1. eNewsletter Sign Up

North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monday:
    Before leaving the farm this morning I met Richard's and Weslene's son, Andrew. Weslene brought me some awesome blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
    Richard, Weslene, Andrew and Sarah, thank you for your hospitality. I very much enjoyed my stay at the farm.
    I took mostly the same way from where I had come from a few days earlier. The only differences are: 133 and 156, Bennett Street, Thompson Road. Only once I got to Buckfield I split up from my previous route and took Loring Hill Road, N Hill Road, 124, 11 and N Raymond Road.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Again it was really hot today, so I took my time and drank plenty of water. In the morning I noticed that the clutch was acting a bit weird and then I saw that the reservoir was empty. A few minutes later I was basically riding without a clutch. After a few hours I noticed a Napa autoparts store. Fortunately they had the right fluid, so I bled out the clutch in their parking lot and topped it off. It now works perfectly again.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I took 26, Shaker Road, 100 and then 26 into Portland. After taking Mona Road I got to where Stephen and Ann from adventure rider live.
    Before Stephen returned from work, Ann showed me around the house and later in the afternoon Stephen took me for a tour around the city and told me a out the history if it; very interesting. Portland is a very nice small city with a lot of history and some of the views over the ocean are beautiful.
    In the evening he took me for a nice dinner at one of his favourite places.
    mac w b likes this.
  2. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday:
    Stephen made a nice breakfast for me before I headed out. Thank you, Stephen and Ann for hosting me. I am glad that I could spend the night in Portland.
    I left Portland by going back onto the 100 and then turning left on Allen Avenue followed by the 302. After taking Warren Avenue and Cumberland Street, the 25 brings you into New Hampshire.
    image.jpeg
    The ride was pretty nice over the 16 and 28, but once I took Dover Road and the 9 into Concord it just turned into a parking lot. The traffic was terrible and I have no idea why; it is a relatively small town and it was the middle of the day. I took N Main Street, Pleasant Street and then the 13 to get out of the town.
    I was going to meet Mike and Jessica from adventure rider, so 8 took South Street, Logging Hill Road, Bow Center Road, Woodhill Road and finally Dunbarton Center Road and Robert Rogers Road.
    I met Jessica and her parents and a while later also Mike, when he came back from work.
    I cooled off in the pool that they fortunately hadn't closed for winter yet and in the late afternoon I set up my tent in their yard, which was nice and quiet, except for the occasional noises from their chickens.
    Mike went back to school in the afternoon and in the evening Jessica invited me over to have dinner with her, her parents and her son, Jack.
    After dinner Mike came home from class and we exchanged some travel stories. It was cool to hear about his adventures.
    mac w b and chudzikb like this.
  3. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday:
    After packing all my gear I tried to start the bike and it didn't. What the...
    Untill today (the day of posting this update) I have no idea why. I tried bump starting it; it did something, but not enough to get it started. I decided to try jump starting it, which fortunately worked, so I was on my way.
    I rode over Robert Rogers Road and turned south on the 13, Gorham Pond Road, 114, Parker Road, 13 and then rolled into Massachusetts.
    image.jpeg
    At Townsend I got on 119 and then 101, which brought me to Ashburnham, where I got on Chapel Street.
    Again it was a beautiful day to ride; I don't want to jynx it, but I have been very lucky the last few weeks.
    I took the 12 west and then Old Gardner Road, which merges with the 140.
    Massachusetts is nice; I was riding through mostly woods and small towns. I rode over Green Street, Central Street, 68, 56, Rutland 12A, Barre Paxson Road, Pleasantdale Road, Rockland Road, 31, Meadow Road, 9...
    image.jpeg
    I was on my way to Rhode Island to meet David and Lauren from adventure rider, so I basically rode straight south through Massachusetts: 49, 20, Hall Road, 131, Wallace Road, Breakneck Road, South Street, Old South Street and then Dennison Drive.
