North Central (Lake City, Live Oak, Madison, etc) street & Dirt riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by BillyGoat4130, Jan 14, 2018.

1. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a pretty good group of local street riding guys together, and if anyone is in the area and wants to join up, be happy to have you? We did a ride from Lake City down South of Madison, over to Greenville, to Monticello, and then worked our way back East to Live Oak a few weeks ago.

Couple example routes (I've been in the area about 25 years and drive on average about 2,000 miles a month in it so I've found most of the good roads and have become the unofficial "road master" for our little group it seems).

upload_2018-1-14_13-33-21.png

upload_2018-1-14_13-33-52.png

Keep eyeballing a different bike a bit more conducive to riding the numerous dirt roads in the area but keep having unexpected expenses when I think I'm gonna get to pull the trigger...but that's definitely on the radar.

Would like to map out a as-much-dirt-as-possible route to Tallahasse, would be kinda fun.

EDIT: As of April 2018 I have a DL1000 now, so little dirt road here and there or some off-road riding, I'm game for! Just steering clear of the sugar sand for a while till I learn the bike more :)
    SUMORYDR and Biggetybike like this.
  2. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    @Buzztail may be able to assist you as well as @HTSRocker with some dirt near Tally. If you guys allow KLR’s to slow you up myself and a couple bigger bikes from Jax may be interested.
  3. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind hooking up with y'all for some rides. I live a little south of you in Gainesville.
    SUMORYDR and BillyGoat4130 like this.
  4. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a dirt route from Tally to Mayo that was 90%+ dirt, but I haven’t ridden it in quite a few years. No GPX file, but I’m sure I could spend some time on a map and redraw it.
    039A88E4-964E-4C59-A60B-D78571F6ED7D.jpeg
  5. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Madison county and just picked up a Vee, I believe we used to pass each other occasionally while I commuted between Lake City and Madison on my Uly, Dr650 or FZ6. I may be riding in Aucilla next week your more than welcome to join
    BillyGoat4130 likes this.
  6. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    I know you can ride all dirt from Madison to Wakulla my riding buddy used to run a route off 53 in Madison to close to his home on the Wakulla river
  7. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    I've seriously considered a KLR for my next bike, but I think I'll probably wind up with a Wee (unless I just have a moment of complete insanity and sign myself up for 5 years of payments on an Africa Twin, haha). Some of the other guys may get antsy, but I have played around with the sprockets on my SV and I run out of gear at about 95mph because I'm just farting around on little 2 lane back roads a lot of times, so I'm fine cruising at 60-70 in the straights that allow it. They like to leave me on the highway sections and then I catch back up usually in the turns. There are some pretty fun roads around here. Looking at the aerials and maps of other portions of the state, and places I've heard referred to as the "best motorcycle roads in the state" I feel like we've got some stuff that may give it a run for its money. And some pretty country side to boot.

Definitely man - one of the guys in our group, his son is from down there. It'd be a little bit of a haul for you to get it up here to start riding (We haven't went southward too much, I haven't found anything particularly interesting in southern columbia or northern Alachua county yet, but feel free to share!). We've got a ride planned for this Sunday, meeting at the Busy Bee convenience store in Wellborn at US90/CR137 about 930am. Definitely welcome (same to every one else). PM your contact info if you'd like?

That'd be awesome. I've spent a LOT of time staring at google maps, and it looks like you could stay south of US90 and north of 19/27 and be in some pretty interesting places. If you have not been on the North side, kinda along the GA border between Tally and over East towards Madison and Valdosta...theres nice places in there. Up around Cherry Lake is really nice. I've turned off the asphalt onto interesting looking dirt roads with the SV a few times and lived to tell the tale (Like the profile pic), but Michelin Pilot Powers are not exactly sand friendly...ha.

You're right in my preferred area of riding man...We're meeting at the B&B in Wellborn on US90 in Live oak this weekend, but Madison and Jefferson counties are my favorite places to ride. Rocky Ford up to Cherry Lake, CR 150, Little Cat Rd, Dusty Miller on the north end. South side, CR 14, CR 360, Sundown Creek, Mosley Hall, those are all excellent paved roads.
  8. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    all excellent roads, I live close to Blue springs off SR6 so I am up for a ride when time permits. I have ridden all over North Florida for years, I lived in Lake City for 15 years while working in Gainesville and commuted the whole time to the tune of about 40,000 miles a year so I am pretty familiar with a lot of the roads over your way as well. I do work a weird schedule now though so most of my time off is during the week and I work usually every weekend
  9. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    I think that trip around 98 going to Cape San Blas is prob one of my favorites too.
    Buzztail likes this.
  10. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    You're super close then. I live across the river near the Boys Ranch but I keep my bike in town. CR143 between 141 and SR6 right in there twisting between the farm land is nice, so is old blue springs road. We definitely need to do some riding. Meet ya at Crossroads one day or something worst case scenario? Never been down to Cape San Blas on a bike...rode 98 to Apalachicola a few times in a car and thats one I'd like to do on a bike sometime also.
  11. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    lol Ive been running up and down Old Blue Springs road on a motorcycle since I was under 10 years old, grew up on that road and my folks still live there. Sounds good to me man if I can I'll ride!
  12. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work most Sunday's, but when you have a Saturday ride, please let me know. I rode dirt most of my life, but several accidents have made that difficult, so now I just ride streets. I bought a Harley just so I would not be tempted :-)
  13. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    This is actually the first Sunday ride we've done, so usually its been Saturday. Will definitely let you know, have another guy on a Harley also.
    Biggetybike and DresserCat like this.
  14. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, I will look forward to it.
  15. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    I'm on my way to go pick up a DL1000 this morning, so I'll have a more capable dirt road machine going forward. Still riding asphalt too of course!
    badweatherbiker and stubmw like this.
  16. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    You guy's still getting together for rides? I am in western Suwannee county a little bit north of Dowling park off river road. Retired here a few months back and just starting to explore/familiarize myself with the area on my F650gs.

PS...Congrats on the big Strom!
  17. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    Dude you're like right here in the middle of our little posse! Yes, we're still riding streets about every other weekend or so except I went about a month without because of work and other obligations, but otherwise it is pretty darn regular.

I'm up by the Boys Ranch, and my office and work is in Live Oak proper. Please PM me a # or a contact for you, I will let you know when we're getting together or worst case scenario since you've got a bike that's not afraid of dirt maybe you'll be a good one to help me break in the big V.
  18. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    Stu - Tower Rd on SR 53 is the one I was trying to think of the name of that goes over to CR 360 we were talking about the other day (Short one at the top)

upload_2018-4-1_20-35-27.png

I've been up in there a little bit before, but not a lot. Also been on a little bit of the south section of that long route also before, but probably not more than 7-8 miles worth at best. Wanna try that Tower Rd section sometime, and if it goes well and we feel brave, do that North/South long run? Anyone else ever rode around in there?
    stubmw likes this.
  19. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    I had a hunt lease off your southern highlighted line before I got into D/S riding. I want to go back as there are some roads back in there that would be some fun.
  20. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I think both of those roads should be pretty solid. The Granger Road area on the south end like you mentioned is the little bit i am familiar with also, it turns into "Camp" Road. I think those are like the main arterial roads in there, and they probably keep them fairly decent for the log trucks.