North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so first of all I'd like to introduce myself.
    My name is Ben, 24 years old and born in The Netherlands.
    Not only am I new to this forum, but also a total rookie at motorcycling.
    After serving in the military for three years, I decided I wanted to do an American road trip. After telling my uncle about this plan (he is an experienced adventure rider himself), he convinced me to do this on a motorcycle (original plan was in a car).
    So I started planning, taking motorcycle lessons and arranging and slowly but surely everything came together. I even expanded my trip plan with western Canada, Alaska and Baja California.
    My uncle put me in touch with his friends (all adventure riders themselves as well) in Oregon and this saturday I arrived at Portland Airport. They have all been so helpful: Mr. Perkins let me stay at his place, Mr. Atteberry has been an amazing help with all my logistics, arrangements (such as insurance and registration) and has provided me with food for my first week in the US (which was amazing btw, because he is the executive chef at Cloud and Kelly's restaurant group).
    Mr. Weber from Mr. Ed's Moto had a great second hand KTM 990 at his shop. He has helped me out with the motorcycle, route planning and riding gear.
    Yesterday I tried the KTM and right away I waa convinced: I bought the KTM 990 from 2008, insured it right away and hopefully I will be able to get the registration done today.
    I will be doing some riding with Mr. Atteberry today on a trip to the Oregon coast. I'll load up all my gear to see how everything goes for my real trip. Back at Mr. Perkins' I'll make some finals tweaks and adjustments, so I will be ready for the real deal.

So now for the plan. I got a visa until the end of November of this year.
    Since the weather is pretty bad here in Oregon right now, I want to start my trip in New Orleans and head west from there. I hope to be in southern California in around a month and a half and then ride south into Baja. Then up north through California, Oregon and Washington in spring, east till in hit the Rockies and then through western Canada all the way into Alaska. Back to the American Rockies and then east through the northern US into New England. I hope to be there early fall. Then south alomg the east coast, cut into the deep south, cut back east to Florida and then west to New Orleans again.
    So basically one big circle with lots of zigzags and detours.
    I hope to post here whenever I have internet and expect some pictures soon as well.

Ben
  2. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
  3. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. That's great! It has the entire google maps thing. Very convenient.
    And indeed, I forgot to mention, I plan on camping as much as possible.

Ben
  4. c17load

c17load Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben. You should contact my brother sinnergy there outside portland and pick his brain on the trip between portland and New Orleans. He has done it a few times riding to my place here about an hour out of New Orleans. When you get here let me know You can pitch a tent on our lake, or just sleep in the barn loft. That way you can leave your kit here and day trip into New Orleans without having to worry as much. Sinnergy is located on the campsite thread in boring, Or
  5. everready

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check out the BLM land. That's the Bureau of Land Management. Camping on that land is free. There are no facilities however. Be sure you carry plenty of water.
    erikthekillian likes this.
  6. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi c17load,

I will definately contact your brother, I heard the weather is pretty bad there right now though.
    I will contact you when I get close to Louisiana. Thank you so much for the offer.

Ben

I checked, but I couldn't really find a comprehensive map with all their campgrounds. Do you if such a map exists?
  7. c17load

c17load Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weather here is beautiful. Partly sunny and 75°
  8. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've sent both you and your brother a message.
  9. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a most excellent adventure. I'll be following along.
  10. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

As I said I'd be doing some riding on the Oregon coast today with Mr. Atteberry in order to try out the bike on a longer trip, check the equipment and to see how I handle the loaded bike. And ofcourse because It's alot of fun!
    Mr. Atteberry rode on his 800GS, I rode my 990 Adventure. Also I started playing with the GoPro a bit, but didn't figure out an easy way yet to take pictures with it while riding and it being mounted on top of the helmet... (Advice is very welcome).
    So we rode from Corvallis, Oregon on the 34 to the west. Then, when we got to Waldport we headed north to Newport. We had a nice sea food lunch there and watched the sea lions. Then we continued north up till Depoe Bay. There we turned around back to Newport and then east to Corvallis on the 20.
    It was a great ride with quite alot of rain, but the weather was great on the coast. The motorcycle ran great and the equipment sits fine.
    So now I'm going to prepare to head out to NOLA. I'm going to ride south on the 101 and then east through the southern states.
    Here are some pictures of today.