    After getting on the 198 I entered Connecticut. What a difference from out west: within a few hours you can ride through multiple states; out west I could ride around in the same state for days and not even get close to another state.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    After taking 197, Center Road, Bradford Corner Road, 171, 44, E Putnam Road, Cady Road and Kelly Road I was already in Rhode Island.
    After a few minutes of riding taking Killingly Road, 94 and 101 I rolled into David's and Lauren's driveway.
    David was home and came out to greet me. David is a good guy; he took me out for lunch and we went to visit one of his friend, who lives a few miles away.
    When we got back to the house, Lauren was home also. Lauren is very nice and a great cook as I would find out a while later when eating dinner.
    David and Lauren also did a North American Road Trip a while back and it was great to hear their stories and compare notes.
  4. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thursday:
    After getting everything ready to go I was on my way. Thank you, David and Lauren for hosting me. I had a good time in Rhode Island.
    I backtracked a little bit over the 101 going west and rode back into Connecticut. I took the 44, went north on 89, west on 320 and then again: north on 89.
    Today I was going to take my time, so I took a bunch of longer breaks from riding.
    I rode over 190, 159, Bridge Street, then I rode just a few yards north on 75 before I turned on 168. I didn't realize how windy it was today, until I got to more open areas without any trees. Fortunately most of the ride was through foresty areas.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    By taking the 526, 187, 20, 219, 318, 44, Rowley Street, Torrington Road and Winsted Road I got to Main Street in Torrington, which seemed like a nice, small town.
    When going west on the 4 and then turning on Toumey Road, I went into Mohawk State Forest. It was a nice, but short ride to the top of Mohawk Mountain over Mohawk Mountain Road. I hung out there for a few hours.
    image.jpeg
    I backtracked to the 4 and continued west. I relaxed next to a creek for a little bit and then I rode over the 7 and then Bulls Bridge Road, which brought me into New York.
    image.jpeg
    It was already dark now and the road turns into Dog Tail Corners Road. After taking the 55, Pleasant Ridge Road, again 55 and finally 216 I got to where Fran and Donna from adventure rider live.
    They are great people; very interested in the trip and willing to help out with anything.
    I will stay here for three nights. Tomorrow I will ride through the Catskills and explore that area for a bit.
    barnyard, mac w b and chudzikb like this.
  5. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday:
    Today I will do a loop through the Catskill Mountains of just under 200 miles. Fran gave me some advice on good roads, so I put them in my GPS and at around 9 am I headed out. I took a left on the 55 and hopped on the Taconic State Parkway North. The weather was beautiful again and the Parkway is a semi scenic ride through some wooded areas. I went north on the 82 and then took the 9, 23 and crossed the Hudson River into the town called Catskill. There I went south on 385 followed by the 9W and 23A. Getting close to the mountains and gaining altitude I felt it cooling down a little bit, which was a great change after weeks of hot weather. I even had to wear my liner under my jacket!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    At Lexington I turned on 42 and at Shandaken I got on the 28 going west. What a great ride through the mountains! Twisty roads with barely any traffic on them; especially when I continued over Oliverea Road, Frost Valley Road, Claryville Road, Denning Road, Red Hill Road and Sugar Loaf Road... There was just no one there! I was touring past nice wooded hills, small creeks and (abandoned) houses here snd there. I can highly rcommend thjs ride.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I rode over BWS Road, 55A, 55, Continental Road, Old Road 209, 209, 44, 299 and finally got on the 9W going south. On the 44 I had to pay a fee in order to cross the Hudson River to the east. After fighting traffic in Poughkeepsie and getting on the 55 I got back on the 216 and returned to where Fran and Donna live.
    In the evening they took me out for dinner and afterwards we watched the American classic Deliverance. Now I know what people mean when they asked me if I heard banjo's in certain areas haha.
    During the last hour or so of my ride, my shoulder started bugging me a lot, so I am not sure if I will go for another ride tomorrow.
  6. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    barnyard, mac w b, qman8 and 2 others like this.
  7. macman56

