North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Looks like all is well, Ben :thumb Glad you got caught up!
  2. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are coming through Lancaster Pennsylvania, hit me up, we can put you up for a night!
  3. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your kind replies and offers!

Friday - Sunday:
    Done a lot of fun stuff over the last few days: dirt biking, UTV off-roading, go-karting.
    On Friday I had the tires on the VStrom changed to K60's and in the evening I had a great Shabbat dinner with my friend's family.
    On Sunday my friend's uncle, Philip and his son Matan and his friend Jack took me dirt biking. We trailered dirt bikes to Pennsylvania and did some trails. I really wish I had done this as a kid; it is such a good base to have for adventure riding!
    The UTV got a flat, so we missed out on a tour through a mine, but we went go-karting instead, which was also tons of fun.
    On Monday I am going to continue riding. Over the next few months I want to ride to Maine and then make my way down the East Coast to Florida. If I have some time left I will ride through the Deep South for a few more days before dropping off the bike at Walt's.
    I have had a great time in the Cleveland area, but I am also looking forward to continuing the trip!
    IMG-20170917-WA0001.jpg
    1stgenfarmboy, qman8, burley and 3 others like this.
  4. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you didn't take a pic of the bike laying on her side! ??

I warned you about the kickstand thing
    Been there d
  5. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Poor Ben...we were such poor hosts, the only thing we were able to feed him was chapolines.... otherwise known as grasshoppers!!! 20170918081249.JPG
  6. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Seriously though, we enjoyed your company Ben. Welcome to stop again on your way back south. Have a great trip!
  7. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next time I drop it, I will take a picture. Promise.

Hi Quint, thank you for hosting me! Please send Jen my regards.

