North America 2007

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Dec 28, 2007.

1. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, Jamie. I've really been enjoying it. :thumb
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The next day a short ride up the North Shore into Canada, my seventh country of the trip.

[​IMG]

I used to visit Thunder Bay occasionally, and I planned to stay there for a day or two. When I got into town I stopped for lunch at a Chinese restaurant and made friends with two cuties (can't believe I didn't get a picture). One of the girls was from El Salvador and didn't believe me when I told her I'd just been there a few weeks ago. She was amazed to see an El Salvadoran flag on my bike. She gave me her phone number and invited me to a party later on.

I took a ride to see Kakabeka Falls to kill a few hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And saw that my favorite bar in the whole world was no longer open. Long Live the Inntowner Palace.

[​IMG]

I called Claudia. She answered, but seemed not so interested in me coming to the party any more. She didn't know where it was, or when they were going to be there.

With my favorite bar closed, and Claudia blowing me off, I decided to head back south, having spent only about five hours in Canada.

[​IMG]

In Minnesota I made camp on the shore of Lake Superior again. Cold night.

[​IMG]

And once more the report strays a bit from motorcycles.

I'd made arrangement with an old friend of my mom to borrow his car hauler to deliver my 'Vette once it sold. He maintains and drives a 1918 Model T that his dad bought in the 1950s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I got to drive it.

[​IMG]

The Corvette sold to a guy in Ohio and he was willing to pay me to deliver it. Borrowing my parents' truck and Art's trailer, I loaded up the 'Vette for the 1500 mile roadtrip.

[​IMG]

My first of two flat tires on the trailer. In the rain. Ugh.

[​IMG]

The delivery went without problem. The guy paid me with a wad of $100 bills. He was Middle Eastern and told me he would be exporting the car to Dubai. It was a tough moment for me to part with my car. I took this last picture.

[​IMG]

...then drove back to my parent's house in Minnesota.
  3. bike4ever

bike4ever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jamie, Great Report! Thanks for posting. Just spent the last couple of hours getting through the whole report, with a bit more to come. Should have known that a friendly person like yourself was a fellow Minnesotan?! :clap

You certainly show how a trip can be done right, in terms of both attitude and expenditures. If you travel to Europe this summer, the expenditures will be alot higher. The dollar is just cratered vs. the euro, but still my favorite place to travel. Some non mc buddies of mine and I plan to bicycle through parts of eastern europe this summer.

Thanks again for being such a great ambassador!
  4. Johnny-Five

Johnny-Five Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    and say great report, great pics and it seems like a great time:clap
  5. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    bump er back up. Enjoying the ride. I mean you almost came by my house in a canoe.with a friend. Crazy.

Small world.
  6. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    That is one fine looking Vette guy. I just bet there was a tear in the corner of your eye telling it good bye for ever.
    Great report and super awesome pictures.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Once back home, I met my cousin Jason in Minneapolis. This was a few days after the bridge collaps in the city, and people gathered by the dozens to watch the cleanup and rescue efforts.

[​IMG]

Part of the wreckage of the bridge can be seen in this shot.

[​IMG]

I met my cousin and we headed north to meet my dad. Later we swapped bikes. That thing is like 160hp and 350lbs.

[​IMG]

This is what happens when you take an Aprilia ADVing.

[​IMG]

The battery was dead. My dad came by and gave Jason the battery from his ATV. At my dad's cabin.

[​IMG]

My dad plays in a small informal band, so we went to watch his gig. My dad's on the left.

[​IMG]

While there, an incredibly drunk woman came up to Jason and me and explained that if she wasn't so happily married, we'd be a couple of very lucky guys. Photo opportunity or what?

[​IMG]

In the morning we headed out, Jason taking on the sand.

[​IMG]

Well, then it was time to go home. I took only a single photo on my ride back to Memphis, in Alton, Illinois, next to a statue of the tallest man who ever lived, Robert Wadlow.

[​IMG]

The End.
  8. Clarkman

Clarkman Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer:
    Great RR Jamie. I really enjoyed all the ADV'rs giving advice about chicks. It added that little Dr. Phil flair that most other RR's lack... :rofl

I like the setup on your Wee too. I'm getting Caribous, and probably the same highway pegs as you. Hey, did you use 'em much/like 'em?

Oh, and that pic of Robert Wadlow freaks me out. He's just too tall.
  9. anomad

anomad not in storage

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report! I really enjoyed following along.
  10. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first time I saw blades like those, it totally blew me away with their size. And then to see the crane that lifted those 3 blades up to the generator pod on top of the pole!
  11. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Excellent story, Jamie!:thumb

Thanx!
  12. Billyboy

Billyboy GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer:
    I grew up in T-Bay. Love to see those falls again! My sister used to party at the inntowner. (Skintowner):D
    Great report.
  13. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR Jamie. Absolutely inspiring.
  14. Conflicted

Conflicted Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent and entertaining report!! thanks for spending the time to share with us!!:clap
  15. Semper Venatio

Semper Venatio n00b

Oddometer:
    Great report Jamie, thanks for sharing!!
  16. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Geaux Tigers

Oddometer:
    Happened upon this RR and could not stop til I got to the very end. Congratulations on having the foresight to know that the memories you could create by taking time off at this time in your life to make such a ride would be memories that will last you a lifetime.

Thanks again for your effort to let us know what it was like.:clap
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    What's her name? :evil

About the only people I remember at the Inntowner was the bouncer, Tim. He introduced my friend and I two a couple of hotties, one of them an Indian girl probably about 25 years old, and her friend, a blonde(?) about 20. I don't remember their names. The young one was coming on to me all night, but I didn't realize it until later. :baldy She even asked me if we could take them back to our hotel to have drinks, and I thought it was a dumb idea because the music at the Inntowner was so great. Man was I a putz. This was in about '94.

GhostriderADV, Conflicted, Semper Venatio, and RocketJoe, thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm surprised nobody commented on the Givi in the canoe.

[​IMG]

Jamie
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There's a Givi in there?

:lol3
    xcsks likes this.
  19. Hawkesroost

Hawkesroost It's in the blood.

Oddometer:
    Great report, I love it when a rr takes me away for an hour or so and I forget that I am at work. hehe
  20. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am only on page 8 but going as fast as I can!!!:clap :clap :clap