North American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sanguis, Mar 1, 2017.

1. DantheDuck

DantheDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ben, when you make it back to the west coast near Yosemite you can crash at my place and we'll take a back roads trip that way, Just shoot me a message! Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  2. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your offer! I will be in touch with you when I'm in the area.
    20170306_171546.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  3. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In for the long haul, should be a hell of a ride. Enjoy.

Bob Vermeulen
  4. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Following along. It seems you sure do have a lot of stuff. Now that summer is coming you might be able to pare your gear down somewhat.
  5. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to you on your big adventure! I admire your courage and positive outlook! Pay attention to fatigue, take breaks as needed in order survive long off-road sections. Cheers!
  6. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    You make a good point. Sometimes on long multi-day rids I'll pull into a roadside picnic area or community park, etc. and nap for a hour or so. Just closing the eyes for a while helps a lot.
  7. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. I was actually just thinking about getting rid of some winter equipment, but I don't feel like shipping it or just leaving it somewhere. I will have to figure out what to do with it.
    My friend who lives in LA is a pilot, so last night he took me for a tour over the city. I felt like such a tourist, but it was really cool. We flew over the Hollywood sign (once more something to cross off my bucket list) and over the beach and sea next to the Santa Monica Pier. This city is absolutely huge. Never have I seen something like it. As far as I could see there were lights.
    Unfortunately the pictures I took came out very blurry, but you all get the idea.
    This morning I left LA and was stuck in traffic again. Good thing that lane splitting is allowed here.
    I got to see some cool beaches along the way to La Jolla, where my cousin lives. During some of my breaks, people come up to me and ask me where I am from and where I am going. They tell me about cool rides with great views that I should take. It's nice that also here people are interested and helpful.
    Lots of this ride was on the interstate though, which was less enjoyable, but I promised to be there at 1pm.
    Tomorrow however I will be some more on country roads, because I will probably pitch a tent somewhere in western Arizona, so I don't have anywhere to be at a specific time.
    I arrived at the University of San Diego and my cousin showed me around the campus and we walked to the beach, which was like 5 minutes away. Once again the view was stunning. I can'r believe that anywhere I go, it is beautiful.
    Tonight I will crash here on a couch and wake up early so I can get some good riding going!
    Thanks again for all your replies. I really appreciate it.

Ben
    GOPR0515_1489110737077_high.JPG 20170309_145315.jpg 20170309_145524.jpg 20170309_145933.jpg
    juno and B10Dave like this.
  8. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GOPR0516_1489110737077_high.JPG GOPR0493_1489110737077_high.JPG GOPR0509_1489110737077_high.JPG
    rubline and Ol Man like this.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You anywhere near JPL? That's on my list of places to visit before I die. The family will one day take a road trip there together in the truck camper.
  10. MRED

MRED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ben; you can send your extra stuff up to Mr. Ed's Moto and we will store it for you until you need or ride back thru Oregon.
    JeepDawg and everready like this.
  11. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Getting warm in AZ. Looking at 90s already. Carry plenty of water. We have some nice primitive camping down here that I would gladly show you. Also some garage space if you need to do any work on the bike.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's another thing too. I've got a decently equipped shop with welder, press, tools, bike lift, and a NAPA 300' away if you happen to swing by New England.
  13. mattn

mattn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled upon this RR today, and I'm in! You're going through some really beautiful parts of the country. Not sure if this was mentioned already, but on your way to NOLA you should definitely make your way through the Texas Hill Country, which is the area of the state roughly NW of San Antonio. Lots of great roads in there. I'm also originally from Baton Rouge, LA so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the area. It will be very advantageous staying in Picayune, and taking day trips into New Orleans - a most amazing city, IMO.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    East San Diego county has a wide variety of geography, going east take the road north to mount Laguna about 6000 ft continue north to Julian, continue north. The Paloma's Mountain si a popular sportbike destination n cafe there. Go back south then north east towards Temecula , then take the hiway to Palm Springs nice curvy drop into it from there you can see Joshua Tree state park, Grand Canyon further- south rim .
  15. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anza-Borrego is close to SD and is having a super bloom of wildflowers this spring.

Per the park rangers: "A top location is anywhere within a two-mile stretch of the Coyote Canyon Jeep Road, north of the north end of DiGiorgio Road with abundant Peirson’s Primoses and others, including a few remarkable Desert Lilies.

Another worth a look is the Henderson Canyon Road with patches of pink Sand Verbena, Dune Evening Primroses with their wide white petals, yellow Desert Sunflowers beginning to bloom, and a few Desert Lilies."

I remember one super bloom spring in Baja when the flowers formed a carpet as far as the eyes could see.
    It's truly amazing...

