North Georgia in late November?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JasonFL, Oct 14, 2020.

1. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 10 days off the week of Thanksgiving, and have begun trip planning as family rented a cabin in Rome, GA for the week. I'm from South Florida and really want to ride up so curious as to what to expect.
    I don't have much riding experience below 50 degrees, no heated gear, no heated grips just a decent leather and layers. Ride or take the truck?
  2. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    total crap shoot...could be 65 degrees, could be 30 degrees or colder. As long as you don't start out before noon, on sunny days, the weather is usually tolerable for short rides in the mountains. Bring your long-johns.
  3. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was thinking while looking over monthly averages the last 5 years, it’s all over the place.

Maybe plan the trip then watch the weather closer to leaving.
  4. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I'd do. I wouldn't call Georgia mountains "year round" riding weather, but there's always a few days where it's warm enough for a nice ride. Especially in November. If you're riding up from Florida, just keep your travel dates up and back a little flexible. So if it looks like a cold rain, you can wait a day or two for the wx to improve. Riding for several hours in a cold November rain really suxs.
    JasonFL likes this.
  5. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, its a crap shoot and dont count on the forecast either.
    Did a November trip a couple of years ago and forecast just before we left said 40's-50's, it was 20's -30's.
    JasonFL and Ginger Beard like this.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    It's really really warm in North Georgia in November. Compared to here in New England. You'll be just fine!
    ...it's all a matter of one's perspective. :photog
  7. Hoppa

Hoppa The Wandering Hoppa

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of heading that way in early November of this year, and going through NC does anyone have some routes they can add to my must do trips? I did the MABDR earlier this year. Sorry for hijacking a thread, I just thought if this one was already out there, I could add to it.
  8. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i can give you hundreds of miles of great pavement routes, not so much gravel, but there are lots and lots of forest service roads....I just don't know that many of them
    Hoppa likes this.
  9. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I guess your staying not in Rome but really someplace in the Chattahoochee Nat. Forest. Cold and rain is one thing but watch the elevation. Snow can happen. But it goes away quickly.
    JasonFL likes this.
  10. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s a 160 acre cabin/ranch just outside of Rome. Not exactly ideal for me, but not terribly far from some good roads.

Supposed to be meeting some friends from Ringgold in Dalton, then heading to Blue Ridge, Helen, etc.
    Weather permitting, not sure how much riding I’ll be able to get in up there, was primarily concerned about the ride from Florida and back.
  11. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lived in Atlanta for about 15 years and rode all through the mountains - Helen, Neels Gap, Suches, Morganton, Dahlonaga, Dillard - and by Nov, I left the bikes at home and went hiking, grouse hunting, and such. If you get the weather, there's some nice riding west into Alabama and north of Rome going towards Chattanooga/Lookout Mt. and I don't think it has the elevation. As others have said, it's a crapshoot. Your friends should be able to help you decide. Ringold is really close to the Cohutta Wilderness Area which has some awesome roads around it.
    JasonFL likes this.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    If its the ride to/from you are really concerned with, I say watch the weather and go for it.
    The flatlands don't seem to see the cold like you do in the mountains and I found when it does its more in tune to the forecast temps.

Done a few trips up around Little River Canyon/Mentone late in the year and it can get cold (20-30's), but tends to be close forecast.
  13. MarcoSolo

Oddometer:
    Just remembered - I rode a BMW R1000RS from Atlanta to Tampa one pre-Thanksgiving Wednesday and back the following Sunday. I was glad to have an electric vest and a good faring on the way down but it was relatively mild, especially on the way back with the sun.

As an aside, Wednesday night was crazy - a bumper to bumper 80+ mph drafting stock car race from Atlanta to well below Macon, all the while praying no one hits their brakes.
  14. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! Traffic will be heavy and dangerous the day before/after.
    Definitely leaving the Saturday before and waiting for everyone to go home before I do.

I’m looking at maps now for back roads, I don’t want to do much slab if I don’t have to.
    19 to Tallahassee then 27 north to Rome is looking like a pretty good option, much longer but good.
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  15. MarcoSolo

Oddometer:
    Looks like the weather is going to stay mild. Hope to get a ride report. Good luck.