NorthEast Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by outbacktaz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Outback!
    Cool about the flag thing!:clap LLB didn't seem to have anything going on for Canada day.:huhEven the fireworks were cancelled due to the fire ban.Lots of smoke here and looks like the OCT is going up in flames again! Glad the Nephew and I travelled it a couple of weeks ago. We need RAIN bad!!

Grump....Is there a recommendation for off pavement pressures? Don't know if you have seen this thread.....Ideal tires for the SuperTen

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926299

JJ
  2. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, seen the thread. It was the reason why I went with the tires.That and I wanted to get rid of the K60 frt tire howl. Owners manual has 2 pressure setting, < 198 lbs or >198 lbs

I think the tires are good, I believe there is something about the bike which is making handle odd. Riding the other tenere in Dawson convinced me the tire and bike combo is good.

I have a set of K-60s ( frt and rr) that I may spoon on. I know how they handle. If I can't get it figured out in the next while......
  3. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    3 minutes from a KTM dealership, Angus, On
    Greg, did you have to share the eye candy with BA as well?? :rofl
  4. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    Too bad you're not closer to me, I've been getting good in the suspension dept... Plus, there's a Racetech shop a stone throw away from my place!!
  5. clubred

clubred Noise_Midget

Oddometer:
    :clapNew boots on my girl, new chain, another oil change (a touch early but by day two of my Vaca would have been due again), most of the science experiments involving copious dead insectoids gone. Now to start packing for three weeks of adventure. Hopefully the smoke will ease up for the next few days, was stuck inside for the last two...
  6. grumpybear

Oddometer:

Yup, she likes old cars and big trucks too....LOL
  7. grumpybear

Oddometer:

Hope fully you can get out before the cold front comes down from the north and pushes the smoke even further south. Have a safe trip.
  8. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Played with the Tenere some more regarding the handling.

Bought a new tire pressure gauge, with in 1 psi of each other. Was talking to an old MX racer on the weekend, he suggested loosen off the bolts holding the tubes in the tree and then tighten up again. This seemed to help a lot. Slow speed maneuvers feel much better and took a 5 mike test on loose gravel. It handled very well in the gravel standing or sitting. Going to start playing with adding panniers and top box and see what changes.
  9. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    Greg, I don't know how the top case attaches on the Super Ten, but on my Pumpkin, it has about 3 inches of play sidewise... And that can cause a head shake when decelerating at speed... Check it out!
  10. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    A word of warning for all the folks in the area. Recent changes in Federal law means that the Military Police can no longer issue traffic infractions with an Alberta ticketbook. This means a mandatory appearance in court to plead guilty or innocent. no more just paying the fine but instead kill a day in court to do it. So spread the word to those that you know travel the base to be a little more observant of the rules while on the base.
  11. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up!
  12. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone in doing any riding this weekend? Greg? I would be interested in getting together.:y0!
    Regards....just jeff
    outbacktaz likes this.
  13. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be in the city Saturday. Might be able to ride Sunday/Monday. The DRz does need a workout.
  14. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, let's go ride the Ridge!! If you're up to it... LoL :ksteve
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be a little far to go for a weekend trip Marty!
    JJ
    outbacktaz likes this.
  16. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff, how far are you riding the Cross Canada Trail? You still on it?
  17. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After scouting out the Northern section of the Conklin Trail last fall I finally got to complete the whole run. I've complied some highlights captured by my riding buddy and myself on our helmet cams. It was a blast to ride, Northeastern Alberta mud sure is slick!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had lots of fun.
  19. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video dirt2oil!
    When did you do this ride?
    My Brother came for a visit two weekends ago. He has never done any dualsport riding before so I thought the Old Conklin Trail would be a good initiation for him. Teeheehee!!! The road from the South end to Steepbanks was beautiful with the sand being firm packed and damp from the recent rains. From Wappau Lake North it was rutted and muddy but drier than in your video. There was usually a packed line through the ruts but you had to look for it. We left my house at 10am and got back at 530pm traveling North on OCT then returning South on 881. Many hunters were out on the trail.

DSCF0426.JPG DSCF0437.JPG DSCF0440.JPG
  20. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just jeff that would be quite the initiation "Teeheehee" is right. We did the ride Sept 17 & 18th. Departed the Fort at 7:30 and had breakfast in Conklin to warm up. We got on the trail around 10:30 and stopped at the Serengeti around 3:00 for the night. Only hunter we saw was the guy who stopped as we were packing up camp, perhaps that was a result of it being week days. My conclusion of the trail is no matter the conditions, dry or wet, your riding skills are going to improve. The rain compacts the sand on the southern section and makes the northern section very slick. In dry conditions the northern section would be hard packed good running and the sand more of a challenge. Looking forward to doing it again next year.