Monday:
    I slept in and got all my gear ready to leave. I headed out around noon towards New Philadelphia.
    Frank, Beth and Molly, thank you so much for hosting me. I had a great time spending time with you and your family in Cleveland. Please send everyone my regards.
    I went east out of the metropolitan area and got on Kinsman Road. I turned south on Gingerich Road and then on Tavern Road. At Parkman I got on High Street, Madison Road and then on Nelson Parkman Road.
    The weather was beautiful today and I took my time riding through the nice Ohio countryside. I followed Parkman Road south until I turned on the 82. Then I went south on 534.
    image.jpeg
    After getting on the 5, I turned south on 225 and then west on Tallmadge Road. There are no tall peaks or steep cliffs, but the scenary in Ohio is very nice in its own way. I went south on Alliance Road, which turns into the 225 again and eventually that one turns into Union Avenue. That I took straight through the town of Alliance. At Minerva I got on Lincoln Way, Market Street, McKinley Street and then Valley Street.
    image.jpeg
    Again I saw some Amish people; never talked to one, but all of them wave to me and I wave back. So af far as I am concerned they are the nicest people.
    I rode over the 183 into Waynesburg and took Main Street and then Lisbon Street. Then I continued south on Gerdanville Avenue and turned right on Bachelor Road.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    After Magnolia that road changes into 183. When I took the 800 and then the 416 I rolled into New Philadelphia, where Quint and Jen from adventure rider live.
    I got there before Quint or Jen were home from work, but they left their camper trailer open for me. After a while Quint arrived; Quint is a good guy who has travelled all over the country. Jen came home from work an hour or so later. She is a very friendly lady and the three of us sat in the back yard and had some good talks.
    Quint and Jen made a great dinner and after that it was already pretty late, so I decided to call it a day.
    bobw and KingFishman like this.
  8. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday:
    I woke up in the camper trailer and got everything ready to go. Thank you, Quint and Jen for your hospitalty and good stories.
    I was on my way to Gibsonia, just north of Pittsburgh, where I would go visit Kyle and Stina. I had met them in Tok, Alaska, when John, Dale and I were on our way down to the lower 48. They were also on their way south and we would run into them again once more when waiting for Dale to return with John's tire.
    I rode out of New Philadelphia and hopped on the 39 to East Liverpool. I got on Webber Way, Dresden Avenue, Grant Street, St. Clair Avenue, McKinnon Avenue, Anderson Boulevard and then got back on the 39.
    image.jpeg
    I don't exactly remember where it was, but I rode through those mentioned small streets. Some of those were very steep up hill and half the time I was looking straight into the sun, so I couldn't see much. Straight ahead of me I say that the road was closed, so I looked in my mirror before making my 180 degree turn. Then I noticed that there was a police car behind me with flashing lights. Not again...
    I pulled over, turned off the engine, took off my helmet and waited for the cop to come to me.
    "Good morning, sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"
    "No, sir, I do not."
    "You were riding against traffic in a one-way street."
    "Oh, I am sorry, sir. I didn't see the sign, I was being blinded by the sun."
    He then explained to me where the sign was and asked for all my paper work. I got off the bike in order to dig up everything and noticed a second police car had arrived also.
    The first officer checked my license, looked a bit confused and asked if it maybe was an out-of-state license haha. When I told him it was a Dutch license he asked for my international license and continued to ask what I was doing here on a bike that wasn't mine. After telling him the entire story he called over his collegue that was standing at the side. I was asked to tell him as well. I repeated the story to the second cop and slowly I could see a grin appear on his face.
    "Man, you can't give this guy a ticket. You have to give him a pass!"
    After they gave me back my papers, we continued to talk for a while. They were really nice guys, who were genuinly interested. I wasn't in a rush, so I asked them about their job and so forth.
    Some people asked me after the last time I was pulled over in Missouri, why I didn't ask the cop for a picture, so hereby:
    20170919_103108.jpg 20170919_103050.jpg
    So instead of a ticket I got a picture. They recommended me some good places to get coffee (I don't drink coffee, but whatever) and told me to just ride through the road closure, so that I wouldn't have to go all the way around. I asked if it wasn't a prank and another cop would be waiting for me on the other side of the closure. After ensuring me that that wasn't the case I thanked them for not giving me a ticket and I was on my way.
    I rode into Pennsylvania and the road turns into the 68 there. I took the 168, turned right on Blackhawk Road and then north on Martin Road. After that I went back on the 168, which turns into Salem Church Road. Then I took Old Darlington Road into Darlington.
    It was very hot today, so once in a while I took a little break in order to cool off a bit and drink some water. I took Elmwood Boulevard and then the 351; after a while that road turns into Fairlane Boulevard. After taking Arthur Street, 5th Avenue I got on the 351.
    The more east I rode, the more it looked like how I had always imagined New England. I took River Road, Cherry Hill Road and Brown Road.
    I took Brighton Road, Hillside Avenue, 65, Zelienople Road, 288, 68, 528, Washington Street, Mars Evans City Road, Mars Valenciz Road and finally Babcock Road. I arrived at Kyle's and Stina's place in the early afternoon. It was great to see them and again and I was glad to to hear they made it (relatively) safely home. Why relatively, you ask? Stina got hit by a cow when riding her bike in Baja. Fortunately she got very lucky and got away with some scratches and bruises.
    They took me to Pittsburgh in their car and showed me around all the cool places. I got to see all the big steel mills and part of down town. They treated me on one of the best sandwiches I have ever had and when we got back to the house Kyle let me ride his KTM 500 over his self made enduro track. That bike is fun! I wish I had a dirt track in my back yard...
    20170919_180355.jpg
    After that Kyle let me take his DR650 for a spin. It is a lot smoother and fun to ride than I expected. This, in combination with how cheap it is and easy maintenance, would probably make it my choice for a hypothetical future trip.
    In the evening we sat around a fire and Kyle made chicken wings on it. Good times!
    mutt550, everready, bobw and 2 others like this.
  9. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pictures from Pittsburgh:
    20170919_160809.jpg 20170919_152253.jpg 20170919_134611.jpg 20170919_134314.jpg
    chudzikb, bobw, MikeyT and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday:

