North to South America on a Honda 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting to do this for more than five years now, explore North, Central and South America on a motorcycle. I managed to temporary satisfy my appetite for motorcycle travel with trips through Africa and Europe, but the idea of a bigger and longer ride never left my mind. Those trips also gave me more confidence and experience and I realized that if I try real hard I might be able to actually do this.

So in summer 2018 I was riding on some road heading to Athens and then and there I made the decision to go for it. No more excuses, there will be no better time. Yes it will be difficult, yes I have to give up many things, yes I will be asking myself why on earth I’m doing this, but it will be all worth it in the end. Even if it’s only to get this idea out of my head.

Back then when I made that decision and when I booked my flight it still seemed far away. In the past months I kept myself entertained by researching kit, improving the bike and ordering all kinds of nice stuff that I would definitely need one day. Now, with only a week left and most lists checked off I am starting to feel nervous. But it is exciting too.

Last week I delivered my bike at the shipping terminal in Zeebrugge (Belgium). After a lot of hard work (there is always something to fix) it was time to send it on its way to Canada. Its current location is somewhere south of Ireland on a RoRo vessel called ‘Glorious Leader’. If all goes well in a weeks’ time it will be waiting for me to pick it up at the Autoport in Halifax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bon voyage and ride safe. If you come to Rhode Island, we'll leave a light on for ya!
    austinsnod22 and Joris van O like this.
  3. xtmag

xtmag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here! I am in Southeastern Massachusetts. If you need tools I can help.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and welcome! You would have to figure out how to avoid interstates in US but otherwise would have alot of fun! South of the border 250 would be almost perfect.

If you have a chance get Rand McNally road atlas it has most of the scenic US roads marked good luck!
  5. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    it's fun tracking your ship, isn't it? great bike for the backroads
  6. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! Can you share why you have your rear box mounted backwards? Has to be an interesting story for that. Great bike. Safe travels!
  7. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    I'm checking the tracking page every day and hope everything goes smooth when I go to collect the bike. So far it has been quite a stressful process, I've learned a lot about shipping though. I plan to do a loop following the backroads of Nova Scotia to get my feet wet before I venture further west.

Thanks! I could say it is more aerodynamic this way but it's actually only mounted backwards for shipping. It sticks out quite a lot normally and I was afraid they wouldn't accept it with the dimensions I gave them.
  8. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Oh bikes..

Ever since I thought of this trip there was one uncertainty, well many actually but this one was the most annoying. Which bike to use? I have travelled on Honda Cubs when I was young, and they have proved to be RTW capable bikes but just a little more comfort and speed would be nice. In Africa we used Honda XRV750’s (Africa Twins), brilliant bike but the ones we had did suffer from electronic problems, could have been bad preparation but still. It was also quite heavy. I remember camping alone on a beach in Angola and in the morning I had to roll the bike backwards through the soft sand to be able to ride off the beach. I managed, only just, but it was enough to realize that if I’m going solo I want a bike that I can lift and move around by myself. I did like the engine torque of the V-twin and the suspension travel. So after the Africa Twin and my first bike a Kawasaki ER-5 were gone I got a cheap Honda SLR 650, the road version of the XR650. How I loved to get the front wheel of the ground, that thing was so much fun. But a full tank only lasted about 80 miles, it was fun for a while but not very practical.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For commuting to work I got a cheap Honda 250 Nighthawk, which turned out to be perfect. I rode the thing to Montenegro in summer 2017 and it never complained, not once did it fail me. This Nighthawk is now a project bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In September 2017 I bought the European version called the Honda Two Fifty which has a front disc brake, a rev counter and a center stand. The one I got for 550 euro had only done 12.000km or 7.500 miles in 25 years. It was a good candidate for my intended trip. One and a half year later, many commutes and a trip to Istanbul in 2018 it has done 42.000km (26.000 miles) and it doesn’t feel that new anymore. I was again doubting if a little 250 would be suitable for riding from North America all the way South and so I bought a Honda Transalp 650.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again I liked the engine and suspension but this Transalp wasn’t wat I was looking for, so the choice was made. I would go on the Two Fifty. To get it ready for this trip it needed some work. I did the basics like tires, filters, bearings, brakes and oil. Then the fun stuff of modifying it, heated grips, wind protection, cruise control, auxiliary lights, luggage and luggage racks, charging ports, brackets for navigation and Spot GPS, a chain lube system and many more small jobs. Oh and I changed the color from green to red, I like the red more!

Cheap Chinese lights, they work very well for the price.
    [​IMG]

Everything is within reach, mounted on the bars.
    [​IMG]

I got a Loobman chain lube system, which works perfect!
    [​IMG]

I made these luggage racks for the Lomo motorcycle panniers I bought. This way the bags are hard mounted but easily removable. On both sides between the wheel and the rack there is just enough room to fit a bottle for some spare fuel or water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm in...:lurk

FWIW, from the pics, it looks as if the panniers will touch the exhaust despite that small shelf you've added...
  10. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    shipped mine from Oklahoma to Dublin, would've bought one in ireland but it's hard to find; 2009 BMW g650 x country. added expenses occurred at the final destination, surprise surprise. and the govt wanted to charge me an import fee, which they finally dropped. I told them over and over i was not importing, registered to me, going to stay registered to me and just riding it. hope your US experience is smooth
  11. canadianshark74

canadianshark74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I'm along for the ride!
  12. Astrid - Woerden

Astrid - Woerden n00b

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your amazing trip. I will for sure enjoy following you. :clap
  13. ballpeen

ballpeen _______________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!

Years ago I mercilessly beat a '82 CM250 for around 15k miles and the thing never let me down. Cheap fun.
  14. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following you from Michigan, US. Great choice of bike as far as reliability is concerned. I personally like something larger, but that Nighthawk will take you wherever you may want to go.
  15. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Love smaller bike rides! Good luck!
    Joris van O likes this.
  16. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Give me a shout when you're in the area. I can offer whatever help you might need.
    austinsnod22, Foiler and Joris van O like this.
  17. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will have a blast I am sure.

I have a Loobman on my CB500X and currently putzing around in Peru. It worked fine until the roads got dusty....then the button got stuck in the down position......I was wondering why I could smell gear oil! Dumped about 100ml out over 20 miles.....what a friggin' mess that made. If you tackle unmade and dusty roads just remember to pull the button up, don't rely on the return spring.

Cheers. T2
    austinsnod22, Joris van O and wilfred like this.
  18. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! Good luck!
  19. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    In midcoast Maine and know some greats routes in the state. Leet me know if you need a place to tent or tools!
  20. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!
    I'll share a bit more about me and the planned route soon, once I'm settled in.

This afternoon I arrived in Halifax. Left Amsterdam yesterday at 5pm for a one hour flight to London City. I then dragged my incredibly heavy luggage bag to the London Bridge for a quick look and proceeded by train to Gatwick to spend the night somewhere on the floor. That idea was pretty dumb, airport's aren't made for sleeping. I was most fortunate to pick a spot at the customs checkpoint for families. I might have gotten two hours of sleep before the first kids arrived. No earplug ever will stop the sound of screaming children.

After the 16 hour layover in London the six hour flight to Halifax was a breeze. Plus I gained another four hours today, for a total of five. Combined with the lack of sleep I'm now pretty beat. So after checking in to the hostel and a short wash I then went to the customs office and within five minutes everything was done. Tomorrow I will get the bike from the Autoport (hopefully).

Now, sleep..

Haha great If you're still there next year let me know! I already made a habit of pulling the button back to the up position, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks!