North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. torch

torch Solo Trecker

Oddometer:
    upload_2017-9-10_18-40-26.png
    upload_2017-9-10_18-41-26.png
    upload_2017-9-10_18-42-33.png
    Ben spent the Saturday night with wife and I in Coldwater MI. Very nice Guest and great conversationalist.
    However as you can see he has now changed his name de plume to Baby Face!
    Ride safe and stop by anytime. The dogs already miss you.
    Bill & Ginger
    bobw, phreakingeek, barnyard and 4 others like this.
  2. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Baby Face:roflIt's funny, because it's true.
    Thank you for having me over, Bill. Please say hi to Ginger for me.

Wednesday:
    I woke up pretty early in the hunting cabin and got everything loaded onto the bike. I waited a little bit for it to become light out, so that at least I would be able to see the deer if they would jump out in front of me.
    Thank you, Brent for letting me stay at your cabin. Please say hi to your family for me.
    I took the Fleming Logging Road south. Ofcourse it started raining a few minutes after I left the cabin... I rode past the nice farm land that I had seen two days before.
    image.jpeg
    I went east on 48 , which turns into the 77 when you get into Wisconsin. The ride was mainly through woods, but it was nice. The roads are very good here!
    image.jpeg
    I didn't see a lot of Wisconsin; a few hours after entering the state I was already in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. At Ironwood I got on the 2. It still raining on and off when riding through small towns and forest.
    image.jpeg
    At Crystal Falls I got on the 69, which I followed all the way back to the 2. At Escanaba there was some terrible road work going on; I got stuck in traffic for about an hour and there was a detour that took all the traffic over some small country roads. Instead going straight over the 2 to Rapid River (which would have literally taken less than five minutes) I had to take M5 Road, CR-420, 0.85 Road and then Rivers 22 Road onto the 35. I felt bad for all the people that live on these roads, outside of the towns, because they want to live in a quiet area; they were having more traffic during rush hour than a lot of places in LA!
    After getting out of the worst of the traffic I called Randy from adventure rider. He gave me directions on how to get to a meeting point.
    I got back on the 2 and then met Randy at a truck stop. Randy is a nice guy, who also has a KTM 990. That bike doesn't stop haunting me! I followed Randy over to Bay Shore Drive where he has a house that is being renovated. It is located beautifully on Lake Michigan. He was fine with me sleeping in it in order to stay out of the rain.
    image.jpeg
    MadRider777 likes this.
  3. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy's view of Lake Michigan:
    20170906_201118.jpg 20170907_074630.jpg
    bobw, barnyard, mutt550 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thursday:
    Randy showed up on his KTM 990 (ouch!) and he took me out for a nice breakfast. It was a big breakfast that would last me the entire day. We had a good talk and then I started riding east.
    Randy, thank you for breakfast and letting me stay in the house.
    I continued east over the 2; there was a bit of road work, so I took a detour: Prater Boulevard, Cur River Road and then back on the 2.
    I took a short break at a rest stop; a middle aged couple started talking me. They introduced themselves as Jim and Jill. Jim said that he used to ride a Harley and we talked a bit about motorcycles riding. They couldn't believe I was on the road for more than six months.
    When walking back to the bike, there was a lady walking past that said: "Ride safe, ey!". When I got to the bike I quickly checked my gps to make sure I didn't take a wrong turn and had ended up in Canada. Why do people say "Ey" here?
    Just before getting to the Macinac Bridge I pulled over at a view point. Some guy from Indiana was there on his motorcycle on his way to some kind of race at the North Shore. Or at least that is what I understood from his story. He talked really weird and I am pretty sure that he was on some sort of drug. Or that might just be hos people from Indiana are?
    I got on I75 to cross the Macinac Bridge, paid the four dollar toll and rode over it. It was pretty sketchy: the paved part was under construction, so I rode over the metal grated part with traffic stopping and going. Ofcourse it was also raining.
    After the bridge I took the 23 and turned south on Butler Road which turns into Black River Road.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Finally I got on the 33 and rode to Atlanta, Michigan. I met Walt from adventure rider at his veterinary clinic, which is located just south of town on country road 487. After a short introduction Walt gave me the keys to his house and gave me directions.
    I rode back to town and turned east on 32. After some miles I arrived at Walt's place. After getting settled Walt and his wife, Lou Ann arrived.
    Walt took me for a short hike through the woods with his pointer dogs. It was really cool to see how they actually look for birds point you to them.
    In the evening we had a great dinner and after watching some local news, I called it a day.
    84cubs and barnyard like this.
  5. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170907_170549.jpg
    Macinac Bridge:
    20170907_123032.jpg
  6. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!
    1stgenfarmboy, barnyard and davidaid like this.
  7. motoqueen