The first thing that happened in the morning is that my GoPro mount broke. Great... Fortunately Kyle had a spare and was nice enough to give it to me. At least it broke when trying to mount it and now while riding 70 miles per hour down the road.
    Thank you, Kyle and Stina for hosting me. I had a great time in Pittsburgh!
    I backtracked a bit over Babcock Boulevard and rode into Valencia.
    image.jpeg
    I took Three Degree Road, got on the 228 and then north on 8. After Butler I got on the 68, which I took all the way to Clarion.
    It was very hot again today. I thought that I would be cold in New England in fall... I guess I was wrong. I continued over the 322, 66 and at Kane I got on the 6. I was on my way to Chip's cabin. Chip is on adventure rider and has a nice cabin on a lake in Up State New York.
    After Smethport I got on 46 and then 446, which took me into the Empire State.
    image.jpeg
    I rode over 305, 417, 19 and back on 417 through Painted Post. The traffic is pretty bad in this area and the road work didn't make it any better. It was hot and dry, but at least the scenary was nice.
    image.jpeg
    You see how terrible the traffic is? image.jpeg
    I took the 414 and at Montour Falls I took Steuben Street and made my way to the 224. After 228 I got on Cool Lea Camp Road where Chip has his cottage. It is super nice and it is fully equipped. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Chip, but it still amazes me how awesome the adventure rider community is. Without even meeting me, Chip let me stay at his cottage.
    Honestly, the ride today was pretty boring, but I was enjoying the starting foliage; the colors are beautiful and I am sure they will only get more spectacular by the day.
    bobw likes this.
  11. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    chudzikb likes this.
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thursday:
    From Chip's cottage I headed back to the 228 and turned on the 79. It was pretty foggy, but honestly that made it really nice to ride after a few hot days.
    image.jpeg
    I rode through Ithaca, which seemed like a nice college town with some beautiful old houses.
    Frat house, I suppose?:
    image.jpeg
    I took the 13 and went into Cortland. This area is really beautiful with all the color changes. I turned on the 80, then took the 26, 20, 12, 8, 30 and then back on the 8.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    After taking the 9 I got on Glendale Road which took me through Pottersville. On East Schroon River Road there is a campground where Rich from adventure rider owns a camp site. He told me that I can pitch my tent there, no problem.
    I got everything set up, ate something and got ready to go to sleep. It was still pretty early, but I was looking forward to a long nights sleep. Ofcourse this didn't happen; I was catching up with friends over the phone and before I knew it, it was midnight. Great...
    I told everyone to shut up and I went to sleep.
    mac w b, chudzikb, qman8 and 4 others like this.
  13. burley

burley alaskan wanderer

Oddometer:
    Have been lurking since we meet on the Oregon Coast, you on the ktm headed north, myself on the drz south bound,just a moment in time,both doing the same thing,living the dream.
    Life sure is grand it doesn't get much better than living on your bike,going when and where you want meeting awsome like minded people,seeing this wonderful planet in her best and worst, it's a hell of a ride,if in your headed down south, check out, two wheels suches in North Georgia, and icing on the cake barbers vintage festival, it was awsome to meet ya hope to run into you again,thanks for posting,keep on rolling brother!!!
  14. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
  15. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, thank you for your replies. I will try to catch up a little bit over the next few hours.

