North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monday:
    Michael and Yona took me out for breakfast in the morning and then Yona went to work. Michael showed me around a part of town and we went to see the Vulcan Statue, which is one of the main attractions in Birmingham. It was still pretty cold out, but it looked like it would be a nice day of riding.
    Late in the morning it was time for me to head out. Thank you, Michael, Susan and Yona for your hospitality. I hope to see you again soon.
    I rode over Belle Meade Way, Belle Meade Lane, Rockhill Road, Crosshill Road, Old Leeds Road and Cherokee Road.
    It was a beautiful day and the temperature was perfect when I made my way through the Birmingham metropolitan area. Unfortunately my GoPro camera crashed again after a few minutes of riding, so I don't have a lot of pictures.
    I took 280, 18th Street, Richard Arlington Jr Boulevard, 20th Street, 11 and Ensley Avenue. When taking the 269 I finally got out of the concrete and into the farm land of eastern Alabama.
    image.jpeg
    I took New Oakman Highway, 18, 43 and 96, which turns into the 50 when you enter Mississippi. There I got on Gunshoot Road, Steens Road, Jemison MILL Road, 12, Military Road and Jess Lyons Road before taking the 45, 373, 50, 15, CR-343, CR-323 and 403. In Maben I was getting some gas when a guy in a pick-up showed up. It was Jared from adventure rider and he told me to follow him to his house.
    We took E Old Highway 82, Lollars Grove Road and Holland Road through a very rural area, where Jared lives with his wife Brittney and his kids Logan and Evie on a beautiful piece of land. They are a nice and young family and later in the afternoon, after getting settled, Jared took me shooting. It was a good day.
    chudzikb and mac w b like this.
  2. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Well Ben, please let us all know if you made it back home in one piece!
  3. macman56

macman56 Went to the Far Side....

Oddometer:
    Agreed! Let us know how things ended. It was a pleasure to contribute to your trip, if only in a small way. Godspeed!
  4. DantheDuck

DantheDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I talked to Ben yesterday and he is home safe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
  5. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Thank you for your replies. I am home. After getting settled I will finish up the report; probably in the next week or so.
    qman8 likes this.
  6. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday:
    Today I met Jared's parents, David and Joy. They are very friendly people, who were happy to show me around the property. Later in the afternoon Jared, David and I went for a day ride. David rode his Triumph and Jared his Vstrom 650. The weather was beautiful, so it was a good day for a ride.
    We took Holland Road, Lollars Grove Road, Ticky Bend Road, Mount Moriah Road, E Old Highway 82, 82, 182, 82, Grady Road and Greensboro Road. It was a beautiful ride through rural Mississippi. Too bad that I forgot to bring my camera.
    We continued over Webster Lodi Road, Lodi Road, 82, 51, 404, 9, 50, Crowell Road, Old Walthall Road, Snow Bottom Road, CR-114 and 82. From there we took the same way back to the house as we came from. The rest of the day was spent getting my stuff ready to leave the next morning and in the evening Jared and Brittney took me out for dinner at a Mexican place. Before calling it a day we played a few games of cards.
  7. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday:
    It was raining in the morning and it looked like, according to the radar, I would have rain the entire ride south. After a nice breakfast I headed out on my last ride in the United States. Thank you, Jared and Brittney for hosting me. I had a great time and I hope that we will keep in touch.
    I rode over Holland Road, Lollars Grove Road to the east and E Old Highway 82. I almost hit some deer when coming around a curve; I told myself to ride carefully, since this is the last day and it is a common mistake to become a bit reckless towards the end.
    I continued over 403, CR-323, CR-343, 763, Sturgis-Maben Road, 12, Louisville Road, Sturgis Road, Poplar Flat Road, 25, 15, 485 and 21. It kept raining and raining, but to be honest: I didn't care at all. I just wanted to arrive already. The areas I rode through were very rural and the more south I rode the warmer it got. You don't really notice it when riding through the rain, but once you stop you can really feel the southern heat.
    I took 35, 540, 149, 13 for a few yards and then 43, 28, 43. In New Hebron I got on Main Avenue and then I continued over 43, 84, 184, 587 and 586.
    I tried taking some more remote back roads, but the road was closed after taking Kokomo Road. I rode over Darbun Church Grove Road and Darbun China Grove Road and then backtracked to 586, rode over 585, 98 to 48 and finally I turned somewhere along the Bogue Chitto River, where Walt has his river house. Walt had heard the motorcycle and greeted me at the drive way. I made it! It was a weird mixed feeling of accomplishment and not really knowing what to do after 8 months of riding.
    It was great to see Walt and Denise again. They would host me until my flight to The Netherlands. Denise said that I was too skinny, so I immediately knew that I was going to eat tons of great southern food over the next week!
    My apologies for the pictures with the rain drops on them. All my pictures today turned out like that.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  8. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    It was great to have Ben back at the river, and it was great to have a motorcycle again!!
    Ben got to hang out with us for a week before his flight and we really enjoyed his visit.
    Denise thought he was too skinny, so she force fed him all sorts of greasy, fattening, delicious meals, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, and gallons of cold milk!! He did not protest too much, every time we asked him if he was hungry, his normal answer was, "I could eat".

