Northbound: My first long ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Grouchyboat, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Grouchyboat

Grouchyboat n00b

Oddometer:
    Day 0:

Well, as the title says, this is my first long distance trip, as well as my first ride report.
    First off, I'm Aaron. I'm a broke(all my money goes to bikes) college student from Indiana. I've been riding ATVs since I was 9. I got into motorcycles about 3 years ago when I picked up a cheap, beatup, and abused DR350. As soon as I rode it I was hooked. I rode that bike on every dirt road in Indiana. Fast forward a year and a half and now I have a DR650 and a YZ450f enduro/supermoto project.
    Now the trip. For a while now, a lifelong friend of mine have wanted to take a long trip on our bikes. Sadly he isn't into ADV and will be riding a Harley Dyna, so not much dirt on this trip. We decided on eastern Canada as our destination. It's easily rid-able in our 9 day time limit, giving us plenty of time to explore. We plan on camping at and exploring state parks along the way.
    The last 2 weeks have been a crazy getting the DR650 sorted for the 2500 mile trip. The DR has been a wonderful bike in my year and a half of owning it. She is a 2002, and I'm the second owner. The first owner mainly used her for trail riding in Michigan, racking up 13k miles. Thankfully he fixed the NSU, base gasket, and the countershaft seal. I've put almost 7000 miles on it since buying it. Its been on plenty of weekend long, several hundred mile trips and has never let me down. She was in desperate need of maintenance before this long of a trip. After 2 weeks of rush ordering parts and late night installs I finally feel shes ready. I'll be using Pelican/Caribou 25L cases and tusk racks that I scavenged off of Facebook. My topbag is a Nelson Rigg 30l dry duffel.
    [​IMG]
    Here she is, loaded up for the final test ride. We are leaving tomorrow.

I will be updating the thread every night. As this is my first RR, I'm open to suggestions as to how I can make it better.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Attached Files:

bobw and mADVta like this.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    A DR and a Dyna, should be a good trip ;-)
    bobw likes this.
  3. mADVta

mADVta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never been to Canada... I'm in :ricky Waiting for updates :lurk
  4. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Grouchyboat

Grouchyboat n00b

Oddometer:
    Day 1:

Day one was a success. We left home after work and got in a short 3 hours before stopping to setup camp. We decided to camp at Buck Creek State Park in Ohio. It's a great park and the lake is awesome. We are hoping to get up early tomorrow and make it to Niagara Falls.

IMG_0446.jpeg
    All loaded up
    MVIMG_20190712_175643.jpg
    I need a bigger gas tank. 100ish miles isn't cutting it.
    IMG_20190712_192829.jpg
    We had a great campsite.
    IMG_20190712_201955.jpg IMG_20190712_212255.jpg
    The lake is absolutely beautiful.
    mADVta, edgeoftheworld, bobw and 2 others like this.