North to South America on a Honda 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this one! Have read your previous 3 ride reports,quality stuff! Thanks for taking the time to take us along with you. I also have a 92 250 nighthawk that's just ticked over 50k that I'm planning a big trip around Australia on,might check that crank seal!
    Joris van O and Cal like this.
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    The Elite is 124cc 4 stroke liquid cooled, got it for a song as the bystarter is not working properly, still have the other bikes..

Looking forward to the next "back on the road post" AND the donor engine install story.
  3. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I await the arrival of the replacement motor today I might as well catch up with the report. Because of all the riding, meeting cool people and doing fun stuff there wasn't much time to upload pictures or type away on this annoyingly small keyboard on my phone.

So.. Back to when I left Dave's place in Calgary. That's almost a month ago now, two months on the road in total..

From Calgary I followed the 1A to Cochrane and continued to Canmore, where you're spit out on the Trans Canada Highway. Quick stop for groceries in Banff and a little further I jump back on the 1A or Bow Valley Parkway. Much better ride than the TCH! I stopped at the Johnson Creek Valley which is a beautiful walk along the raging river to numerous waterfalls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first time camping in these National Parks I learned that every campground fills up early in the afternoon. I managed to grab the last free spot, only to be met by a disappointed German family in a big RV also looking for a spot. So we shared! They invited me over to have dinner with them, and breakfast the next morning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was up early and on my way to Lake Louise to stay ahead of the busloads of tourists. The day couldn't be better, blue skies, warm and a little breeze.
    [​IMG]

Lake Louise is busy, but most people don't go any further than the lakeside hotel. So once you walk for a couple of minutes the crowds disappear and for the most part I was hiking by myself. I wanted to follow the path up to the snowline, and once I had made my way up there through different patches of snow I had a beautiful view of the valley while grabbing a bite to eat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I climbed up on the rocks until it got to steep, nice place to just sit back and enjoy the view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back down I took a different route, again beautiful vistas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waiting for a bear to pop out on the trail.. Didn't happen luckily!
    [​IMG]

One last look at this insanely beautiful place before I jump back on the bike to go see more places like this.
    [​IMG]

Like for example Moraine Lake.. Oh and I found a Leatherman on the road to this lake, thank you whoever donated it. I've used it a couple times already.
    [​IMG]

In the evening I again got the last site and shared it with to cool German guys in their Landrover. They also shared their food with me, I like these Germans! I learned that you always have to check the dates on the reservation notes that people use to mark a site. Most people don't take the note down when they leave, so it looks like the spot is occupied.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that last food photo, did you use the bear spray for a little extra pepper on the rice?
    td63, Project Mayhem, Hogges and 2 others like this.
  5. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m glad you had a sunny day for Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, you deserve it after your engine loss.
  6. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures! I also like your lapel pin:photog
  7. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Hahah, might be a bit to spicy..

Thanks! Unfortunately the pin is now somewhere on the Dempster, the stickers are still on the bike though :-)
    roadcapDen likes this.
  8. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Yesterday the motor arrived! Yaaash, finally I can get this thing back on the road.
    [​IMG]

Went to home depot and made a clutch nut tool
    [​IMG]

New(er) motor ready to go in
    [​IMG]

Got the old one out, and the new one in. Had to wait for parts that I ordered at the dealership here in PG. I picked up the parts (seals and gaskets) today.
    [​IMG]

New parts and a new battery as the old one somehow wouldn't hold charge anymore.
    [​IMG]

Put everything back together, filled up the oil and hit the starter. Ooh man.. What a sweet sound! I let it run for a while and then went for a short loop around the garden. Still good, so I pit on my gear and rode to the gas station in town.
    [​IMG]

Fueled up, I look down and there are some drops of oil.. Faaaack, not again. Rode it back slowly and right back into the shed to check what's wrong. The seal was still in place so I thought it might be some oil residue running out now its warmed up. Closed it all up and went for another test run.
    [​IMG]

Ran fine, no oil leaks after a couple of minutes. I go for a bigger round and my rpm meter stops working, weird.. Maybe the cable snapped due to the work. Then I hear I loud squeal, nooo.. Turn that thing off. Push it back 2 miles to GISdood's place and back into the shed to see what's wrong.
    [​IMG]

The nut holding the gear driving the oil pump (and rpm meter) came undone and started grinding away at the aluminum clutch basket. Should have checked it but I didn't, can only blame myself. Metal flakes everywhere... No no no, not again... I cleaned it all up, flushed it a couple of times with gas and oil and it seems to be okay-ish. Put it all back together with fresh oil, ran it for a bit and drained again. Put a new batch of fresh oil in ran it again and gonna drain that tomorrow and see from there.
    [​IMG]

I really have no clue as what to do now.. I was happy that is was running again but it's still dripping oil, it's not in the best shape and I don't trust it making it all the way down. Not sure if I want to keep it at this point really.

I think I'll just run it and keep topping up the oil and try to make my way down into the US until the wheels fall off. And start looking for a different bike on the westcoast. Preferably a DR650 or other 650 (klr, gs), something smaller would also be alright.
  9. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn Joris that suks! Hopefully it will hold together until you can get another bike.
    Joris van O likes this.
  10. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bugga! What a rollercoaster of an update,fingers crossed she holds together!
    Joris van O likes this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

This company is located in the Salt Lake City area. They probably have an air cooled engine kit in stock. The owner of the company is an inmate and posts in the Thumpers and Vendors sections.

https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10&product_id=77

It might be a bit of a project to make the motor mounts line up, possibly making it not worthwhile. The bonus is the further south you go, the more common this motor will be.
    Joris van O and MYUMPH like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty freakin sweet deal there!
    Joris van O likes this.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a great deal for a complete motor kit.
    Joris van O and MYUMPH like this.
  14. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So sorry about the ongoing engine problem. Used bikes are plentiful and cheap in most parts of the US, so if you can make it to a more populated area it might be a good idea to cut your losses and just switch bikes.
    Joris van O, td63 and Old Codger like this.
  15. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you get back on the road soon. If by chance you make it to Los Angeles...look me up if you need a place to stay.
    Joris van O likes this.
  16. roadcapDen

Oddometer:
    Darn, leaking from the seal again?
    Use donor clutch basket (if needed) from old"er" engine?
    Good luck, again...You're heading south so it's downhill right?!
    Joris van O and mb300 like this.
  17. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joris van O likes this.
  18. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you are able to get your bike sorted out. If you get a 650 then you have to change the name of this thread, which would be a bummer. I really like 250cc long distance touring reports. Good luck.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joris I have a 250 Super Sherpa fully kitted out here in Calgary, you saw it in Nelson, may be willing to let it go.
    Joris van O, wee-twin, td63 and 3 others like this.
  20. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure an update is coming soon, as his Spot tracker shows him waiting for the ferry to Vancouver Island this afternoon, but Joris was back on the road south from my place in PG by noon on Thursday. I rode with him for a while to make sure the little Nighthawk was going to keep moving without puking its oil out again right away, and then we parted ways in Hixon. He passed by me when I stopped for fuel and food, then I overtook him again just south of Quesnel.

I received a message from him Thursday evening that he'd arrived at the campground in Lillooet and the bike had held up well - even though his trust level in the little 250 was low, but slowly building again ;)

P1070915.JPG