macman56 Went to the Far Side....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for visiting...you are welcome here anytime!
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    it was nice to be able to host you for the night Ben, good luck on the rest of your trip and your future endeavors.
  9. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    You got a pretty mouth!!

Lol
  10. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! Thank you for your replies. I know I am more than a week behind on the report; I will try to catch up as soon as I can. There is just too much fun stuff to do, so I keep postponing it. So the first update will be from the weekend of more than a week ago.

Saturday:
    Today I just hung around the house, arranging stuff like ordering oil online to my friend's house in Maryland (where I will be in about a week) and cleaning some of my gear. It was raining and my shoulder was still bothering me, so I was glad that I didn't have to go anywhere.
    I hadn't watched the news in a while, so I decided to do that and we are still on the verge of an apocalyps, it looks like.
    In the evening Fran and Donna made an amazing dinner. Tomorrow Fran will join me for part of the ride.

Sunday:
    Before heading out I had a nice breakfast and Fran and I waited for the sky to clear up a bit. When we wanted to head out we noticed the clutch fluid on the Suzuki being down again, so Fran helped me bleeding it out and getting it ready to go.
    Fran was riding his nice, blue KTM 990 and I followed him over the 216 and Depot Hill Road, which turns into Grape Hollow Road.
    Fran was taking me over some very nice back roads; some paved, but also some gravel and dirt.
    We rode over Stormville Mountain Road, Overhill Road, 52, Leetown Road, Cherry Lane, Hosner Mountain Road and Rushmore Road. The weather was beautiful today and the ride was great. I was heading to my friend Sharon, who lives in Pomona, but she would only be home at 3 pm. In other words: I had plenty of time to take back roads and explore the area for a bit.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    We rode over Memory Lane, Miller Hill Road, Farmers Mills Road, 301, Dennytown Road, Indian Brook Road, Old Albany Post Road, Sprout Brook Road, Roa Hook Road, 9 and finally 202. We stopped at the side of the road where there was a nice view and from there we went our seperate ways.
    image.jpeg
    Thank you, Fran and Donna for being such great hosts. I really hope we keep in touch and Fran, good luck on your motorcycle trip!
    I was about half a mile to the bridge that took me over the Hudson River. There was some kind of festival going on, so there was quite a lot of traffic in this area. I took Seven Lakes Drive and Perkins Memorial Drive up. There was a nice view from up there, but also too many people...
    image.jpeg
    I rode back to Seven Lakes Drive and then took the 6 for a while after which I hopped back on Seven Lakes Drive. This area was really nice: forest, lakes, quiet roads. I took my time riding over CR-106, CR-98, Call Hollow Road, Camp Hill Road, Ladentown Road, 202, Thiells Mount Ivy Road, Charles Lane and finally Country Club Lane. Before arriving in Pomona I hung out at some nice spots in the forest and at around 4 pm I arrived.
    I met Sharon's mom, Yifat and about an hour later Sharon and Guy arrived. We had a great dinner and after that we made our plans for the next few days. We wanted to explore New York City for a few days. Yifat commutes to Manhattan every morning, so that would make things very easy for us.
  11. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monday and Tuesday:
    The general plan for these days is: leave Pomona at 5:45 am on Monday: see as many touristy things as we can. Tal, who I visited in Los Angeles a few months ago goes to school in New York City. We would meet him later in the afternoon on Monday and he said we could stay the night at his place. This way we won't have to do the entire commute again on Tuesday morning.
    The commute on Monday to Manhattan was absolutely brutal. I don't even want to think about doing that every day; there was just so much traffic...
    We started walking through Manhattan and all the time I was just looking at all these huge buildings. It's really spectacular seeing it for the first time. We picked a route past as many touristy places as possible. We went to Times Square, the Empire State Building and after going to China Town we walked to a metro station from where Guy left for the airport.
    20171002_083414.jpg 20171002_082627.jpg 20171002_105105.jpg 20171002_133747.jpg
    He was flying to Colorado to do some hiking.
    We walked through Little Italy and then took the subway to the north end of Central Park, where we met up with Tal. After walking through part of it, Tal had to go to class, but Sharon and I walked all the way through it. It's a really great walk; the contrast between the green and the huge buildings is very cool.
    We met up with Tal again for dinner and then called it a day, because we had to wake up early.
    Donna, who works for ESPN, had arranged 2 VIP tickets for me and Sharon for Live with Kelly and Ryan. It is a morning talk show. I can think of very few things that are more American than that. It was a great present! When sitting in the crowd they actually tell you when to cheer and applaud, which was exactly how I imagined it. The guest on the show was Sarah Silverman.
    We met up with Tal for lunch and then took the subway to the Staten Island ferry, which is free and we only took it so we could see the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge. Back in Manhattan we walked past the Wallstreet Bull and later we met Yifat when she was driving back to Pomona, so we had the luxuty of just hopping in the car and being driven back to Pomona.
    The last two days we had walked a lot and my legs were killing me. It had been a while since I had walked this much. In the evening we watched a movie and then went so sleep pretty early.
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171002_144611.jpg 20171003_104529.jpg 20171003_130801.jpg 20171003_131137.jpg
  13. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Hi Ben, glad you're having a great time! Donna and I really enjoyed having you as a guest, and you're welcome back any time!