motoqueen One Life. Live It.

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride in MI. Did you ride down Tunnel of Trees ?

..and about that 'new look', the first thing that came to mind was "Zuckerschnute" :-)
  8. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you've lost the 'weary traveller' look
  9. torch

torch Solo Trecker

Oddometer:
    After Ben stayed with us I was going to send him a private thank you but decided it needed to
    be public.
    Did a search to find his name and found this post. I could not have said it better myself.
    So Walt if you ever run across me introduce yourself a cause dinner and or drinks are on me!
    Thank You,
    Bill. (Torch)
    bobw and mutt550 like this.
  10. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And fast!

I did not do the Tunnel of Trees; I went through the eastern part of the Lower Peninsula. Rode through some beautiful farmland there.

Give it a few weeks and I will look weary again. I am around civilization and in a pretty fancy area now for a week or so, so I didn't want to look like a hobo.

Friday:
    Walt and Lou Ann made a delicious breakfast and they made sure I took all kinds of snacks with me on the road.
    Thank you, Walt and Lou Ann for hosting me in Atlanta. I had a great time!
    I continued east on the 32 and then south on the 33. It was raining a bit, but Walt had checked the radar for me and told me I should be clear in a few minutes.
    I went east on 72, then turned on 65. I took a few smaller roads: Bamfield Road, Glennie Road, Stout Road and then finally Mikado-Glennie Road, which brought me to the lake. I wanted to follow the shore line with Lake Huron as much as I could, so I turned south on 23.
    I noticed that all along the coast there are houses. It is basically one very long town with a gap here and there where I could get close to the lake.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Before Omer I turned south on Arenac State Road and then took Worth Road.
    I rode south on Huron Road and then made my way through Bay City: east on Wilder Road, Harry S Truman Parkway, Trumbull Street and then onto the 25. For a while I was riding along the coast when I noticed a little dirt road; I checked the GPS and saw that it basically was a small cut-off and it looked like fun, so I turned on Pine Street and then Loosemore Road after which I got back on the 25. I am getting more comfortable taking Walt's V-Strom on gravel/dirt. It still feels a bit heavy to me, but it is a lot better than in the first few days.
    image.jpeg
    I rode through Port Austin, which is a pretty nice town. Actually all the small towns I ride through were pretty and seemed very quiet and peaceful.
    image.jpeg
    The weather had improved a lot since this morning. I turned west on Mills Road where Mike from adventure rider lives.
    Mike is a nice guy, who unfortunately had to stop riding motorcycles. He still has his motorcycles in his garage, so I could drool over some nice, old bikes.
    Mike told me about his motorcycle adventures back in the days over a nice dinner. Afterwards we just hung out and relaxed. The next days I was going to ride to southern Michigan and visit Bill and Ginger from adventure rider.
  11. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    How do you remember all of the road names? Do you write them down or do you have a mind like a steel trap?
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have a mind like a steel trap (except for when I have to remember where I left my keys) , but I don't have to use it for the road names :D. If I leave my GPS on all the time it just tracks where I have been. At the end of the day I just go over the route on my GPS and make notes of where I have been.

