North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Just recently started looking at your RR. You are close to home.

Where are you headed/wanting to head from here? That is, if the newest posts are current.

We know people, people with banjos....... @knybanjo
  2. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday:
    Chris and I went for breakfast at the Waffle House for some more America experience and in order to make sure that I wouldn't leave the States without doing so, we drove through the ghetto on our way back to the house.
    Chris would ride out with me for a while today. After getting gas I was leading the way and sure enough the first turn I took was a wrong one. We got to a dead end in a rough looking neighbourhood. I felt pretty stupid and I wonder if Chris could see my sheepish smile under my helmet when I made the U-turn.
    We got on Laurens Road and then on 146, which merges with the 101. In Woodruff we got on Cross Anchor Road and then we took 49 to the east, 176 and 215. At first it looked like it would be a boring ride; straight roads and no cool scenary. But we more we rode, the more intrigued I was by the surroundings. This area was super redneck. However you imagine a rural, redneck area, that is exactly what it looked like. Pretty much Redneckistan...
    image.jpeg
    At Carlisle we took a break and then we split up. Chris turned back to Greenvlle and I continued east on 121. Thank you, Chris for hosting me. I hope everything works out with your travel plans!
    The scenary didn't change much after riding over 321-BYP, 9, Old Richburg Road and back on the 9, but it wasn't bad.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    I rode over 521-BYP, 903 and Taxahaw Road. After a short stretch of gravel I got to where Richard from adventure rider lives with his wife, Dianne. Shortly after I arrived, Richard and Dianne returned from town. They are lovely people who let me stay in their nice camper trailer.
    After getting settled we talked about all sorts of things and in the evening Dianne had made us a great dinner. I don't remember how the conversation ended up here, but we found out that all three of us love the show South Park. We couldn't resist, so we decided to watch some episodes. It is funny how spending time in the States makes you understand more of the jokes in that show. Now I can appreciate it even more!
    Before I headed to bed, Richard wanted to show me Ultra Man. It is so bad that it is actually hilarious. I am convinced that they make the fighting scenes look that fake on purpose; I didn't know wether to laugh or cry... Ultra Man can not be unseen...
    1stgenfarmboy and richamor like this.
  3. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I used to watch Ultra Man when I was a little kid back in the early 70's. I loved that show!

You should check out Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot next!
  4. richamor

richamor like that when I got here

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Ben. Considering the weather I sent you off in I was getting a little concerned. I would have liked to ride out with you for a bit but not in the rain:-) Maybe next time.

and as bad as UltraMan is......I don't think it's the worst.
  5. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will finish this trip in southern Mississippi. From there I will arrange my return to The Netherlands.

Let's put it this way: it wouldn't be my first pick to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Or second... Or third...

Monday:
    When I woke up Dianne had already left for work and I was talking to Richard when getting the bike ready. I loaded up my bike and then looked up when I heard shots... Richard was firing his rifle from his porch: 'Murrica! I was secretly hoping someone would do this at some point during my trip. Another thing off my bucketlist!
    Thank you, Richard and Dianne for letting me stay in your trailer. I hope you will enjoy your future travels!
    I Continued on Taxahaw Road. It was raining a little bit when I left Richard's and Dianne's place, but after getting on 903, 151 and 1 it actually started to rain pretty hard. Fortunately it stopped before I got on the 145 through the Wildlife Refuge.
    image.jpeg
    In Chesterfield I got on the 9, which I followed all the way to the 57.
    There were so many abandoned buildings in this area. I couldn't believe someone would just leave his house or business or whatever and just let it fall apart. I understand it happens here and there, but I think about a third of this area looked like this.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    There were also lots of cotton fields here.
    I turned on Mt. Zion Road and finally Woodlyn Avenue where Joe and Lynn live. Both of them have known Nate and Renee (Jacob's parents) for many years and had invited me to stay over if I would ever come through the area. Lynn wanted to show me around this area, so we took the truck and headed to the beach. Joe was still at work, so we went by there to say hi on our way to the beach. The beach and ocean here look really rough, but the temperarure was actually very nice.
    We returned to the house and the three of us had a wonderful dinner that Lynn had made for us. Later there were tornado warnings issued for our area. According to the radar there should've been one right down the street, but it was too dark to see anything, so I am still in denial. Didn't see it; it wasn't there...
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  6. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After following this thread for quite some time, it needs to be said that you should just stay here! We need more people like you in our country. So, get to work on that sir!
    1stgenfarmboy and richamor like this.
  8. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I were to live here, I would definately be a redneck! The question is: do you really need another person driving huge pick-up's and own a bunch of guns?
    But seriously, as much as I think this is a great country, it is just too big for me. It would take me hours to do my groceries, because I would have to pick a cereal and there is literally an entire alley for just that...
    What I am trying to say is: I like to live somewhere where everything is relatively close and where I don't have to watch out for: tornado's, hurricanes, blizzards, wild fires, floods, earthquakes, avalanches... you get it.

