North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Darwin, I will try the GoPro on top of the helmet for a while. If I don't like it, I will just change it...
  2. motoqueen

motoqueen One Life. Live It.

Oddometer:
    Very happy to hear you are able to continue your adventure :clap
  3. Tvileren

Tvileren Offroad Touring Club #888

Oddometer:
    I'm glad our community managed to help you out, kudos to Dwalt.
    Looking forward to the rest of your trip, a trip I and probably 75% of all inmates are envious of ;)

Drive beautiful and be safe.

Thomas
  4. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy to see you are back on the road...on a bike.
    KH
  5. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great to see back on two wheels!
  6. c17load

c17load Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ben, I've been away from the blog and come to find out all this craziness has happened, wish I could have been of some help. Walt, a noble thing you have done, there is a bottle of the best barrel select spirits the south has to offer headed your way. When Ben comes back through we will have to get together.
  7. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I heard Ben pull in, looked and it did not look like he was riding a KTM. The bike looked really familiar, wait a tic, that's @DWalt 's bike. How freaking cool is that!?!?!?! Kudos to Walt for loaning his bike out so that Ben could finish his ride.

We fed Ben some BBQ trifecta. Brisket, pulled pork and andouille sausage with grapes and DQ for dessert. No photos, we were eating and visiting.

Ben says that @DWalt is a great guy, but has not cooked anything for him. Huh, I said. Huh.

True story.

Phone rings. "Do I know anyone else with a Mn phone number?" Answers, chats. "Huh. That was @sks ,wonder how got my phone number."

A little bit later.... Oh, I texted him. Maybe he got it from that. :lol3
    JHpowderhound likes this.
  8. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    I seldom read RRs, spend most of my forum time in Inmates and JM, but I've been in the tent space thread for almost as long as it has been up. Never got a peep from it(I'm in the ass-end of nowhere) until today I get a request from Ben. Hells yes, come on along. See you Friday.
    barnyard and mutt550 like this.
  9. mutt550

mutt550 restless soul

Oddometer:
    It was great getting to meet you Ben! Enjoy the rest of the trip! I'll give you an update when back from Colorado.
  10. sks

sks n00b

Oddometer:
    Ben is riding the north shore today, using my hunting shack last night and tonight

Attached Files:

11. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I will catch up a bit on the report.

