North Illinois DS Track

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Gerken, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..just wanted to chime in to thank @Gerken and keep this thread as well as these tracks alive! A friend and I rode the route this past weekend and it was absolutely incredible. We rode out from St. Charles Illinois on rt64 for 95miles before hooking up with the tracks in Mt. Carroll. We rode a DR650 and a KLX250. Headed out on a Saturday morning, camped in Galena, then continued the route home on Sunday. Ok, enough about us, here's some pics: thanks again!

Glad to hear you had a good time. You two picked an ideal weather weekend, those have been few thus far in 2017. Nice to see people still using this track.
    Three Crates likes this.
  2. Silver dude

Silver dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode this route again today with my dad. Really one of the better rides I went on this year. The bridge at S apple river rd is blown out due to the recent flooding there was like a 20ft drop to the river no chance of passage. I went to the bridge east of there and discovered a beautiful Iron Pratt thru truss bridge with the original wood planks to ride over. What a blast thanks for the track.
  3. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Glad you had fun and spent quality family time enjoying this area. I always knew that bridge was a target, sad to see it down. Difficult to say what the future holds for repair/replacement considering all the funds used for road repairs the last two years in that area. Be safe and explore.
  4. MUskier

MUskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gerken!

Reviving an old thread here, planning on riding parts of the route with some friends tomorrow. What do you know about the Private Development off-chute you have routed? Is it still in play?
  5. HateRyder

HateRyder Schtool

Oddometer:
    Muskier If you do the route post how it is now. I am also from Dixon and am curious about the route. Have fun.
  6. Gerken

Oddometer:
    A big no on that question. A lot of things have changed since I first posted this track and that would be one of them.
  7. MUskier

MUskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We ended up riding bits and pieces of it today around the rain storms. We did ride the private development part. There weren’t any signs or closed gates or anything, but yeah, felt like maybe we shouldn’t have. Wouldn’t have had I seen your reply before we left.

We spent 2.5 hours in Mt. Carroll waiting out the storms. Charlie’s is a nice place to hang out. The rest that we rode was a lot of fun, awesome day once the rain moved through.
    Three Crates likes this.
  8. skyhigh35

skyhigh35 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was able to get out and ride the first 60ish miles of these tracks last week. I got backwards on my GPS and ended up riding "up" krise rd, it was a muddy/rutted out mess, but I bashed my 950r through it. When I figured out I had gotten backwards on the tracks I had to ride back down the county divide and Krise rd, I won't complain about that any day. The bike definitely needs a wash though. Beautiful country up there, Im going to try and get up and ride more of it in July.
    Three Crates likes this.
  9. Pearl City Chinook

Pearl City Chinook n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to thank you for this route. Only got through about half today before I ran out of time due to prior commitments. I’m new to adv riding and have lived close to these roads for years and had no idea how much fun I was missing.
    Should have read the whole thread before riding county divide road today. It was a little over my skill level and I dropped the bike at slow speed trying to get out of a rut. Nothing hurt other than my pride......
    Hoping to get time to ride the rest of the route next weekend and maybe try another track of yours from this area.
    Thanks again
    CP 25224ACD-9B79-435B-8A3C-C429CA971CD8.jpeg D0C59516-368A-494B-94BE-F33F39D5F9C4.jpeg

Attached Files:

Three Crates and sieg like this.
  10. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tracks everyone puts up are fantastic. There isnt much out here in the chicago burbs, and I always enjoy that area when I head out there.
  11. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Good to see others making use of this track and I appreciate the quality picture contribution. Yes that County Divide/Krise Road is a challenge no matter how you slice it so don't feel discouraged for struggling a wee bit. Gotta say, from a casual glance of your photos the road itself looks in as good of shape as it ever gets albeit heavy on the overgrown foliage. Enjoy while you can because I feel it's closure is imminent. Thanks for the kind words and keep exploring.