state to visit my other sister, I rode along the infant Minnesota River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My oldest sister owns a restuarant in southeastern Minnesota and had recently had a small kitchen fire. They were in the process of cleanup and I helped out for a day.

[​IMG]

One of my goals of this trip was to finally sell a car I'd been storing in my sister's garage for the past two years. I bought this 1977 Corvette when I was 19 and spent many hours and many thousands of dollars fixing and tweaking. It just wasn't worth keeping anymore. It still needed too many things.

It started right up (after installing a new battery) and I drove it one last time to fill the tank. I snapped about 25 pictures and put it up on eBay.

[​IMG]

Then I drove north to visit my mother. Her brother died several years ago, but she'd never visited his grave, so we went to find it.

[​IMG]

I met up with an old friend from High School who now has a motorcycle. He got some guys together and we went for a cruise one afternoon to Red Wing and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're all wearing their riding gear in this picture, unfortunately.

And our five bikes.

[​IMG]

Tony and I traded bikes for a while. When we got back to his house, he shook his head and said, "I don't know how you rode that thing so far."

Next I headed north to my mom's weekend cabin, where I lived for two years by myself after high school. It's a little bit different now. When I lived there, the nearest neighbor was about a mile away. Now there are small plots up and down the gravel road.

[​IMG]

Incredibly, my bottles of liquor were still there. I probably bought that box of Macaroni and Cheese, too. I had to make it without milk.

[​IMG]

After a day and a half at the old place, I continued on my way. Dipped into Wisconsin for a bit.

[​IMG]

And then up to Ely, Minnesota where I saw this DL1000, but not the owner.

[​IMG]

I asked permission to sleep behind a firehouse. That's Lake Superior in the background.

[​IMG]
  17. Pddpimp

Pddpimp Wishful Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I was just in Redwing today! Great report, keep up the good work.

Nothing like a ride by Lake Superior either. :ricky
  18. J2Jonner

J2Jonner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap How much did the vette go for? Looks nice from the photo! Looking forward to the next installment!
  19. funklab

funklab high plains drifter

Oddometer:
    awesome ride man...

I've been trying to count countries (but we're no much for math in the carolinas) 7 was it??? Does that mean Canada is next:ear
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Red Wing and Superior. Both great places to ride.

$4200 (or thereabouts. I can't totally remember). I got more than I expected... I was thinking if I got around mid-$3000s, I'd be good. My brother -in-law offered me $3000 straight up before I put it on eBay. I told him he was welcome to bid on the car like anyone else. The car did look good, that was the good thing, but had a number of mechanical issues. The suspension and steering were pretty loose. Very loose. It was running on seven (or six?) cylinders, although I think that was merely a fouled plug or valve issue. The engine had been professionally rebuilt not many miles ago. Plus I got about $450 to deliver the car to Ohio, which left me about $75 profit after gas (and buying a new tire for the trailer). I detailed all the good and bad points about the car on the auction page, so there should have been no surprises for the buyer.

Close. Six so far. Canada is in sight. Tomorrow.

Jamie