I know everyone is trying to steer you to their favorite places so I'm not even gonna mention that Baja is the most special place on the planet; oops, there I went and said it anyway.
  16. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Thank you all for your messages. Sorry, I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't have internet since I left La Jolla.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what that is. I googled it and it only shows some NASA stuff about a jet propulsion laboratory haha.

Hi Don, thank you for your offer. I will send you a private message.

I noticed today that it was really hot. My jacket has good ventilation and I always carry a 2 Liter bag of water in my tank bag. Plus a 10 liter bag in one of my panniers, which I fill up to the amount that I think I'll need for two days. Getting refills whenever I can.

Thank you for the offer. That's great. When I'm in the area I will contact you.

Unfortunely on my way to New Orleans I am not passing through Texas Hill Country. But I've heard of it before and on my way back west I am already planning on passing though there. I understood it has some of the best biking roads.

Ok, so the night before I left San Diego I set my GPS on a trip that will bring me through all the places you both mentioned. But for some reason, the next day, it changed my route and I missed Anza-Borrega. I am kinda pissed about that, because I really wanted to see this bloom. Ko had already mentioned it when I was still in Corvallis and I promised him pictures. When I found out that something was wrong, I was too far away already. Sorry to disappoint.

Yesterday I woke up, got everything loaded on my bike, said goodbye to my cousin and headed out of La Jolla to the east. As mentioned above, the route turned out a bit different than I had planned, but I still got to see some beautiful scenary.
    I took the 78 to Santa Ysabel. Then the 79 and turned on the 76. From there I did the full Palomar Mountain Loop. It was amazing. Great roads and a great view. Also the weather was just perfect. Not too hot, not too cold and some clouds. I really got spoiled that morning.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I took the 76 back to the 76/79 junction and turned left on the 79. I just followed the main road until I turned onto the 371 and followed it all through the Cahuilla Reservation, took a right on the 74 through the Santa Rosa reservation. That road was awesome! All downhill and really twisty all the way to Palm Desert.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    From there I took the 111 through Mecca, Bombay Beach and finally got some gas in Calipatria. This part of my trip was probably the weirdest so far. I don't know how to explain it, but that area just had the strangest vibe to it. It felt like a very dirty place, but at the same time I saw lots of RV's on the Salton Sea beach, so it couldn't be that bad, right? It was a mostly straight road through the desert and it was like it didn't really lead anywhere. And I just felt the contrast between where I was that morning and where I was then. It really feels like the middle of nowhere there. Two different worlds completely.
    When I got to Calipatria to get some gas, I stuffed myself with some almonds and dried fruit (I completely forgot to eat that day and suddenly I got super hungry). I was next to the pump where I had just tanked, stuffing my mouth with food when this Hispanic looking biker on a Harley, who could have just walked off the set from Sons of Anarchy approached me. He asked me where I was going. I told him that I am on my way to New Orleans, but that I wanted to make it to Tuscon the next day. He said to make sure to get gas when I pass through Yuma, because there will be the last gas station for 100 miles. Again I was impressed with the huge open spaces in this country. Before I took off, I asked him if he maybe new a place where I could camp for the night, but unfortunately he didn't. It was around 15:30 by then and I wanted to get at least another half an hour of riding done.
    I continued in the direction of Holtville and in the meantime I was keeping my eyes open for a nice place to spend the night. I didn't want to pitch my tent in the dark, so I stopped at a farm to ask if someone maybe knew a suitable spot. At the first farm I stopped at, no one was home.
    They say third time's a charm, but in my case it's two. I pulled over at a farm with two big silo's where there was a short man with a sleeveless shirt working on his pick-up truck (yes, true story). I think he was about 60 years old and he introduced himself as Harvey. He had two small dogs who were immediately really curious and interested. When I inquired about a suitable spot to set up my tent, Harvey said: "Why don't you just put it over there? On the ground or on the concrete, wherever you want."
    I was kind of surprised, in the best way possible and thanked him. His dogs came to look every other minute how I set up my tent. Later, when I was done setting up my tent and getting all my stuff sorted out, he came over to bring me some Gatorade and two bottles of water. "It looks like you could use some of this!" Grateful I told him that I was planning on leaving at sunrise the next day. "You leave whenever you want!"
    I made myself some some oatmeal with my uncle's cooking set and had everything sorted ready for sleep when the sun just touched the horizon. Harvey's dogs came to beg for some of my food, but they realised pretty quickly that I was hungrier than they were, so after a few minutes they gave up. I was really tired from that day, so I decided to go to sleep early.
    Since I can only post four pictures each time, I will end this post here and write about today later.
    Thanks again for all your kind help and replies.

Ben
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, JPL is NASA. I'm a space geek. What can I say. :D

I'm jealous of your weather.
    [​IMG]

I'd love to check out Salton City. Like living in a Fallout 4 era.
  18. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to thank you, SANGUIS, for allowing us (Well, ME !) to follow your ride by giving the numbers of the roads you ride and towns that you cross. Next to my computer, my Ipad with GOOGLE Earth allows me to visit South California.
    Have a nice ride
    KH
    JeepDawg likes this.
  19. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah! Exactly, it felt a bit post-apocalyptic!
    About the weather: I'm in Texas now and I'm not even pitching my tent anymore. Just a mat and sleeping bag.

