North to South America on a Honda 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Joris van O likes this.
  2. Viper7

Viper7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great RR. I'm glad you are back on the road. We will be back in the Portland Oregon area on July 22nd. If you are still in the area and need food, tools or shelter let me know. Stay safe and as dry as possible.
    Joris van O likes this.
  3. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joris van O likes this.
  4. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, updates are lacking.. Sorry about that :)

So yeah, I'm on the road again! The bike is running, not perfect, but it's running. It vibrates a bit more than it used to do and then there's that pesky small oil leak, but it's hardly noticeable. Oh and the fork seals are leaking too. And when I tried to start it after sitting four days on the streets of Vancouver the battery was flat, so I changed the regulator while waiting for the ferry and I think that fixed it.

I was so glad that I was welcome to stay at GISdood's place to fix the bike issues but after 10 days it felt good to be back on the road again. At first a bit anxious, expecting to brake down any moment. Listening to all the rattles and squeaks. But it kept running, oil level remained the same, all was good.
    [​IMG]

At Hixton GISdood upped the pace to be in time for a friends party. I continued on my own at a slower pace. I kept going all the way to Lillooet, and slowly gained some confidence in this little machine. And even better, I was able to enjoy the scenery again. Such a beautiful road, the 99 or Sea to Sky highway from Cache Creek.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the campsite in Lillooet I continued to Vancouver stopping along the way for a hike at the Joffre Lakes Provincial Park. It has been a while since I walked somewhere so it was really good. Mentally as well, to get my mind off all the bike troubles from the last two weeks. After all, a bike is only a means to get to all these beautiful places.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Whistler on it gets really busy, definitely getting close to a big city. And a lot of tourists too.
    [​IMG]

And then, traffic! That was until I found out that motorcyclists can use the bus lanes in Vancouver.
    [​IMG]

I had sent a couple of contacts messages if I could pitch my tent at their place but it didn't work out. So my last resort was a cheap hostel I found online. I expected it to be full but no, they had a bed for me. I was a bit shocked when I first walked in so decided to stay only one night. It wasn't very clean or new haha, and the people staying there were mostly seasonal workers (Mexicans, Japanese, French, you name it). But after talking to some guys and making some plans for the next day I decided that another night wouldn't hurt. And I'm not in a hurry anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day we went for a walk through the city, stopping for lunch at a community centre. They had found out that it was really cheap there, I did feel a bit out of place but that might be just me.
    [​IMG]

Vancouver is really cool, I understand why so many people come here. It has good weather, mountains, nature, sea and beaches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the hostel there was also a German girl, she was one of the few that actually traveled instead of working all day and we got along well so in the evening we went to English Bay beach to watch the sunset and eat some slices of pizza.
    [​IMG]

I extended my stay for another day and we met again the next morning to go to Granville Island and Kitsilano Beach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a volleyball tournament going on at Kitsilano so we grabbed some beers and watched for an hour or two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At night they displayed the Truman Show in the park next to the hostel. Never saw the movie before, again a great day.
    [​IMG]

I extended leaving another day to go see Stanley Park and rent a couple of SUP boards in the afternoon. The trees in the park were huge, and it is definitely a different climate here. Much more lush green vegetation, rain forest like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mondays the rent was half price for a board. I had never done it before but really enjoyed it, it's a good workout to paddle against the wind and swell.
    [​IMG]

As it was my last night in Vancouver (yes.. It was hard to leave, but the road calls!) we went out for dinner at a really good fish restaurant and then watched the sunset again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jcmcc, Kiwi Canuck, Oznay and 19 others like this.
  5. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    I'll do, thanks! Might take a couple of weeks before I get there though.

Ha, good one! Yeah let's try to not change the title (yet).

That's one sweet machine, I definitely like it. But so far my own bike is running so let's see how far I can get this time. Thanks for the offer Cal :)

I'll be there in a week or two if all goes well. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I get close!
    Oznay likes this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    super update Joris
    Joris van O likes this.
  7. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :feelgoodCute girl Joris! I believe I'd be going wherever she goes!
  8. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Hahah.. For the record, nothing happened :)

:hide
    Oznay, Astrid - Woerden, td63 and 2 others like this.
  9. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Everything happens for a reason. Bike troubles = hanging out with with a beautiful girl at the beach!
    Great trip, enjoy the ride.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you rented a SUP.
    During our long cold winters here in Canada I build cedar SUP.s SAM_1641.JPG SAM_1643.JPG SAM_1644.JPG SAM_1645.JPG 20180815_141146.jpg
  11. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't the Hawaiian King make those a couple of hundred years ago?
    Joris van O likes this.
  12. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Oh wauw! Those boards look awesome Cal, what a work of art :)
    Oznay likes this.
  13. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Quick update!

