North to South America on a Honda 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Apr 26, 2019.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! More please.
    Joris van O likes this.
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Jaja, you're doing it right amigo!
    Tequila shots help your confidence?
    A Chica cliffhanger...
    Joris van O likes this.
  3. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went to another place and somehow Gaby and I ended up next to each other and talked most of the evening (and maybe danced too, sort of.. as I can't dance). Late in the night, or early in the morning I kissed her goodnight and walked back to the hostel. She agreed to have lunch together on Monday and to show me around the city. I booked one extra night. Whoohoo :)
    [​IMG]

I used the Sunday to visit some of the places that were recommended to me. Starting with the Instituto Cultural Cabañas. Some fascinating huge murals from José Orozco. Never heard of the guy before but I was impressed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More from the same guy in the Museo de las Artes UDG.
    [​IMG]

Lunch at Mercado Libertad, a massive indoor marked. Three stories high, countless little pathways and shops, it's hard to find an exit.
    [​IMG]

So many churches in Mexico.. All elaborately decorated. Must have cost a fortune back then. And probably still does, to maintain it all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

La Minerva, shame about the rain but I should've know by now that it is imminent in the afternoon.
    [​IMG]

More lunch, just over 2 dollars including an Agua fresca. Not the healthiest of options but very tasty.
    [​IMG]

Spend the afternoon reading on the balcony of the hostel. Always great to see people go their way invisible from above.
    [​IMG]

Monday came around and together we had a great day. We talked a lot, walked a lot and visited some cool places. One of those was a bookshop owned by an older American. Who had ridden his motorcycle down to Guadalajara many years ago and never left, oh the irony. Not only was Gaby really beautiful, funny, smart and a bit of a rebel. I learned that she is also very ambitious as a photographer and artist. In the afternoon she had to leave for French classes so we said goodbye I and went back to my hostel. Sometimes, not often, you come across someone that you really connect with. This was definitely the case now, as she made me doubt the whole trip.. I was already thinking of ways to extend my stay here, maybe do Spanish classes here instead of Guatemala or Colombia. Maybe find a job here, or volunteer in a hostel. Alright.. Calm down, you've only seen here twice now. Don't be a fool. We made plans to meet on Wednesday (so I booked another two nights).
    [​IMG]

In the evening I met up with Sparta and Sebastian for some beers, they had just arrived in Guadalajara. Of course I told them everything, they laughed. It was a great night, like catching up with old friends.
    [​IMG]

We also tried the vegan street food, hotdogs, hamburgers and tacos. I can't recommend them..
    [​IMG]

Tuesday I visited Chapala, I think this town has the largest population of Canadians and Americans in Mexico. Many retired people living here. Not surprising as you can live pretty well here for little money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sparta and Seb asked if I wanted to join them to the Lucha Libre show in the evening. I'm not a big fan of wrestling and probably wouldn't have gone alone if it wasn't for them asking me. And I have to say, it was brilliant! I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course the wrestling is a show, but the crowd makes the experience so much better. There was a band playing and whole groups shouting funny insulting things to each other, wrestlers included. The whole atmosphere was great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We finished with a beer in a Karaoke gay bar, it was as bad as it sounds..
    [​IMG]

Guadalajara by night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stubanger, Cloud-9, MYUMPH and 10 others like this.
  4. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's it! I'm getting a 250...had no idea they were such chick magnets..I mean, it must be the bike, right? :D
  5. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Wednesday we went out for lunch again. Afterwards Gaby suggested we visit one of Guadalajaras oldest cemeteries. Once there entry was only possible with a guided tour. But Gaby asked the security guard nicely and we were allowed in for a quick look around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She wanted to try and draw a portrait of me, even though she had never made a portrait before. So we went to her place and she got out her pencils and started on a paper version of me. Somehow we ran out of time and she had to hurry for French classes again, through the pouring rain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I realized that at one point in the near future I had to leave. I could spend another month (or more) in Guadalajara but I came here with a goal in mind. I'm riding to South America, to Ushuaia. I have to do this trip and can always come back afterwards. It was a hard decision, I didn't feel like leaving but it had to be done (and there was this Darien Gap crossing I booked). But first we had a portrait to finish! So Thursday we met again, this time in the park.
    [​IMG]

These are the graphics she normally creates, very different from a portrait.
    [​IMG]

After some more hours of talking and looking at each other very seriously, I was finished :) After a while French classes were calling again and it was time to say goodbye, this time it was for real. Which was very difficult! I'm not sure if we'll ever cross paths again, I hope we do. Because she made my time in Guadalajara unforgettable.
    [​IMG]

After saying goodbye in the afternoon I walked around some more, but it felt different, it was time to leave. I went to grab a beer at one of the bars where people come to just dance, and for one last time enjoyed watching them. That is one of the things I love about Mexico. In the afternoon they'll go to a bar to dance, not to get drunk or listen to loud music (like I'm used to) but just because they love dancing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the morning I reluctantly packed my bags, got on my bike, found a florist, bought a red rose, weaved it between the iron bars of her front door and got on my way to Guanajuato. Which is an awesome city, with all its beautiful buildings above ground and roads hidden under the surface.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to find the route to a hostel, damn there are some narrow, steep alleys.
    [​IMG]

Nope.. Not this way.
    [​IMG]

Found a hostel in the centre and they had secure parking around the back. Only one catch, it was up this alley, with a streetlight right in the middle (and then through a door). But made it without to much hassle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GISdood, roadcapDen, Pete S and 8 others like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try parking your GS 1200 up that alley!
    AttilaR and Joris van O like this.