Saturday:
    I woke up pretty early and got everything ready to head out. Mike, thank you for hosting me. I really enjoyed your stories.
    I rode south on Ruth Road and then turned west on Deckerville Road. The sun was rising, but it was still really cold outside. My hands were not very happy with my decision to start riding early. Just after riding through Deckerville I had a very close call with some deer that decided it was a good idea to run across the road right in front of me...
    At Caro I turned on Caro Road and then south on 24. Then I went west on 46, south on 83 and west on Curtis Road. If you go south on Sheridan Road your road will merge with the 13. Fortunately it started to warm up and the ride was very nice. I rode through beautiful farm land and nice little towns.
    image.jpeg
    I continued west on 57 and then south on Corunna Road; west on E Johnstone Road, south on 52. From there I took a little detour to Hell. Yes, Hell; Hell, Michigan.
    image.jpeg
    I went east on 34 and then got on 36. After Gregory I got on Church Street, Unadilla Road, Doyle Road and Patterson Lake Road.
    The ride there was nice over some country roads, but the town is not very interesting, so I just turned around and went south on Glenbrook Road. I took Hankerd Road, went west on Territorial Road, Stofer Road, Island Lake Road, Werkner Road and then back on the 52 going south.
    I turned west on Michigan Avenue which is the 12. When I got to Coldwater I turned on Jackson Street where Bill and Ginger from adventure rider live.
    They are very nice people; Bill has some cool projects going: he his rebuilding his old Royal Enfield! Hopefully he will soon show up on it on one of the adventure rider rally's!
    We went to visit Bill's cousin Joe, who lives a few minutes away. He has tons of cool toys, including boats, motorcycles and cars.
    The next day I would go to Cleveland (civilization) and stay there for a while to visit my friend's family and do some bike maintenance, so I decided to shave. I forgot how much of a baby face I have without the beard...:(
    In the evening Ginger made a great dinner and Bill told his interesting stories. I had a great time in Coldwater.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    TropicalDale likes this.
  13. everready

Oddometer:
    Cleveland Ohio?
  14. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually I am in Pepper Pike, just east of Cleveland. Waiting for my tires, oil and filter to arrive. In the meantime my friends family is taking me to all kinds of places. It is a beautiful area!
    mutt550 likes this.
  15. everready