Every evening we watched some classic movie that he had not seen; Mad Max, Road Warrior, Dirty Harry, Smokey and the Bandit, etc., but I think his favorite was the original Red Dawn, hell he walked around the next day hollering "Wolverines!!" Lol

I took him deer hunting, but it was hot, and they weren't moving much, and neither of us got to shoot one.

Like I said, it was unseasonably warm, so we took a half day paddle down the river before he had to leave the next day.

Yep, fattened up pretty good!!

IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG

We got him down to the airport in New Orleans for his flight the next day, but not before stopping off for a big, overflowing shrimp po boy at the world famous Middendorfs restaurant on the lake.

Ben my brother, I'm glad we could play a part in your lifetime experience, Denise loved feeding you, and the dogs enjoyed the opportunity to train another human. We don't have to tell you that you are welcome whenever you undertake part 2, and we look forward to seeing you again!!

Attached Files:

mac w b, chudzikb, mutt550 and 4 others like this.
  9. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My flight home was on the 10th of November. Until that time I was mostly resting and getting ready to leave the country. We watched movies and did all kinds of other fun stuff. One afternoon we floated down the river, one evening we sat around a fire; you name it. I was being fed very well by both Walt and Denise. I had a great time in Mississippi.
    I want to thank everybody who has helped me making this trip possible and opened up their houses for me or helped me in any other way. I want thank Walt especially for enabling me to finish my trip by lending me his motorcycle and hosting me at the end of the trip. It is greatly appreciated.
    I think I feel a little bit like Forrest Gump must have felt when he decided to stop running: "I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."
    This truly has been an epic ride for me and with that being said I am finishing this ride report.
  10. Maximus64

Maximus64 Betamus Chingamus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ben, we all enjoyed having you. When you come back this way, the light will be on for you.
    Safe travels on this journey of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mutt550 likes this.
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Ben our country is a bit sad and less sunny with you gone, it was a our blessing having you in it, looking forward to seeing you again some day.

It does us all good to meet people as nice as you from other countries......it makes the world not seem so big.

Darwin & Barb
    SirWrecksAlot and chudzikb like this.
  12. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    It was great to meet you Ben! Enjoy your rest, and good luck with your next journey in life!
  13. mutt550

mutt550 restless soul

Oddometer:
    It was an honor to be part of your grand adventure. Stay safe my friend till we meet again.
  14. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your replies. For anyone interested, a few stats:

I bought the KTM with 51843 miles on it and it broke down at 82245 miles. So I rode it 30402 miles.

I started on Walt's Vstrom (on the current odometer) at 30155 miles. I returned to Walt at 39774 miles, so I rode it 9619 miles.

Total: 40.021 miles

I am not sure about the UHaul, but I think I drove it for about 1800 miles.
  15. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    Was great to meet ya Ben! Didn't realize the KTM quit on ya...
  16. therealjared

therealjared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had the privilege of hosting Ben a couple of nights before his final leg of the trip. Sounds like you did get a small taste of Mississippi humidity lol. Glad to hear you made it back across the pond safely!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SirWrecksAlot likes this.
  17. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Ben, now that you have us all involved in your life, I hope you let us know how you are getting along, and what you have decided to do.
  18. branchkin

branchkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ben, did you find that any preconceptions differed greatly from what you saw and experienced in the States?
    BK.RD.RNR and therealjared like this.
  19. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your story, good and bad. We (speaking for most in the USA) always want to ride other lands and meet other peoples. Sometimes it's nice to see our own beautiful country from the eyes of a "stranger." I think it can help us reconnect with our own land and people.
    1stgenfarmboy and mutt550 like this.
  20. macman56

macman56 Went to the Far Side....

Oddometer:
    Bon Voyage! It was a pleasure hosting you for a night in Portland.