Our trip got cut short due to Hurricane Nate, but we had a great time none the less. You should try to spend some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway if possible along your way. The riding is amazing, and the scenery is some of the best on the east coast!

Safe travels.
  14. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the trip. I am definately going to do the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Wednesday:
    I slept in until around 9 am and we had an amazing breakfast before I headed out to New Jersey. Thank you, Yifat and Sharon for hosting me. I had a great time in New York.
    I took Country Club Lane and Thiells Mount Ivy Road back to the 202. I turned west and then north on the 59.
    It was a really nice day and as soon as I took the 17, 17A and 94 I rode into New Jersey.
    image.jpeg
    It was really weird; as soon as I entered New Jersey there was a lot less traffic than in New York. I took Sunset Inn Road, CR-623, Goodale Road, 206, Brighton Road, Pequest Road, Airport Road and Decker Pond Road. It was a nice ride over country roads; I was pleasantly surprised by the New Jersey countryside.
    image.jpeg
    I rode over CR-517, Bald Eagle Road, Rutherford Road and then back on CR-517. I took High Street through Hackettstown, 46, 182, 57, E Asburt Anderson Road, 31, 202 and finally 28. Here the traffic had increased again unfortunately...
    I arrived to where Doug from adventure rider lives and a few minutes later Doug arrived from work. Later Doug's wife also arrived and the three of us went out for a walk and in the evening they made an amazing steak dinner.
    They are very nice people who both ride their own BMW motorcycles. Doug knows a lot of local roads, so he recommended me some roads for the next day.
  15. OATSF14

OATSF14 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just getting caught up with you Ben. Been awhile since you came through here. Would have been nice to meet Dirk. Maybe in 2019 the wife and I will come to see you guys. Sorry to hear about the KTM. Just picked up another bike myself. V-Strom Wee. It will be my Alaska trip bike in June. Take care. Hope you are enjoying 'Merica.
  16. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jerry, good to hear from you! You are going to love Alaska!

