North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MRED

MRED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ben, its a good thing you left Corvallis/Albany when you did, we had snow last night and the schools are closed today.
  2. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Ben:
    Welcome,best wishes for a safe & adventure filled experience.I trust that you will find things above & beyond you expectations. Do not dismay any negative comments or actions, for we as a country are welcoming, warm, affectionate people, willing to show off the best we have to offer.
    I will subscribe to this thread & follow along with anticipation as your adventure unfolds, just remember that no matter what,anything you need, or want can be found here amongst the finest folks in motorcycling.
    Shiney side up,
    Rubber side down.
    anniesimaginings, MotoRojo and ArrinD like this.
  3. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    "In Holland people would probably just answer you with as little words as possible and if you're lucky give you a forced little smile.
    Don't get me wrong. Holland is great and all, but people are just less open and enthousiastic."

I must respectfully disagree, mijn vriend. I've never been treated more warmly or gotten more help while traveling than my trips to the Netherlands. I hope you will be treated as well in my country as I have been in yours! :-)
    DWalt likes this.
  4. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I have been to Holland many times in my younger years and was always treated with kindness by helpful people. Welcome to my country! You're on the ride of a life time. Hopefully, you're out of the rain for a few days. I'll be following along on your trip.
  5. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:

hi Ben, great trip lined up. i had a 990, great bike, now on 690 better for small NZ.
    anyway if that stock 990 seat gives you a sore arse stop by at Bill Mayer (rocky) seats, youll pass his area on way down coast. super comfortable seats,definaley worth the money. heres a photo of a russell seat on my 690. and the mayer which is on my KLR which i leave in the states.
    IMG_1340.JPG Image.jpg
  6. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    just saw you latest photos, looks like you have seat sorted already.. good work.
  7. ArrinD

ArrinD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben,
    It was great meeting and riding with you yesterday. Man...getting out of there in the dark last night....was a bitch. Hope it was easier fof you this morning. I'll be following your thread till we meet again. Keep it safe brother 20170306_173740.jpg
  8. ArrinD

ArrinD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad picture but you get the gist of the ride. 20170307_071543.jpg
  9. ArrinD

ArrinD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170306_180705.jpg
    rubline likes this.
  10. Martim Guerra Silva

Martim Guerra Silva Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben!

That's awesome, you seem to be having an awesome start! You're basically doing part of the same trip as I am, but we seem to be going in opposite directions at the moment. Check out my Ride Report, and once we cross each other we should hang out! I'm heading for Big Bend National Park now, and am currently considering if I want to go south into Mexico, and take the ferry into Baja, or go west into Arizona/New Mexico and then south into Baja from California.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/florida-to-san-francisco-and-mexico-the-slow-way.1206931/
  11. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really appreciate your support, help and advice.

The previous owner had his seat customized by Don from Mr. Ed's Moto and it is also perfect for me. Very comfortable on these long rides.

Hey man,

I'll check out your report. In a couple of days I hope to be in Arizona. Let me know what you have decided.

Yesterday I left Saratoga after a good nights sleep and set my GPS for Santa Cruz and from there to Castroville. I really wanted to go through Big Sur, but unfortunately it was closed. (I hope I get to ride there on my way back up north.) So instead I rode over some awesome country roads with amazing views on my way to Atascadero, where ArrinD lives. From mountains to lakes and rolling hills and dense forests. California has everything.
    Arrin took me for an amazing local ride to and in Los Padres National Forest. It started of with nice country roads, then it turned in "paved" roads to the top of a mountain, where we took some nice pictures of the surroundings and Arrin pointed to some cool stuff: we could see all the way to the Sierra Mountains.
    The ride ended with my first off-road experience to the camp ground where I'd be spending that night. It was rough... I was pretty nervous to say the least. A 1000cc bike with full travel gear is quite heavy, but soon I figured out I just had to let the bike do its thing and not try to fight it. I wasn't gonna win it anyway.
    It took a while, but when we finally got to the campground we made some simple dinner and exchanged war stories, after which I prepared my gear to spend the night there. How Arrin's ride out of there was, you can read in his comment above haha
    I was kinda nervous. I had never been all alone at night in the middle of nowhere. I guess it's something you have to get used to.
    Thank you all again for your nice replies and I hope to post soon about today.
    Ben