Friday:
    I woke up and decided not to let the tent and tarp dry out. There was no sun, because of all the trees; it would take forever until it would be dry. I packed my tent and all the other gear onto the bike. I was heading for New Hampshire where I would meet Liam from adventure rider.
    Thank you, Rich for letting me stay at your camp site.
    I headed east into Vermont. Immediately when I started riding I noticed how gnarly the sun was. Half the time I was completely blinded and had so slow down in order not to ride off the edge of the road.
    I continued over East Schroon River Road and then took the 8 and 9N. After taking Montcalm Street onto the 74 I got to a ferry crossing. The ferry takes you into Vermont. It is a short ferry ride that costs five dollars, but it was really nice.
    image.jpeg
    There was a friendly Harley rider, who was doing a two-day trip across part of New England. We rode together for a while.
    In Vermont I turned on the 73 and then took the 30. There is a little dirt short cut called Schoolhouse Road, which takes you back onto the 73. Yes, the Harley rider followed me over the dirt! I rode through Brandon and before Rochester I got on the 100 and then turned on Bethel Mountain Road. That turns into Camp Brook Road. It was a beautiful ride through foresty hills and low mountains; very enjoyable!
    image.jpeg
    I got on Watershed Road followed by the 12, Church Street, Main Street, 107, 14, 110 and 113.
    image.jpeg
    After taking 224, 5 and Bridge Street (25a) you ride into New Hampshire. I was on my way to meet Liam from adventure rider, who lives in Bartlett.
    I took the 10, 25A, 118, 112 and Bear Notch Road, which turns into Albany Avenue.
    image.jpeg
    After the 302 I took Intervale Resort Loop and from there I got on Thorn Hill Road. I had a bit difficulty finding Liam's house, but after some directions over the phone I pulled into his drive-way a few minutes later.
    Liam had a family emergency, so he had to leave, but quickly showed me around. He was very hospitable and told me to make myself at home.
    Liam said he would be home at around 11 pm. I updated my RR for a while and waited till 11:30. Liam hadn't shown up yet, so I decided to call it a day.
    KingFishman likes this.
  16. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday:
    I woke up and started loading up all my stuff on the bike. A few minutes later Liam also woke up. I stayed a short while and we had a good talk. Liam is a nice guy with some very cool hobbies; he has rock climbed all over the USA! I am glad I got to know him.
    Thank you, Liam for hosting me.
    I went back south over Thorn Hill Road and then on Intervale Resort Loop. Liam recommended me to take Hurricane Mountain Road, so I took the 302 and then turned on that road. It is amazingly twisty, but I went during the wrong time of the day: I got blinded by the sun pretty badly, so I couldn't go the speed that I wanted to go...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I turned on Green Hill Road and Chatham Road, which brought me into Maine.
    The ride here is very pretty: I took 113, Harbor Road, Shave Hill Road, 5, 93 and then Waterford Road which turns into Sweden Road.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    The weather was really beautiful today, so I just decided to take short water breaks and keep riding: 37, 118, 117, 140, 17, 4, 2, 27 and finally Holley Road. I got to the Marble Farm. Richard is on adventure rider and I was welcome to stay in his camper trailer. Richard and his son Andrew were at a local fair, so I didn't get to meet them today.
    Their farm is located in a beautiful area; imagine low hills, slightly tall grass, trees with early color changes, chickens running around and cows grazing in the grass. Just gorgeous.
    Richard's wife, Weslene showed me around the farm and got the trailer all set up.
    For some weird reason I was really tired, so I took a powernap of about thirty minutes.
    Tomorrow I will ride to Acadia NP and meet my friend, Sharon, who I haven't seen in years and then I will ride back to the farm and spend another night there.
    Sarah, Richard's and Weslene's daughter in law was also at the farm and I was invited to have dinner with her, her kids and Weslene. After an amazing dinner I went to sleep, because the next morning I would head out early to Acadia.
    More pictures will follow!
    chudzikb likes this.
  17. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more pictures from Friday:
    New Hampshire:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Vermont:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    chudzikb likes this.
  18. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday, Maine:
    20170923_153606.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    ktjim and Vrode like this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday:
    Today I am going on a day trip to Acadia National Park and meet up with my friend Sharon and her boyfriend Guy.
    I took Holley Road back to the 27 and then took the 2 east, hopped back on the 27, 225, 137, 11 and back on the 137.
    image.jpeg
    I was riding east, so I was being blinded by the sun this morning. It took me a while to realize that on my way back west later that afternoon I would also be blinded...
    I took the 202, 137 and 1. After Ellsworth I got on the 3.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    In Bar Harbor I met my friend Sharon and Guy. It was really great to see her again and they asked me if I wanted to do the Acadia loop with them in their car. I parked my bike in a place that looked safe and we did a loop through Acadia NP. We stayed mostly on the east side of the eastern peninsula. The views were really nice and we had lunch on some rocks in the sea.
    image.jpeg
    More pictures of Acadia will follow.
    We noticed the tide getting in, we got off the rocks just in time... Otherwise we would have to jump very far in order to get back on land!
    After the loop they drove me back to where my bike was parked and we said our goodbyes. I will stay with Sharon for a few days next week, so I would see her again. We will do a few day trips into New York City together. Should be fun!
    The way back to Farmington was pretty much the same as the way to Acadia. The only differences in the north east corner of the peninsula: Crooked Road, Norway Drive and then back on the 3. Also: close to Farmington the GPS sent me on Weeks Mills Road, Crystal Vale Road, Clearwater Road, Savage Road, Mosher Hill Road and then it wanted to send me over a "road"' which wasn't a road at all. I could see that is was at some point; years ago.. It was completely overgrown and even had trees on it. I decided not to do that so close to sunset on a fully loaded bike... So I turned around and got on 43, turned north on 27 and then Holley Road.
    When I came back to the Marble Family Farm I met Richard. Richard is a very friendly guy with a lot cool stories. Not going to lie: I had a hard time understanding his thick Maine accent at first, but after a while and a few misunderstandings later I was able to follow pretty well.
    Before going to sleep Richard took me out for a sandwich and we exchanged stories. It was really cool to hear about the farm that had been passed down for generations.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acadia National Park:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    20170924_121048.jpg
    20170924_122425.jpg
    68vette, qman8, 1stgenfarmboy and 3 others like this.