Thursday:
    After a nice breakfast I headed out towards the ferry from Cape May, New Jersey to Lewes, Delaware.
    Thank you, Doug for hosting me. Please send your wife my regards.
    I continued on the 28 and then took Finderne Avenue, N Main Street, Millstone River Road, Blackwells Mills Road and Canal Road.
    I was heading to my friend from the army who lives close to Bel Air in Maryland. There was quite some traffic at the beginning of the ride. I rode over Suydam Road, Claremont Road, Lincoln Highway, Henderson Road and the 1. Here there was a traffic light that stayed red for a very long time, so I decided to turn off the engine. When the light turned green and I wanted to turn the engine back on it didn't start. What the hell?! I pushed the bike to the side, so all the traffic could pass me and jump started it from there. In order to get to the battery I had to take off some of the bags and the seat. After putting everything back together I was on my way.
    I rode over Deans Lane, Georges Road, Deans Rhode Hall Road, 130, Hightstown Road, Main Street, Old York Road and CR-524. Here it started to become less and less busy and when I took Sharon Station Road, Trenton-Forked River Road, Pinehurst Road, CR-539 and 72 it actually became a very nice ride.
    image.jpeg
    Riding over CR-532 brings you to Chatsworth where I got on Main Steeet and then on CR-563, which turns into Carranza Road. From there I took Pleasant Mills Road, Egg Harbor-Green Bank Road, Philadelphia Avenue, 50, 49, Woodbine Road, Washington Avenue, Tyler Road, 47, N Delsea Drive, 47, S Railroad Avenue, Seashore Road and finally Sandman Boulevard.
    Here I got to the ferry that would take me from Cape May to Lewes. The last few miles the clutch was acting weird again, so I bled it out while waiting in line for the ferry and then it seemed to work fine again.
    There was one other biker on the ferry ride to Delaware that took about an hour and a half.
    image.jpeg
    We were the first ones on and the first ones off the ferry. After arriving in Delaware I rode over Cape Henlopen Drive, Kings Highway, Theodore C Freeman Memorial Highway and then back on Kings Highway. The first hour or so after the ferry was pretty busy again, but the more inland I rode the calmer and quieter it got. After Coastal Highway, Lewes Georgetown Highway, E Marker Street, Bedford Street, Bridgeville Road, Seashore Highway, Cannon Road and Federalsburg Road I crossed the Maryland State Line.
    image.jpeg
    Riding over 318, 313, 16, 313 again, Greensboro Road, Oldtown Road, 313 once more,544 and the 301.
    The farmland was really nice and ride very enjoyable. I wanted to arrive at my friend's house before dark, so I didn't have a lot of time to smell the flowers.
    image.jpeg
    I rode over 313, 290, 213, 40, 272, 274, 273 and finally 1, where Jacob lives. It was really good to see him again. I had met his parents a few years ago, but this was the first time I saw his younger brother.
    Jacob took me to the fire station where he volunteers and I met some of his friends. I knew my friends Jacob was a redneck (or at least wants to be), but I was still surprised when I saw him doing chewing tobacco and his heavy diesel truck dumping black smoke haha. Oh and he also walks around with a spit bottle everywhere. I will be staying here for a while; Jacob wants to take me to all kinds of places and do fun stuff, so maybe I will turns into a redneck a little bit.
    barnyard, BK.RD.RNR and chudzikb like this.
  17. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday - Thursday:
    I didn't ride my bike at all during this week. Instead we took Jacob's oversized, loud, smoke dumping pick-up truck everywhere.
    20171006_175335.jpg
    I met some of Jacob's friends. We did all kinds of fun stuff: we went to red neck bars, the local apple festival, rode dirt bikes. A few times we went to the fire station where he volunteers as a fire fighter.
    20171005_185804.jpg
    Jacob's brother, Joshua, took me for a drive in the area and showed me some nice spots.
    20171006_111402.jpg
    On Sunday we went to visit his cousins in West Virginia and drove around the Antietam Battlefield.
    20171008_122207.jpg
    I felt like I was the only one who didn't chew tobacco or dipped...
    Jacob's dad, Nate, came home from work a few days after I arrived; it was good to see him again as well. Nate has been all over the country, so he gave me some tips and recommendations about some local and not-local riding.
    On Monday I went for a day-trip into Washington D.C., which was really nice. Nate dropped me off at the Aberdeen train station and I arrived at Union Station in D.C. at around 8:15 am. Taking the train turned out to be a great decision. It was raining most of the morning and I would have hated leaving my bike unattended all the time.
    I am not much of a museum guy, but I was quite impressed by the Museum of Natural History. I visited as many famous buildings and monuments as I could for the day and around 6 pm I headed back towards the train station.
    Pictures from Washington D.C. will follow.

This Sunday I will ride towards the Appalaches and from there I will start riding south into the Smokeys for a few days. I won't update the ride report until I start riding again this weekend.
  18. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171009_082554.jpg 20171009_083717.jpg 20171009_095722.jpg 20171009_112204.jpg
    ArrinD likes this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171009_113730.jpg 20171009_115932.jpg 20171009_120224.jpg 20171009_124126.jpg
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171009_124424.jpg 20171009_130638.jpg 20171009_123508.jpg