I'm sitting at the Victoria Harbour front waiting to board the ferry to Port Angeles in the US. I'm a bit excited, hopefully they'll let me in. A new country and new adventures await once I disembark from this ferry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up my DuoLingo Spanish classes too. The moment I'm leaving the English speaking countries behind is creeping closer and closer.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duolingo is good. Lots of great towns for Spanish classes when you get south to Mexico and Guatemala. If you enroll for classes choose a home stay in a town with little English. Lots of people learn in Antigua Guate. but there is to much English spoken there to be immersed , a better choice would be Quetzaltenango (Xela) Guate.
  15. NoDad

NoDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Joris. It's Hans, I finally found your RR. Hope you still have my phone number as there is a room ready for you and some cold beer in the fridge.

Here you are at Mile 0.
    [​IMG]
  16. NoDad

NoDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I posted the previous post I had just found your RR. Just finished reading it now. Wow, you've had some adventure. Hopefully the motor is figured out. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Feel free to use my address to ship stuff to if you need to. I pm'd the address to you.
    Oznay and Joris van O like this.
  17. mb300

mb300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sofa, laundry, beers, and tools in Huntington Beach; just give me a few days notice before you arrive, as I frequently travel for work.
    Oznay and Joris van O like this.
  18. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report!! Thanks for taking the time and energy to keep it going! Ah but that young lady was so pretty! You must have a piece of Ed's "magic string" somewhere on your person!! Looking forward to the next "chapter" of your journey, and hoping the bike keeps running!
    roadcapDen and Joris van O like this.
  19. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember your RR on the AT's to Capetown. Wishing you the best of luck on this trip and I will be following along.
    Joris van O and Chafer like this.
  20. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    I'm again far behind with updates.. Boy is it hard to find the time to write something. There's just to much to see and to do (still have to get to the whole Yukon/d2d/Dempster part). I can tell you that I'm in San Francisco right know and the next couple of weeks are going to be awesome! My brother just flew in from the Netherlands and is renting a bike to ride with me for a few weeks. Whooo, so glad to see him again after almost three months!!

So yeah, from Vancouver I rode back to Horseshoe Bay to get on the ferry to Vancouver Island. When I tried to start the bike in the morning the battery was flat, meh.. Luckily push starting is easy (later found out it was a relais drawing power). Lots of bikes waiting for the ferry, chatted with a guy named Red who lives in the Island.
    [​IMG]

On the ferry, no straps.. Just some wooden blocks to keep your bike upright.
    [​IMG]

The ferryride to Nanaimo was very pleasant, no swell at all. And some nice scenery to look at.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Nanaimo I rode straight to Tofino to be there early and hopefully find a camping spot. Saw lots of signs saying 'full'. The signs directing to Bella Pacifica didn't say full though, so I turned of the main road and went to check it out. After 100 meters I thought I reached the entrance but there weren't any camping signs, just some painted objects. I rode in and there were some people hanging out at an old VW bus transformed into an office. I asked if this was a campground and if I could stay for one or two nights. Of course, pitch anywhere you want! And if you need anything, marihuana or mushrooms just come to the van.. We got loads.

Apparently I stumbled upon a hippie community. That's alright with me, nice and friendly folks there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made a fire on the beach that evening but got rained out after a couple of hours. I ran back to the campground with one of the girls while she was riding her longboard. She invited me into her campervan for some late night food , which I couldn't resist obviously. After the food I wished her good night and went back to my own tent.
    [​IMG]

The next day I hiked along the multiple beaches into Tofino, spend a couple of hours there and walked back via the Botanical Gardens. The forest there are incredible, like a true rainforest. Sometimes the trail was completely covered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Botanical Gardens were pretty cool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tofino is just a little tourist town mostly aimed at surfing or whale watching. It is ok for an afternoon though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the evening there was karaoke in the local legion establishment. Which was fun :)
    [​IMG]

The last stop in before heading into the US was Victoria. Coming from Tofino that means you ride through Cathedral Grove. That was my first encounter with those big massive trees they have here on the west coast. California and Oregon are known for their Redwoods or Sequoias but Canada has them too. The highest one measured 76 meters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After gazing at the threes it was a not to interesting ride into Victoria. Checked in into Turtle Hostel for two nights and did some laundry. Made some pasta and went for a walk into town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I arrived I noticed that there were lots of old classic cars around. A quick Google search told me that there was an event going on that weekend called 'Duece Days'. About 1400 cars from all over Canada and the US were attending the event. The whole weekend they were cruising the streets and every day they gathered around the harbourfront. Some insanely beautiful builds!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swapped the motor for a V16 (from a Lincoln or Cadillac?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The German girl I met in Vancouver was still around and she decided to take the ferry and visit Victoria the next day. I met here in port, we walked around the city and grabbed some cold brews at one of the many craft breweries around. Trying to find a nice place with a view took a while but eventually we settled for a spot on the rocks overlooking the bay. Watching all the boats and seaplanes come and go. It was good to see her again but she had to go back to Vancouver in the evening so we said goodbye. Maybe our paths cross in the future and we'll meet again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a nice end to my time in Canada, the next day I boarded the ferry to Port Angeles. Onto a new country and new adventures! Bought a stubby holder with my last Canadian dollars..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bye Canada, you did me well! Thanks for all the great memories :)
    [​IMG]