Attached Files:

Mountain_Vrodder likes this.
  11. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Set the camera to interval mode so it takes a picture every 5sec, 30sec, whatever, then go back though all the pictures later and find the 5 decent ones among the 1000 or so you just took. That's my method and it is tedious but allows me to get some good pics.
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will take a look at that.
  13. Adamiko

Adamiko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Ben,

Just wanted to wish you good luck on the trip, and I'm sure it will be a great adventure.
    You've planned it well, and now, it's time to grab your gear and head out to the world. As exposed as you might feel at first from living on the road with the minimum of comforts, you will soon feel the the warmth and hospitality of the American people, and Mother Nature itself.

Ride far, and be safe,
    Your uncle Adam
    GODSPEED and Appetite4Dirt like this.
  14. everready

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention; be sure you read up on how to camp in bear country. You do NOT want a visitor coming into your camp. Also use the park rangers for info on back roads, legal camping spots, bear activity, water stops etc. Especially if you're going off the beaten path you can let them know where you intend to camp and for how long.
  15. ko77

ko77 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben!

Glad I got to meet you! And it has been my pleasure to help you get set up for your adventure!

Now to start planning my own....

Ko
  16. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys, I will keep you posted as much as I can.

Alright! Will do.
    Thank you!

Today I got the last bits done on the motorcycle at Mr. Ed's Moto. Don let me use his shop to work on the bike and he actually did most of the things for me. (I'm still such a rookie at this!) Adjusted the breaks a bit, replaced a light bulb and also some other things.
    Hereby, thank you very much again for your help and advice, Don.
    Also lots of thanks again to Ko Atteberry the chef from Cloud and Kelly's restaurant group who helped me so much and took care of my food during my stay in Corvallis.
    And last, but not least Randy, who let me stay at his place during the same period.
    I'm using the Tent Space thread to get in touch with people and the replies have been amazing. Everybody offers places to sleep. Also outside of the forum when I tell people about my plans, people just tell me to come stay with them when I'm ever in Louisiana or Idaho or wherever. This is just amazing to me. People are just so nice here. Hereby a big thanks to all those people that have offered me a place to sleep, advice or were just encouraging me so far.

So I hope to wake up early tomorrow and head out to the coast and then take the 101 south. Hopefully I will have some internet on the way, so that I will be able to reply to all the kind messages that I have gotten.

Attached Files:

everready, MRED and FadinFast like this.
  17. MRED

MRED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to wish you all the best riding this country has to offer. You are going to meet some amazing people, the ADV group for one, and see some of the best country and great people. Be open and enjoy the ride.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    New Orleans is a shit hole. No force on this planet or any other would get me to return there.

Baja to Alaska sounds like an awesome trip though. hit me up if/when you get to New England. Some neat places up here.
    wilsonjw42 and bajaburro like this.
  19. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to step on the kid's dream. You suck.
    wilsonjw42, Fddriver2, GHOC and 4 others like this.
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    That was not my intention. Starting like 30m in either direction is far better. NO itself was a dump. He's bound for a fantastic trip, I just would not recommend NO as a starting point.

My experience with NO was as follows:

• 9th Ward 10PM at night was sketchy as hell
    • Had to cover your mouth to talk while at St. Bernard State Park because mosquitoes would fill your mouth
    • The smell of piss, vomit, and booze on Bourbon St was nauseating
    • The meth head "palm readers" in front of the church
    • Beignets(sp?) in the French Quarter were over rated
    • RT10 was a mess with construction
    Had alligator though and that was great. But overall our trip was a mess those few days.

And a funny bit too we were cruising along a bog at night and we got slammed with some form of insect. Whole front of the truck, windshield, and camper were covered in bugs. It was a solid minute of smashing through clouds of bugs.

I was merely suggesting a different starting point was all.
    wilsonjw42, TheProphet and Guzzi-Mike like this.