No problem! I will keep doing that, glad you like it.

image.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Apologies for not posting yesterday. I wanted to get some good hours of sleep, because today was a long day of riding again. So I will post now about both yesterday and today.

Yesterday:

So I woke up at 5, hoping to be ready to head out at 5:30. That didn't happen... Everything took a bit longer than expected and a 5:45 I was finally on my way to Tuscon.

image.jpeg

I was told that the only realistic way of making it to Tuscon in a decent amount of time is by taking the interstate. Something I really didn't want to do. But I was also told that the 8 isn't really all that bad. In fact, as I was about to find out, it was incredible. It was a really calm road, with very few cars through an endless desert. Just like in the movies. Every time I thought that the mountain you see on the horizon is so far away that behind it is probably Tuscon already, I was proven wrong. Behind that mountain is another endless desert with another mountain on the horizon.
    I got some gas in Yuma (it's super cheap in Arizona) and also decided to eat my "breakfast" there. After a Cliff Bar and some almond, I hopped on again and continued over the 8.

image.jpeg

My next break was in Gila Bend. I decided to rest for a while, so that I could eat a proper amount of food and let the adrenaline wear off a bit. After some time it was getting kind of hot and I didn't see any place with some shade anywhere close, so I decided to continue.
    At Eloy I got some gas and just when I was about to continue, when two bikers arrived there as well and invited me for a soft drink. They were also on their way to Tuscon. We exchanged stories for a bit and then decided to ride there together. From here on the interstate wasn't as fun anymore. Lots of trucks and aggressive drivers, but it got us there quickly. The first biker took one of the first exits. The other one a bit later. I was the last one to exit the interstate and then I had to ride around 10 miles through Tuscon in order to get to Steve's and Sydney's place. Tuscon really seems like a nice city.
    I got in touch with Steve through the tent space thread and I arrived there at around 2 pm. Even though my previous tent space experience was great, I was still a bit nervous, because you never know what kind of person someone ks, until you actually meet him. Steve and Sydney are super nice people and amazing hosts. They offered me everything and were so very helpful. They also gave me lots of advice on some of the locations I plan to visit.
    Also the winter gear problem is solved, they kindly offered to store it for me and even ship it, if necessary. In the evening Steve made some great steaks and both him and Sydney came up with the plan to ride to Bisbee together the next day.

Today:

Obviously my phone screwed up with the day light savings thing, so I woke up at 4:30 instead of 5:30. I only realised that after I had repacked the entire bike, so after that I was obviously too nervous to go back to sleep.
    Sydney got her 650GS ready and Steve his 800GS.
    The three of us headed to Bisbee slightly after 6 am and it was a great ride, beautiful scenary and very good roads. We even made a stop at Tombstone, so I could play the tourist! I believe we took the 83 to the south and then turned left on the 82. We turned right on the 90 and then took a short detour through Tombstone and back on the 90 to Bisbee.
    Bisbee seemed like a very artsy kind of town, definately not how I imagine the Wild West!
    The road to there was very calm and when we got there we had a very nice lunch, after which we went our seperate ways. I continued east and Steve and Sydney headed back to Tuscon.
    I hereby want to thank you both again for all your help, advice, the great food and the good times. We will be in touch.

image.jpeg

From Bisbee I basically took the 80 and turned right on the 9, finally the 136 for a bit untill Canutillo. If I thought that Arizona was an endless desert that was because I hadn't seen New Mexico yet. Man, one time I went 30 miles without seeing any sign of life. This was the first time ever in my life that I would look around and I wouldn't see a person, a house or a car anywhere. For me that was really something. I rode through the southern part of the state close to the Mexican border and there was lots of border patrol.
    The desert out there was absolutely stunning. After many miles I got to Canutillo, Texas. A few days ago, I contacted Scott from the tent space thread. He said it wouldn't be a problem if I pitched my tent in his yard. He has a great place, he keeps horses, has dogs and even roosters. Really something different than the city life.
    Scott is a very nice guy who has been to some cool places on his bike. The gave me some good advice on some riding in Colorado as well.
    I am posting this ride report from here. Tomorrow, I want to wake up early and ride to Lubbock, Texas, where another tent space host lives.
    Thank you all again for your kind replies, advice and help. I really appreciate it.
    I'll post some more pictures as well.

Ben
    rubline, KryzHatch and B10Dave like this.
  20. Sanguis

Sanguis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuscon, Arizona:
    image.jpeg
    Tombstone: image.jpeg
    The endless New Mexican desert: image.jpeg image.jpeg