Tuesday:
    I headed out pretty early early in the morning. It was a beautiful day and I was looking forward to the ride. Thank you, Lynn and Joe for hosting me.
    I rode back on Mt. Zion Road and then turned left on 57, 90, 501-BR and the 701 through Conway.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Again I rode through an area with a lot of cotton fields and deteriorating buildings. It was clear that I was riding south; more and more Spanish moss appeared on the trees. I took 261, 513, 41, Reflectance Road and Clements Ferry Road into the Charleston metropolitan area.
    I was going to meet Gavin from adventure rider, who lives just north of Charlesron, so I rode over 526, N Rhett Avenue, Tanner Ford Boulevard, Foster Creek Road and finally Purser lane. Here I met Gavin and his wife Catherine and their child Cedar. They are a very nice young family who have recently moved to this area.
    Remember when I said that everyone seems to have KTM's ever since mine broke down? Well, Gavin has two KTM 990's...
    Gavin took me to Folly Beach and downtown Charleston. It is a beautiful old city with very cool, huge houses and an interesting history.
    20171024_152743.jpg 20171024_153334.jpg
    Later we met up with Catherine and Cedar and I was treated on a nice dinner. Later when we got back to the house we talked for a bit when something unfortunate happened. I was leaning back on a bench and I fell backwards; the bench flipped and fell on Cedar's foot. Ouch! The bench was pretty heavy and I felt really bad about it (actually, I still do). It didn't seem like there was any serious damage, but Gavin and Catherine wisely decided to go to the hospital to get pictures taken just in case.
    Fortunately nothing was broken, but I still felt pretty bad. The next day I would leave South Carolina head out to Savannah in Georgia.
  9. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday:
    After breakfast I headed out to Savannah, Georgia. Thank you, Gavin and Catherine for hosting me and giving me a tour through Charleston. Please keep me updated on what is happening with Cedar's foot!
    Back on Foster Creek Road I turned south on Rhett Avenue and then left on Park Circle, Montague Avenue, Spruill Avenue, Cosgrove Avenue, 7 and Savannah Highway. The ride wasn't very interesting; mostly straight roads through marshy areas. What I did like were the big oak trees covered with Spanish moss.
    image.jpeg
    I took the 162, Slans Island Road, 174 and Botany Bay Road. Gavin and Catherine had told me the plantation is worth checking out. I took the nice dirt road to the plantation. Unfortuantely it was closed for deer hunting season...
    I back tracked to 164, got on 174 and then west on Savannah Highway. After Jacksonboro I got on Ace Basin, Charleston Highway and turned south on 21.
    image.jpeg
    First I saw this and I thought to myself: "Should I do it?"
    image.jpeg
    Then I saw this... Oh, come on!
    image.jpeg
    Finally I got on the 170, Okatie Highway and the 17, which brought me into Georgia. I rode over Oglethorpe Avenue, ML King Jr Boulevard, Exchange Street, 52nd Street, 204, Largo Drive and Chesterfield Drive where Austin from adventure rider lives. Austin was still at work when I arrived, so his son, Caleb opened the door for me. After getting settled Austin arrived from work. He is a very cool guy who also hosts bicycle travellers from all over the world. For dinner we had amazing home-made pizza and then we watched Full Metal Jacket. We had interesting conversations before calling it a day.
    KingFishman likes this.
  10. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg
    Finally got some photo's from the Tail of the Dragon. Thought they would be nice souvenirs:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  11. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pictures from Savannah:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  12. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thursday:
    Austin made pancakes for breakfast and somewhere between 8 am and 9 am I was on the road.
    Thank you Austin for hosting me. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    I back tracked to 204, which I took until 17. I got some gas on my way out of town and in Richmond Hill I took the 144 through Fort Stewart military base. It is a pretty boring ride; what you will see here is trees... After Glenville I got on 121 and then I took the 203, 32 to the west and 135, which is Willacoochee Highway.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Austin told me about a southern combination of RC Cola and peanuts, so I stopped at a small gas station and had that for lunch. It was apparent that I had gotten to the deep, deep south again. You can tell by what the towns look like, their demography and the general feel you get when riding through those small towns.
    I continued west on 76 through the small town of Nashville and Adel and then I rode over 122, 19, 319-BR and finally I arrived at my destination on Belmont Drive. Here lives Joshua from adventure rider with his family. I met his kids, Ryder and Marley and later also his wife, Amanda. They are very nice people and Joshua, just like everyone else for some reason after my KTM broke down, owns a KTM. He has the 950 Super Enduro; it looks like a fun bike!
    In the afternoon I changed the oil on the Vstrom and some other minor maintenance before getting settled. We exchanged travel stories over dinner; Joshua did a ride to Alaska and back a few weeks before I headed up there. You can check out his ride report here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/3-twins-head-to-deadhorse.1228229/
    LTRyder likes this.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...you would fit right in here! Most of us are armed to the teeth!
    richamor likes this.
  14. branchkin

branchkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "where I don't have to watch out for: tornado's, hurricanes, blizzards, wild fires, floods, earthquakes, avalanches... you get it."

Ben, variety is the spice of life. Really enjoying your RR.
  15. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a rhetorical question. :D
  16. kawafunky

kawafunky on another trip around the sun

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you, I'm glad to be a small part of your epic ride!
    [​IMG]
    And it is uncanny that you have found so many KTM owners since your 990 gave up!
    [​IMG]
  17. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Yesterday afternoon I arrived at Walt's in southern Mississippi. This means that I finished my loop through North America. Over the next few days I will be arranging my return to The Netherlands and updating thr report.

Friday:
    Today I slept in and mostly hung out. I spent time catching up on the report and went for a walk through downtown Thomasville. The weather was absolutely beautiful, so the walk was very enjoyable. I went to check out the Big Oak; they aren't lying when they say it is big: it's enormous.
    The plan for the next few days is as follows: ride through the panhandle of Florida. Then ride to Birmingham, Alabama to visit a friend. From there I will ride west into Mississippi and on the first of November I will ride south to Walt in southern Mississippi.
    Today I finally started to realize how close I am to the end of this trip. It is quite weird...
    In the afternoon we played disc golf in the park. It is basically the golf, but instead of clubs and golfballs you use a disc (kind of like a frisbee). Let's say it a lot trickier than it looks...
    For dinner Joshua made Cheeseburgers with bacon, one of the great American inventions. We watched a Disney movie that, for some reason, I had never heard of even. And then we watched a college football game. All in all it was a great day and I was able to rest in order to start the last few days of the trip.

