1. eNewsletter Sign Up

NorthEast Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by outbacktaz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Phloid

Phloid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm never too far away from this forum. Looking forward to getting out a little more this year. Hey outbacktaz, I'm retiring from the DND on 27 May. I'm finding my retirement slump isn't a whole lot different than the general bad attitude I've had the past couple years. Call me at CSN 528-5985 sometime if you ever want to chat.
  2. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    3 minutes from a KTM dealership, Angus, On
    Hey Phloid, Congrats Brother!! I'm in Borden now. Might make for a nice ride if you ever wanna visit! LoL
  3. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats Phloid. I am looking forward to the day I follow you out the door.

The Canadian Veterans MC club in Cold Lake is having a Blessing of the Bikes event on Sunday May 15, 2:30 at the Cold Lake energy center. We are hoping for a lot of bikes and some media attention. Primary goal is to get the local drivers to clue in that it is spring and time to watch for motorcycles.
    The Padre doing the blessing wants to ride and has roped my friend (the event organizer) into teaching him.
    Could be a nice time to meet a few riders old and new to the area, see some nice bikes and maybe a ride after.
    outbacktaz likes this.
  4. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put the date on my calendar, hope to see you there.
  5. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still on here and up in Fort McMurray as well. Maybe see you around when the snow and ice is gone.
  6. Phloid

Phloid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hmmmm.... I need to put some miles on my cruiser. I might have to head up to my old stomping grounds that weekend.
  7. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the snow will be gone by then! We still have 16+" in the fields although the roads are bare and dry. I noticed Whitehorse has nicer weather forecast than we do!
  8. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renewed the plates on all 4 bikes and then got the 400 out for a ride today at a balmy 9 degrees. Forecast for the next couple weeks between 2 and 4. Wouldn't want the snow to melt to fast now would we.
  9. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent the afternoon dealing with the flood in my garage. Might be able to get a bike out in a week or two....
    JJ
  10. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Red Deer and work at Horizon Oilsands north of Fort MacKay (north of Fort McMurray). I am thinking of taking the Super Tenere up there this summer instead of flying in so I can check out the area. How's the riding around there for a heavy adv tourer?
  11. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Spaggy, we have lots of gravel back roads and oil sealed roads in the area. I've got the same bike as you and have lots of fun in the area. Are you looking at making it part of the trip up to work or for a day or two in the area? I can get you from Myrnam up to Lac la Biche on back roads.

The old Conklin trail, depending on the weather, might be doable. justjeff would be local guy to check with on the conditions there. Rode it a couple years ago on a Vstrom...wrong bike for the conditions.

As the timing gets closer, I'm sure we can figure out a good route.
  12. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of riding up for work and maybe going for an hour or 2 after work and possibly an extra day or 2 after my work set. How far north of Ft. Mac does the road go? I've never been there in a vehicle before.
  13. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Not sure what is north of Ft Mac. I worked in the area in the last 70's and many changes since then. I'm more familiar with the areas Conklin and south. Hopefully a local Ft Mac rider can provide that information.
  14. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    blessing.jpg

Here is the poster for the blessing of the bikes on May 15. The padre doing the blessing is a new rider (750 honda shadow).
    Hoping for a good time, fingers crossed for good weather.
    The local car club is thinking about showing up as well so it should be a nice parking lot to wander around in.
    I am going to try getting some copies of the poster and post them in Bonnyville this weekend.
  15. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.
  16. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are with all you guys effected by the fires. Sent a donation to the Red Cross, don't know what else to do.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    positive thoughts forwarded from the south. i happened to go through Slave Lake right after the wildland fire ripped through there. people said it happened so fast there wasn't time to prepare.
  18. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks jdrocks and Spaggy,
    I am far enough South that things are OK for me but Dirt2Oil might be in trouble.
    Sending good thoughts to any inmates in FortMac area. If anyone needs help don't be afraid to shout out.
    Regards....just jeff
  19. Phloid

Phloid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed up to Cold Lake to try out the new V-Strom on it's first overnight ride. Thanks grumpybear for lunch and the tour of my old party haunts.

Blessing of the Bikes, from left to right; grumpybear, wos, mikocan and Phloid
    notably absent; every other dual sport rider
    notably present; leather, lace and chrome

[​IMG]
    outbacktaz likes this.
  20. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was nice to finally meet you guys.
    It was too bad the lace was on the wrong sex but in today's society we are not supposed to complain.
    Not a bad show out overall, 65 bikes, $240 raised for the benevolent fund and some good PR should be heading our way in the local papers.
    I didn't expect to many of the non-chrome riders to show up to an event like this. Next year we are thinking of throwing in a food truck and maybe a group ride depending on the insurance requirements. I suggested a "points of interest" ride. go with your own group and see the sights of Cold Lake, including a couple off road points to get the knobby crowd out. A few knobby wearing bikes did show up after everyone was gone and we were cleaning up. Probably out having too much fun to come on time.
    outbacktaz likes this.