North Ga Training???

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by CTD-EXP, May 3, 2019.

1. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    Not sure if this is the correct location, if not please move or delete.

I went to Durham Town this past week and learned that I cannot ride dirt very well. I have been looking for ADV, Dirt or Motor-cross type training in the SE. I found the BMW school in SC, but it is limited. The MSF Dirt course looks like a extension of the road class, I do not think I would get much more from that class then I did on the street one. I find this sort of training in CO, CA, TX and PENN, but nothing in the Smokey mountain range. I did a Google Search and Searched a few forums and nothing....I just cannot believe there is nothing in the SE. Am I missing something? Can someone point me to the correct direction, looking for ADV/Dirt training in the SE area.

Just an idea, maybe we can start or add a sticky were training schools can post there schedules/rides and current offerings etc...
    West38Moto likes this.
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did dirt school at alpharetta GA. Also trials training center in TN.

Big bike stuff Tom Asher has been at rib fest the last couple years.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  3. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cornerspin near Greensboro, NC bills itself as "road racing in the dirt" but the skills taught are very applicable to dirt. They provide 100cc or 150cc bikes, so crashing is much easier on you. :)
    DCTFAN likes this.
  4. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also suggest cornerspin.

I'm also willing to teach horrible techniques that will surely result in unsafe riding and many years to ''unlearn".... But I'll teach you for free.
    DCTFAN, Jchandler and Ernbo6 like this.
  5. West38Moto

West38Moto Ride and Discover

Oddometer:
    I am curious as to what you are looking for in the way of training, because my inclination would be to recommend the Off-Road Class at the BMW Performance Center. However, you said it was "limited". What kind of training are you looking for in an off-road class that is different than what they offer? Throw that up here and maybe we can find you some options that meet your needs.

We do have and offer lots of training in the west, but it is understandable that traveling that far is perhaps not within your reach. However, if you come out to train with us, you will have some spectacular riding opportunities while out here!

Good luck with your search, and if you offer up more info, I'll see what I can find to help out.

The West 38 Moto Team
    www.West38Moto.com
  6. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input and questions.
    I see Four areas of off-road training
    MSF for Dirt, which really seems like a minor extension from the MSF course for road. I took and strongly suggest to everyone to take the MSF course, but the dirt one looks to cover the same items as the road one does just with a few added items.

Big Bike or ADV riding, This would include slow speed movements, hill riding (Starting and Stopping) geared towards more slow speed.

MX or small bike riding, This includes reading a jump, high speed movements etc.

Track riding on the dirt, Texas Tornado and corner-spin are examples. I would love to do this as well and most likely will, but it is not what I am looking for as far as off road training goes.

Ideally I would like to find a mix between big bike and small bike training. I just need basic training, how to read a trail/jump/hill, body placement, how to ride ruts, how to ride mud etc. How and why not to use your face to stop a motorcycle.

I am just shocked that it seems most if not all of the training is out west, Even at 500 dollars for two days which is reasonable, I have to look at renting a bike (~300), Airfare (~300), hotels (~300) food etc...comes out to 700-800 dollars a day.
    We have the blue ridge mountains, we have Durhamtown, we have Scrub 'N Dirt. I am sure there are many more places around that I do not know. I have reached out to them and they do not have anything offered, nor know anyone/place.
    We have enough demand to keep these places open and the mountain trails open, but no one offers training? I honestly thought it was me and I could not Google properly.

What I meant by the "Limited" BMW course, last I looked the off road classes were not very often and it looked like they were booked full.

Maybe if I get good enough off-road I can open a training course down here....I should name it "How not to use your face to stop a dirt bike".
    Jchandler likes this.
  7. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
  8. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Training is different for each of us but my opinion about MSF Dirt Classes is completely different than yours,
    having taken all the MSF Dirt courses (MSF Alpharetta) over three years at the same facility.
    I see you're in ATL which means the MSF facility we are talking about is the same one in Alpharetta, GA.
    This MSF facility is unique in that they have a small trail system that enables instructors/students to cover many offroad riding skills.
    Once you complete the Basic requirement, they even allow personal bikes in Dirt classes (not allowed for beginner courses).
  9. Jchandler

Jchandler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the MSF dirt course a month ago. I’ve ridden street bikes for a few years, but I’m new to dirt riding. The course was awesome and well worth the money. The second day was all trails and truly challenging. I could have used one of their CRF250s, but I decided to do the course with my DR650. It would have been easier with the CRF, but I wanted to get more comfortable with my bike. Anyway, for a beginner, the MSF course was a great investment and time well spent. I wouldn’t write it off.
    Also, where are you located? Maybe we could meet up for a ride sometime!
  10. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Plenty of places up north where you can ride to improve bike skills.
    I am not promoting one training venue over the other, but just posting what my experiences have been.
    Inbetween MSF classes, I have taken Tom Asher's ADV classes that were offered at MMM in Tellico Plains, TN
    Also done the Cornerspin in NC which is similar (IMO better) compared to SuperCamp out West.
    Training helps build confidence and establishes a good base of knowledge at what level you should be riding.
    But so does riding with others or just riding and challenging yourself as often as you can.
    IMO, it's easier to just open your wallet and take the more popular ADV classes out west bugt if you look,
    there's plenty around the SE to improve your riding skills and save dough for other goodies you will need-
    buying replacements for broken bike parts :)

Attached Files:

Jchandler likes this.
  11. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, Awesome. I reviewed the MSF course and it looked to me that it was just a minor change from the street class. I will take it from someone who has taken it, that it is different. I will sign up for the MSF course in Alpharetta. I recommend the MSF street course to everyone.