Friday:
    I woke up pretty early and was ready to continue heading north. Jim and Cathy, thank you for hosting me once again. Jim, enjoy riding through the Alps!
    I took the 5 north out of Mountain Home and at Versailles I got on the 52. The ride was pretty nice and I am definately more comfortable on the VStrom than a few days ago. At Eldon I got on the 87 and then back on the 5 at Boonville.
    image.jpeg
    I have to say that I like the Missouri countryside a little better than Arkansas; mainly because I can see more. It was a little bit more open and not just trees at the side of the road.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    At Fayette I called Chris from adventure rider and he gave me directions to a meeting point. We would meet at the intersection of the 3 and the BB, so I took the 240 from Fayette back onto the 5 and then got on the 3. We met at the mentioned intersection. Chris is a friendly guy; we talked for a little bit and he told me to follow him to his house. Chris was driving his car back home from work and I followed him over some gravel roads. We got on the BB and then got on CR-2440. Chris and his girlfriend Amy live in a nice house down a gravel road. They have a good looking yard with a shooting range in it; yes a shooting range! 'Murrica!
    We talked bikes and I actually cried a little bit on the inside when I saw Chris' beautiful KTM 990. We talked bikes and after an amazing dinner we shot some guns. I had a blast!
    In the afternoon I had already pitched my tent in the yard, but at the end of the day Chris and Amy invited me to sleep in the guest room. I was looking forward to a good sleep, because the next day I wanted to make it pretty far into Iowa.
    image.jpeg
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday:
    Chris and Amy made an amazing breakfast and before I knew it it was already 9:30 am, so I decided it was time to head out.
    Thank you Chris and Amy for hosting me. I had a great time! Chris, enjoy your trip to Colorado!
    I rode over a few gravel roads in order to get to the main road. I took CR-2440 and then went north on CR-2445. After CR-2210 I got on 24.
    image.jpeg
    I don't remember exactly where it was, but I got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding. The officer was actually really nice and invited me to come sit in his car to get out of the sun. While he wrote my ticket we talked a little bit and he told me that he was envious of me doing this trip. (Is that why he wrote me the ticket instead of giving me a warning? Haha) Anyways, I totally deserved the ticket. According to the trooper I went 21 miles per hour over the speedlimit. If only he knew...
    I rode on the 151 and took a left on J after which I got on the 151 again, going north. The ride was pretty nice, but man, there is a lot of farm land here. I rode over Highway K going east and then north on Highway H. After a town called Leonard that road turns into the 151. When I rode on the 15 I entered Iowa. The scenary doesn't change a lot; there is still a lot of corn. I rode over CR-V56 and then east on the 2. I really like how some of the places are exactly like in some movies. Have you ever seen a scene where someone gets to an intersection and in all four directions there is nothing except for corn fields and maybe a little farm in the distance. Well, it really is like that and I love it.
    I went north on CR-V64 and then turned left on 16. That road turns into Competine Road. After Bladensburg Road I rode on Competine Road again, going north. I took a bunch of small roads: left on 165th, north on Agency Hendrick Road, left on 149, north on 2, east on 6 and then north again on 21.
    The towns in southern Iowa look like they have had their best time. Most of the houses are empty and a lot of the stores seemed closed. It was actually pretty sad to see, because some of those empty houses looked really nice. I rode through Belle Plaine and then turned east on the 8.
    Here are some pictures that will give you a pretty good idea of what Iowa looks like:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I went north on the 218 and after La Porte City I got on CR-V51. That road turns into 281. Then I went north on Y avenue and then west on 3. Again, this is what happens if you design your road system as a perfect grid; I was basically turning every few minutes... I went north on Viking Avenue, which turns into Union Avenue. Finally I went right on 100th and then on Windsor.
    I was going to meet Mark from adventure rider. I had made a mistake putting in Mark's house number in my GPS, so at first I couldn't find it. The GPS told me to turn right into a corn field. I have seen some weird places where people live in this country, but I doubted that Mark sleeps in a tent in a corn field...
    I turned around and then I spotted a guy on a motorcycle who rode towards me and then turned around. I decided to follow him, I thought it might be Mark. And if it wasn't I could always ask him for directions. The biker turned at a house and when he greeted me by my name I knew it was Mark.
    Mark is friendly and relaxed guy and he let me stay in his camping trailer. Mark knows the area where I am heading well, so he recommended me some nice roads. We talked about motorcycle travelling and he brought me an amazing dinner. I met his family and he took me for a drive in the area in his beautiful Ford Mustang. It was a nice relaxing evening after a pretty long day.
    RiderRick, Banksbird and mutt550 like this.
  13. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday:
    After waking up I started putting my stuff back on the bike. Mark showed up with an amazing breakfast.
    Today I wanted to head out pretty early, because I wanted to make it to Sauk Rapids and meet Tom from adventure rider in the early afternoon.
    Thank you, Mark for hosting me. I had a good time; please send your family my regards.
    I rode north on Willow Avenue. I noticed over the last few days that I am not very comfortable riding the VStrom on gravel. I don't really like how the front wheel twitches when it hits very small rocks. I don't know if I still have to get used to that or maybe I have been spoiled with the big front wheel on my KTM... I will just take it slow when I come across gravel and hopefully it will become easier over the next few days.
    image.jpeg
    At Cresco I turned west on 9 and then north on 63, which took me into Minnesota! Minnesota is one of those states that we don't really hear a lot about in Europe, so I was curious to what I was I was going to see. Ironically this is probably the state that reminded me of home the most so far.
    image.jpeg
    After Stewartville I turned left on 30 and then north on 250th Avenue. I rode through some more farm land. It was nice, but I would be lying if I said that I was still enjoying it as much as a few days ago... It was getting a bit old; just a bit...
    image.jpeg
    After Kasson the 250th Avenue turns into the 57 and at Wanamingo I turned left on 60.
    Faribault is a pretty decent sized town and I turned north on the 21. I took that all the way to Montogomery and then turned on the 13. At a town called New Prague I turned west on 19. I rode over Church Avenue and then Union Hill Boulevard. At Belle Plaine I got on CR-5 N, Main Street and then Walnut Street, which turns into 25. After Green Isle I got on CR-15 and then went north on CR-9. That turns into Dairy Avenue, which turns into the 261. After Winsted that turns into CR-6 and then I turned on the 24. Finally I took the 10 at Clear Lake and rode into Sauk Rapids. Here I met Tom from adventure rider and his wife Bonnie. They are very nice and hospitable people. A couple of motorcycle friends of Tom came over and we had a good time sitting outside in the sun and relaxing. Tom made some great brisket, sausage and pork on thr grill. After some intensive testing we figured that it is the best to put all three of them together on one bun, because you can never eat too much meat.
    Brent from adventure rider called me and for a while I couldn't figure out how he had gotten my phone number... I thought I had sent him a PM on the forum, but after a while I realized that I had sent him a text message... I felt stupid... The next day I would have a short ride to Brent's hunting cabin.
    In the evening we went out for ice cream; today was another good day.
  14. dvmweb