Oddometer:
    Wow! I'm about 20 minutes south of you in Macedonia. Enjoy your visit here. When do you plan to leave the area?
  16. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Once all the maintenance is done I will probably head out. I want to get to Maine and head down the coast before it gets cold there.
  17. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday:
    Bill took me out for breakfast at a nice local place. We both had the super healthy and nutritious biscuits and gravy. Shortly after returning to the house I loaded up all my stuff on the bike and everything was ready to go.
    Thank you, Bill and Ginger for hosting me and all your cool stories.
    I went east on Race Street and then south on Clay Street which merges with the 69. The weather was beautiful and it was a great day to ride.
    I turned on Angola Road and then went east on Southern Road. After taking Delmar Road I got on State Line Road. In this area I got lost and I wasn't sure what state I was in; could have been Indiana, Michigan or Ohio. After a while I decided to look on my GPS to see where I was. I was on Country Road 800 apparently and my GPS directed me to go ahead.
    image.jpeg
    After a few minutes the road got pretty narrow, sandy and bumpy. I got to a fence that had a few signs on it. They didn't look too inviting: "Trespassers will be shot"... A normal "no trespassing" sign would have been enough, thank you... I turned around and went south on Country Road 875 and then east on Country Road 750.
    image.jpeg
    I saw some Amish people riding their carts in this area.
    image.jpeg
    After taking Camden Road and going south on 49 I rode into Ohio. Ohio is super nice; the farms are beautiful and the roads are very good. Maybe my first impression of Ohio was also a influenced by the near-perfect weather.
    I went west on the 20 for a bit and then south on the 49 again. At Hicksville I got on High Street and then Defiance Avenue.
    I did notice a sign saying that the road was closed a few miles ahead, but the signs were shoved to the side and onto the grass, so I didnt think the road was closed anymore. Defiance Avenue turns into State Route 18. I kept riding past nice farm land, until there was an actual road closure. In hindsight I should've known...
    I stood on the pegs in order to see over the barricade, while making a 180 degrees left turn. I underestimated how top-heavy this bike is, while over estimating my speed, so I just kinda dropped the bike on its left side. I was able to just step off. A little bit of gas started dripping out of the top of the tank, nothing to be concerned about, but I wanted to pick up the bike as fast as possible.
    I took the dry bag and sleeping mat off the motorcycle in order to get rid of some weight and lifted the bike up. I am definately in worse shape than half a year ago... That was tough!
    I wanted to get the kickstand down, so I could load up the gear again, but it didn't come down... The side stand was stuck on the center stand, so I couldn't get either of them down.
    Only after a few second I realized the situation I was in: I was standing with the bike in my hands, my gear not all loaded up, helmet off and not being able to let go of the bike. And there was nobody around... If I would let go of the bike and load up my gear I would probably not be able to pick it up again.
    I was pretty screwed; there was no one around and the only house in a range of about a mile seemed abandoned.
    While holding up the bike I kicked and punched down on the side stand. It must have been pretty hilarious if somone was seeing this: a guy standing in the middle of the road, holding his bike and not being able to leave.
    After like ten minutes I finally was able to loosen the side stand and then load up my gear again... It was pretty tricky to balance the bike while getting that stand loose.
    All happy that I was riding again I turned around and went north on Lake Road, east on Thiel Road, south on Rosedale Road, making my way around the road closure. I turned left on State Route 18. Just before Defiance the 18 merges with the 15 and takes you through the town on Clinton Street. I cut out of town taking Ayersville Avenue and then east on Standley Road, which brought me back on the 18. The 18 goes east, but many times you have to get on another road in order to continue east. I am not going to mention all those little turns, because they are self explanitory.
    image.jpeg
    After Republic the 18 turns into the 162. The same story applies for the 162: it zig-zags a bit; I won't bother you with all the other roads that it merges with for a few yards at the time.
    South of Medina the 162 ends and I got on Wooster Pike. I got on Sharon Copley Road, north on Jacoby Road and then Ridgewood Road. I was entering the Cleveland metropolitan area on my way to visit the family of a friend, who know from my time in the military.
    I took Miller road and then Market street and Ghent Road. I was not looking forward to riding miles and miles through the city; stopping and going, getting stuck in traffic. I was pleasently surprised that I could pretty much just roll through.
    I Rode over Cleveland Massillon Road which turns into Brecksville Road. I have to say that this city is actually pretty nice and not bad at all traffic-wise. Definately not like the other big cities that I have been in.
    I took 21/Brecksville Road and then went east on Rockside Road, north on Warrensville Center Road and then east on Shaker Boulevard. Finally I turned north on Brainard where my friends family lives. Today's ride was beautiful.
    Frank, my friends uncle, has some old Indians and an old Harley. I met Frank's wife, Beth and his daughter, Molly. In the evening Frank took me to a regional fundraiser dinner.
    I had a set of tires and oil shipped to Frank's house. They should arrive soon. In the meantime I will rest here, in the Cleveland area. Frank's family is taking me to do all kinds of fun stuff: exploring the area, operating heavy trucks and other machinery, going dirt biking etc. Looking forward to it!
  18. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monday - Thursday:
    I have been shown around in the area east of here, went to their family's business (they own a scrapyard and let me operate some heavy machinery) and also down town.
    Tons of fun!

One of Frank's Indians, on display in his house:
    20170910_204927.jpg
    Chagrin Falls: 20170911_161215.jpg 20170911_161905.jpg 20170911_163325.jpg
    More pictures will follow.
    KingFishman likes this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170912_124341.jpg 20170912_133809.jpg 20170912_135207.jpg 20170912_140420.jpg
    ClineDesign likes this.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170912_140929.jpg 20170912_142834.jpg 20170912_171838.jpg
    KingFishman and ClineDesign like this.