I signed up for cornerspin for July 20-21st. I am super excited about going. I will put my thoughts down when I get back. So far, It looks promising.

It looks like Tom Ashers ADV school has not been updated in a while, but I sent them a email asking about there next classes.

I am up for a ride, I live in Monroe which is halfway between Atlanta and Athens. I am hoping to make the July 6th dual sport ride out of TWOS. I am not sure if I will be ready, the DRZ is in parts and I am not sure I can get it 100% before then. Just have to see, but I am planing on it.

Thank you all for the input.
    Jchandler likes this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    American Supercamp comes to Gainesville every year. It’s like Cornerspeed
    Have you checked with Highland Park? I saw a poster at Mountain advertising “learn to ride” with a dirt focus there.
    IIRC, there is an MX track in Monroe off Hwy 11. Maybe they have a school.
  13. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The MX Track in Monroe is called Scrub N' Dirt. They have a facebook page, but I did not see a web-site. I have been there, looks awesome. Everyone seems really nice, they offered some personal instruction, but still seems very daunting to someone who has never really ridden dirt much less a full blown MX track.

I signed up for the MSF Dirt Course for July 6th here in Alpharetta, then the Cornor speed class July 20th. So July is going to be a full month of riding.....Maybe after those two course's and some more time off road I will tackle a MX track...
    Jchandler likes this.
  14. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to give my .02 on the MSF course.

Summary, I was very wrong, it is very dirt oriented. I learned a lot, so much so that I have signed up for the Trails Course in Aug....For the 125 dollars, I would highly recommend it.

I took the class in Alpharetta at the Honda place. My instructor was very knowledgeable and wanted to be there. I was very surprised by the mix in the class, there were only 6 of us, 3 women and 3 Men. One was a married couple and the other three were teenagers ( I think 2 of them were under or at least 15). There was a little class room session, maybe 15-20 mins. But then it was out to the bikes. They had a nice selection of motorcycles. They were all the trail bikes and depending on your size you got the correct size bike. I was on the CRF230, The other people got the 150F, 125F and the 110F, they even had some of the CRF50F's. All the lessons were on dirt, the bike did not touch pavement one time. But I was able to get other parts then the tires to touch the dirt.
    They loan you everything. You have to be fully geared up, boots, knee pads, elbow pads, pants, jersey, gloves and helmet. All good gear, all in good order and clean. Get there early so you are not in a rush finding the correct stuff. I took my time and found the gear that fit me correctly. I also took a picture of all the sizing so I have it if I want to order some in the future.
    Most of the exercises were run two to four times with about 3-4 laps each time. One sitting going counterclockwise, then standing, then going clockwise sitting, standing.
    The class started with a small class room session, what sort of dirt bikes are there, what to look at before you start a ride, controls all the basic's like the normal street course. Then we moved to the range and started with how to properly sit on a dirt bike. My lesson here, was you sit way father up then I thought you would, strong arms. Then we went to clutch control, duck waddle the bike back and forth, learn the friction zone for the clutch. Then feet up and back and forth. The basic's, Then we simply rode around, feet up, eyes up, proper position etc..Then we moved to shifting, starting and stopping on the dirt. All good basic stuff that I can always be refreshed on. Then we went into weaving in and out of the cones. Then we did tighter turns and how to swing your bottom over the bike to counterbalance, then we did figure 8 exercise to keep your eyes up. Then we went into deeper weaves, which I found to be very challenging to do it properly and slow. We went to lunch and then had another 15 min class room session. Then we got back out on the bikes and covered how to properly cross obstacles. Then the final lesson was how to properly climb and turn on a hill, then climb, turn and stop on the hill, then climb, cross and go down the hill. Covered weight transfer.
    It was all good stuff, I am glad I went. There were some points of refreshing, but I need it. I did learn a lot and it was very worth the money. I am looking forward to going back in a few weeks. . Those are the only two dirt courses offered there. The trail one looks pretty difficult.

I have Corner Spin in two weekends. I will post my review on it after I get back.
    Two weekends after that I will attend the trails course. I will post my thoughts on that as well.
    I feel really good about improving my riding skill set this summer,
    Thanks to everyone for pitching in and helping me find classes.
  15. CTD-EXP

CTD-EXP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_3657.JPG IMG_3660.JPG IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3666.JPG
  16. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're gonna love Cornerspin. Ride your big bike in between those classes.
    Helps transfer the skillz and let your brain sort them out between bikes.
  17. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya gotta # for honda in roswell i'm wanting to do the experniced rider road course

thx
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think 500 is expensive? I'm dying to do one of these classes but the GS course offered here where I live, well, 3 hours away, is 800 for 2 days. Not including tax......or accommodations.....or food.....so 2 days is close to 900 bucks even if you camp.

Does the MSF dirt coursexrun anywhere in the northeast? PA or NY?