Some pictures from Thomasville:
    20171027_115350.jpg 20171027_120443.jpg 20171027_120535.jpg 20171027_120759.jpg
    KryzHatch likes this.
  18. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171027_121516.jpg
    The Big Oak:
    20171027_121002.jpg 20171027_121056.jpg 20171027_121200.jpg
    chudzikb, 1stgenfarmboy and KryzHatch like this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday:
    After breakfast Joshua rode out with me for the first part of the ride on his 950 Enduro.
    The weather was great when we rode over Belmont Drive, 319-BR, 319 and the 122 into Florida. It was a beautiful ride; southern Georiga was very rural, as I expected. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought Florida would be completely different the minute you cross the state line... Obviously, in hindsight, this doesn't make any sense.
    We rode over Veterans Memorial Drive, 90 and 59 and it was still very southern and rural; some big properties that looked like old plantations, but also smaller houses with a bunch of rusty cars sitting on the front lawn. When we took the 98 and the 98/319 along the coast the scenary changed into mostly beach houses and we took a little break. Joshua decided to head back home from there.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Thank you, Joshua and Amanda for hosting me. I had a great time. Please say hi to your kids for me.
    I went to get some gas and Joshua took off with a good ol' wheelie. All the people at the gas station shook their heads; I think I was the only one laughing.
    I continued over the 98 where it is a two-lane road along the coast for a while and there were some bigger bridges.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    The ride was pretty boring, four-lane and with a lot of traffic. There was some kind of Harley-Davidson festival going on. There was a ridiculous amount of Harley's on the road and all of the bikers looked at me like I was some kind of alien. "He is riding some kind of vehicle on two wheels, but it isn't a Harley, so it can't be a real motorcycle...." I heard them think. Or at least, that is what I believe they were thinking. In their defense: I was riding the only motorcycle that wasn't a Harley-Davidson.
    I thought it would be a good idea to take a little detour along the coast. I turned on Watersound Parkway and then CR-30A. What a mistake to take this detour! It was congested and the speedlimit was 25 miles per hour... And I didn't even once see the ocean! So far the second half of the ride wasn't very nice. It was either really hot or it was cold and rainy...
    After taking CR-283, 98 west I turned left on Fairpoint Drive and then I rode over Silverthorn Road and Firethorn Road where I met Jason from adventure rider and his kids Jasper and Mia. They are very nice people, but... Jason also has a KTM! What is going on here haha?!
    In the evening Jason took me to downtown Pensacola for dinner. I had a good time. Jason explained me that Florida is basically the USA upside down: the northern part of Florida is very rural and redneck, like the deep south, while the southern part of the state is very much like New England: rich, old people who come there to escape the cold winters in the northern part of the country.
    Back at the house we watched the first episode of the mini series called "Harley and the Davidsons". I like that show a lot and will definately look up the other episodes.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday:
    It was pretty cold when I headed out from Gulf Breeze in the morning. Thank you, Jason for hosting me. I had a great time.
    I took Poinciana Drive, Fairpoint Drive and then the 98, N 17th Avenue and the 90.
    The ride was nice and quiet over Chumuckla Highway, Tunnel Road and then on Chumuckla Highway again. There was barely any traffic, which actually kind of surprised me for this time of day. It was nice to be able to comfortably cruise along over these small roads.
    I took CR-197, Commerce Street, 4, N Alabama Street and the 89 into Alabama. That was it: I made through 49 states.
    At Riverview I turned on the 41, 84, CR-5, Pipkins Cutoff and CR-9. These are beautiful country roads, through very, very rural areas.
    When I took 47, 21, 89 and 41 I was hopeful that at some point it would actually warm up, but it just didn't. It stayed cold all day. I was actually thinking about how perfect this ride would have been if it was warmer. It would've probably been in the top 15 of my rides so far. Note to self: when buying a motorcycle, get heated grips!
    I rode over 80-BR, 22, 191 and in Jemison I got on Watson Street, Padgett Land and then CR-42, 145, Shelby Road, Chelsea Road, CR-47 and 280. I got in thr Birmingham metropolitan area and rode over Summit Boulevard, Overton Road, Oakdale Drive, Westbury Way and then finally Spring Valley Road.
    I came to visit my friend Yona and his parents, Michael and Susan. I hadn't seen Yona in a few years and it was great to him again. After catching up a little bit, we went out for dinner with Yona's brother, Asaf and his fiancee Christine. I hadn't seen Asaf in a couple of years either and it was really nice to hear that all of them are doing well.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg