North to South America on a Honda 250 (back home)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, I tried to get a replacement back in Santiago but never found a suitable cable and really couldn't be bothered anyway.

I just found out Honda released a new CB350, another great no-nonsense bike. Probably gets great mileage too. Would love to take one around a continent!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :)
    td63, Cal, roadcapDen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    It was time to cross into a new country again. Up to this point I had never entered into Argentina, even though there are many beautiful mountain passes and cities in the north of the country. But my route todat would take me along the southern shore of Lake General Cerrara, across the border and into Argentina to the town of Perito Moreno (not to be mistaken with the glacier a few hundred kilometers further south). I would also leave behind the Carretera Austral and start chipping away at a part of the equally impressive Ruta 40.
    [​IMG]

It's all gravel roads, but good ones. And really, the area around the lake is in my opinion the most awesome part of the Carretera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every other minute I felt the urge to stop and admire the view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just when you think you've seen it all.. it gets even better!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Letting the bike run loose on the straight downhill sections :D Well.. loose.. it won't even do 120km/h.
    [​IMG]

Before pulling over for another set of pictures.. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More stunning views, and more gravel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It..
    [​IMG]

Just..
    [​IMG]

Never..
    [​IMG]

Stops..
    [​IMG]

Well it did eventually.. Reaching Chile Chico and across the border into Argentina, gone were the majestic snow capped mountains.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And welcome to the windswept, cold and arid flatlands of Patagonia.
    [​IMG]

After changing some Dollars to Argentine Peso's at a hotel (gets you a way better rate than using an ATM) I found a municipal campsite in Perito Moreno, which cost me a whopping 1 dollar for a night.
    [​IMG]

While walking to the supermarket there were some kids playing in the park, of which one spoke perfect English, how cool I thought. And then I saw a campervan with Belgium plates, oh that explaines. So I went over to have a chat. Luc, Annelies and their two kids Mia and Tom had also been traveling from Canada all the way down to Argentina. They had to get groceries too, so I hitched a ride and we chatted some more along the way. They even dropped me off at the campsite. Such a great family, we were heading the same direction and would probably meet somewhere further along the road.
    [​IMG]

Got a bottle of wine from the shop, for one it was cheap.. and two, I thought it was a fitting name. La Poderosa (the Mighty) is the name of the Norton motorcycle used by Che Guevara on his live changing trip.
    [​IMG]
  3. LS650

LS650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - some amazing scenery that day!
    Joris van O likes this.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Well, how was the wine?!
    Joris van O and Cal like this.
  5. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Amazing pictures Joris!

I have a chance to buy ten 2007 Honda Titans, CG150 originally from Brazil, so something else for you to try!?!

cg150titan.jpg
  6. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    > Every other minute I felt the urge to stop and admire the view.

And snap a photo ... thank god.
    Continued thanks.
    Joris van O likes this.
  7. Donson

Donson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now we know where the word AZUL came from.
    Breathtaking!
    Joris van O likes this.
  8. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might be interested in one of those, were they imported into Canada?
    Joris van O likes this.
  9. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, dude...those are some seriously good photos! National Geographic stuff :bow
    Joris van O likes this.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update and looks like you had the perfect weather.

:ricky
    Joris van O likes this.
  11. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about wine, well.. there's red, white and the pink one. But it really was good! Those Chileans and Argentineans know how to make a good bottle haha :D

You're going to use them for training? I'd love to take one of those across the TAT. I've raced a few of them in Central America and they're not much slower than a 250 :lol2
    HardWorkingDog and roadcapDen like this.
  12. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    "You're going to use them for training?"

That's what they've been used for, so mechanically sound but cosmetically not so much:D
    Joris van O likes this.
  13. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Appreciate the maps! Heading that way when I can again.
    Joris van O likes this.
  14. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    The contrast between todays views and last weeks views couldn't be starker. From high snow capped mountains, bright blue lakes and colourful forests to barren windswept plains, desert-like but colder. The route would take me from Perito Moreno to Gobernador Gregores. Fortunately the weather was still on my side, and the winds weren't as bad as many had warned me for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not all barren and dry though. This Estancia La Lucha along Ruta 40 looked beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had spotted them earlier on in Argentina, but never got the change to take a photo of them. Those Emus were always together with Guanacos and as soon as one of would start running, they were off with the whole pack. But this lone Emu was minding his own business, not at all bothered by me.
    [​IMG]

You might have heard about the dreaded gravel part of the Ruta 40 north of Gobernador Gregores. Although it probably wasn't as bad as it had been a few months prior, when they had piled one feet of loose gravel on the road. There were still some deep parts and it caught me out a few times. Didn't go down, but I needed new undies after that stretch of road :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I walked out of the small hostel I had found in Gob. Gregores I spotted a familiar campervan. Just by luck the Belgian family I met earlier had parked right in front of the hostel. They invited me over for a drink later in the evening, and because they were so close to the hostel they were able to use the Wifi so we could listen to some great Belgian and Dutch tunes (much to the amusement of the kids).

Next morning, just another ride. But at least with a good destination at the end of the day. Namely, El Chalten. Another sunny day!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warning, lot's of Mount Fitz Roy photos coming up :D The route into El Chalten is quite stunning, heading straight for the Cerro Torre and Cerro Chalten.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No adventure is complete without some riding selfies right? 'Leaves camera on concrete post, sets timer to 10 sec, jumps on bike and guns it'.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arriving around noon gave me the opportunity to go for a hike in the park the same day. Even in march, which I think is considered shoulder-season, El Chalten was still packed with tourists. I found a place to pitch my tent, in the backyard of a hostel. After a quick lunch I got back on the bike and rode to the trailhead just out of town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I chose to do a short hike of only a few hours that would take me to a couple of viewpoints, to make it back before nightfall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of glaciers around (well, enjoy it while it lasts)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for the grand finale, a cloudless Mount Fitz Roy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back at the hostel, it was getting a bit crowded. It was a social affair though, with only one kitchen and two toilet/shower stalls for a lot of people. Everyone was prepping for days of backpacking through the park and I regretted not having more dedicated hiking gear so I could head off into the mountains for a few days, but alas you can't have it all. I have to come back to Patagonia at some point to do all these incredible hikes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A stunning reminder of "normal" days. Continued thanks for posting.
    Joris van O and roadcapDen like this.
  16. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    First I got a smile on my face when I saw you posted an update,
    and then, WOW!!!
    Joris van O likes this.
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW.....damn brilliant pics

all pics in one post! we're getting overdosed....:bow
    Joris van O likes this.
  18. Towmater

Towmater Frostback...rider

Oddometer:
    Wow Joris. We met at the Dust to Dawson rally. 3 of us lads were riding FJR1300. It was awesome to read your report. Thanks for taking us along. Some of the crew we were with.[​IMG]
    Joris van O likes this.
  19. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Dance with the one that brung ya.

(Ride what you've got... just ride)
    Joris van O likes this.
  20. fastfrankie007

fastfrankie007 n00b

Oddometer:
    Kiel Germany or on the road in the US / MEX / CAN
    _SDI5474.JPG Hi Joris !
    Normally I don't leave reply very often - but ha ...
    I bumped in here by accident and saw the bike !
    There are not many people traveling on a 250 Honda with a Dutch number plate ...
    We have met at the border leaving Steward into Hyder Alsaka.
    I was leaving Hyder / Alaska and you came in...
    28th of June 2019 ...
    Later in the evening we had some beers with geologists searching for gold on a local event in Steward !
    I'm sorry to read the engine quit in Smithers just after we met !
    I hav'ent read your report in full lengh - but men you did it !
    Congratulations and much respect!

Frank from Germany on green and black _SDI5474.JPG View attachment 2661289 full]2661287[/ATTACH] View attachment 2661289 KLR650 with a Californian numberplate