Attached Files:

rubline likes this.
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I got some time, so I wanted to tell you about today. This morning I woke up in Los Padres National Forest. It was so cold, that I stayed in my sleeping bag for a few minutes before I gathered the courage to get out and get dressed. Packed up all my camping gear, checked my motorcycle, made sure I hadn't forgotten anything and I was on my way.
    First I had to ride back up that dirt road that Arrin and me rode down the day before, but this time I was alone. I was nervous and I knew I was goimg to have a bad time picking up the bike if I were to drop it.
    All went well and and I even overcame the spot with the loose sand where I had dropped it the day before. But ofcourse I lost balance around 200 metres before the end of the trail... I went too slow and I kind of just fell to the side. Fortunately I could just step of the bike in time.
    I tried picking up the bike with all the gear on, but it was just too heavy, so I took off all the bags of the back. I backed into the bike and managed to get it back up again. Strapped everything back on and I was on my way to Los Angeles, where a friend of mine lives. We served in the same unit in the military and hadn't seen eachother in a couple of years.
    Getting there was a pain though. The traffic was aweful and it feels like I rode for hours. After looking at the map, it appears that I've only crossed a tiny part of this huge city.
    The road to Los Angeles was beautiful though. Very spectacular with nice, twisty mountain roads.
    At one point, when I was taking pictures at the side of the road, a gentleman pulled over in his van. We talked for a bit and he said that he owns the same bike as me and that he used to make trips like the one I am on now. Not anymore though, because a car hit him from the side a while ago when he was on his bike, so he got a replaced hip. Now he can't pick up his bike anymore in case he drops it. That made me realise sgain how vulnerable someone is on a motorcycle...
    I will stay at my friend's apartment for two nights and then I will head out to San Diego. From there I will make my way east to the New Orleans area.
    If anyone knows any good places (tent spaces, free campgrounds etc.) to stay on that route, I am open to suggestions.
    Thank you again for all your help and support so far.

Ben image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    20170307_134030.jpg
    davidaid and juno like this.
  13. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    Did you consider heading east from SF (get out of the traffic), through Yosemite, than down to Death Valley. I made it in one day, and camped in DV. Then Vegas the next day. Then the North Rim the next. Then the four corners and Moab the next... lol
    The possibilities are endless!!!

Have fun D00d!!
    ArrinD likes this.
  14. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    awesome trip, following this report. Have a good trip man!

Ruud (a fellow Dutch, living in Barcelona)
  15. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading east is not an option. Cold, snow, passes all closed. Not motorcycle weather.
    I don't know why people insist on stopping me to tell me how they used to ride and then describe the injury that caused them to stop riding.
    Happens all the time.
  16. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Not sure when, or if, you plan to come thru Vancouver Island in British Columbia, but if you do and want some suggestions, maybe even a nice shower and place to stay overnight, PM me. I've done a lot of BC, went to school in the Yukon, and just rode up there in 2015 so can give some suggestions on your route through BC as well.

I'm sure I can talk my wife into taking in another potential serial killer (kidding!) biker over night. There's Ferries involved, just a heads up, but we are well worth seeing.
    rubline likes this.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    You end up in New England at all there shouldn't be an issue with you spending a night here. I even have some posts setup for a hammock.
  18. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    Didn't think about that....

It's been spring here all winter.
  19. Sinnergy

Sinnergy Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Maybe you just look like an injury waiting to happen? :hide

Seems you're making pretty good time, Ben. Stay safe, we'll be watching.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Thank you for all your kind replies.

Yeah, both Jeff and Don told me about this. It's too bad, but I hope to pass through all these places on my way back, when the weather is nice.

Thank you so much for your kind offer. I'm not a 100% sure I will be in that area, but if I am, I will definately contact you.
    You can tell your wife that so far all my hosts are still alive. Hopefully that will make your convincing process a bit easier haha.

Thank you so much. I will definately be in New England later this year!

So far Los Angeles has been very nice. The warm weather is a welcome change. My friend and his roommate have been very hospitable and interested in this trip that I am making. This morning I restocked some food and let some of my stuff air out on his balcony. Again I was stunned by the view.
    Tomorrow morning I will head out to San Diego. I have a cousin living in La Jolla, that goes to university there that I have never met before.
    20170308_111224.jpg