North cascades and mt loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by northwestsupra, May 24, 2016.

1. northwestsupra

northwestsupra that guy

Oddometer:
    I'd Is there a gpx or something that shows all the open trails around the mt loop hwy/ 530 / cascade hwy area? Getting old looking at google maps to find awesome looking forest roads to find they're gated off and locked.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try the Mt Baker/Snoqualmie NF MVUM maps...

Unfortunately, most of Region 6 have not updated their Maps or published their GIS data to the National Database (data.gov) so we can't really see what is current. Your best bet is to check with the Forest Service in the area you want to ride.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the published MVUM was the law. Are you saying that there are new signed orders that are not published?
  4. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The 'published' MVUM for MB/S is what it is - published in 2014. The FS does not need to publish a new one every time they decided to take a road/trail out of service or put them back in service (rarely). Given the Wildfire activiy in the PNW over the past three years, I'd be inclined to check with the FS before heading out into an area. Easy to do, just go to the webpage and look on the righthand side to see if there are any road closures. If not, have fun.

An example of a Forest that does not have a 'current 2014-15' MVUM is the Okanogan-Wanatchee NF. Every District must be check to see what roads are Closed AND you have to check the Wildfire Closure Map (interactive). My point was really that it is easier to check with the Ranger Station for the District you're going to ride in - you can call them. I do it regularly.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 15.49.11.png
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not so sure they are following federal regulations. I will check with my local forest contacts.

Many if not all agencies now think they can enforce "Closed unless Marked Open" which is actually Closed unless shown open on signed Travel Management Plan to cover sign vandalization. I don't think that that philosophy has been tested in any district appellate courts. The basic law in America is that roads, property etc are open unless posted closed, this is a giant exception to common law.

They can also "temporarily" close any route by an order with no public process but to permanently close a route that was open on MVUM without a public process is very questionable if not totally illegal.
  6. northwestsupra

northwestsupra that guy

Oddometer:
    So what determines if it's closed besides signage? I've heard logging company's will sell you keys, does DNR?
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Closures can be for various reasons and can be temporary or perminent as Jerry was discussing. There may be Gates and/or signage but when a large area is closed (temporarily) due to wildfire damage or other causes, you may not see a sign at every road entering an area (usually there are signs). But, my point was that it is your responsabiliy to check with the local Ranger District before hand: whether that is by using the MVUMs, NFS website and/or calling.

I don't beleive that DNR has road access management responsibilities. NFS does and I don't believe that they give out 'keys' to locked gates for private recreational purposes.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    A road can only be closed by an order signed by a line officer. I have seen questionable closed roads, requested the closure order under FOIA, and badabing, the closure went away.
    burley likes this.
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    There are certainly some questionable practices by some rather unethical FS Managers but that is not the general case in my experience.

Most temporary Closures have signage but as the Forest Serivce recommends, "Know Before You Go."
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never seen it by a line officer, however the staff can not be trusted.