dvmweb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1247.JPG Sanguis spent the night with us in Atlanta Michigan. Good man.
    barnyard and mutt550 like this.
  15. dvmweb

dvmweb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And,

Ben, it was nice to meet you. Safe travels. IMG_1248.JPG
  16. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe we really don't need to own an adventure bike.Just borrow and ride from one adv member to the other.
    GoGoGavin41 and barnyard like this.
  17. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Ben stayed here in Deckerville last night and headed out early this morning. Typically, I got no pix at all. Good luck the rest of the way around, Ben!
    barnyard likes this.
  18. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, thank you for your replies. I know that I am a little bit behind; I will try to catch up over the next few days.

Monday:
    Tom and Bonnie made me an awesome breakfast before I headed out. Today would be a pretty short ride, but I was looking forward to it.
    Thank you, Tom and Bonnie for hosting me and all your great stories!
    I rode out of town over the 10 after which I got on the 23. At Hinckley I got on the 48. The ride was through pretty farm land. Also the weather was really nice.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    After a while I turned on Fleming Logging Road which is partly paved and partly gravel. I was going to Brent's hunting cabin. When I got there I met Brent and his family. They are very friendly and hospitable people, who have this cabin in the woods; other people hunt bears out of it. Don't get fooled by the word 'cabin'. It is very nice; with electricity and everything. Did I mention that they have a creek running behind it?
    Around noon we rode four-wheelers through the woods to check on Brent's bear bait. First of all: riding four-wheelers through the woods is a lot of fun! We also took the pictures off one of his game camera's. We put the SD card from the camera in Brent's laptop and went through the pictures. We saw that every evening after sunset there is a bunch of bears playing, rolling around and feasting on the bait.
    Later Brent took me to the closest town in his truck and got me some metal wire to make one of those improvised throttle locks. Jason had made me one for my KTM when I was in Utah months ago. I remembered how he did it, so I made me one on Walt's VStrom.
    We had an amazing dinner and then we watched some Vikings. In the evening Brent and his family went back to their house after showing me how to lock up behind me for when I would leave on Wednesday morning.
    Just before Brent left he told me: "Oh, Ben, before I forget: if a bear tries to get in: there is a 12-gauge shotgun behind this door." Haha, this country is awesome.

20170904_112156.jpg
    20170904_170644.jpg
    barnyard and Banksbird like this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday:
    Today I was going to ride up the North Shore. The weather was nice over at the cabin, so I was hoping I would get lucky and stay dry the entire day.
    I rode north on Fleming Logging Road, which is gravel untill the intersection with CR-30, where I turned west. On the 123 I turned north and then got on the 23 through Askov. This part of the ride wasn't too bad, but it wasn't super interesting either. Some areas where farms, but most of it was riding through trees...
    image.jpeg
    I cut through a tiny part on Wisconsin and then rode through Duluth, which is a nice, small city. In Duluth the 23 turns into Grand Avenue, followed by Carlton Street and W Michigan Street.
    Then I headed to 61, which is the North Shore Scenic Drive. Very quickly I found out that there are only very few sections where you can actually see Lake Superior. The road is also pretty straight. I rode for miles and only saw the lake like 5 times. It was also pretty chilly and it was raining on and off. After a while I decided that if I don't see the lake for a stretch of more than 10 miles I would turn around and go back, because I was riding over a four lane road through trees, not seein anything and not enjoying myself. It wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to backtrack it all... The few times I did see the lake it was really nice, but I had to pull over every time, because it would just be stretches of a few yards at the time. If I would have kept riding it would just have been quick flashes.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Just before Gooseberry Falls State Park I had seen enough; I turned around and headed back. I took a slighty different way through Duluth, but afterwards I backtracked over the same road untill I got to Askov. There I took H C Andersen Alle, Brogade, Guvernorsvej Street, Jernbanegade, Beaver Tail Road and then turned on CR-30 and from there I took the same way back.
    Shortly after I got back to the cabin Brent came by to say hello. We had a good talk over a nice dinner. A few minutes after Brent went home I decided to call it a day.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    20170905_124820.jpg
    barnyard, mutt550 and KingFishman like this.