Northeast Illinois Gravel Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Monty_Burns, Sep 5, 2011.

1. matthaiduk

matthaiduk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talked to @Three Crates earlier today. Going to keep an eye on both weather and the mood of my "very pregnant" wife, but possibly ride again on Saturday. Official baptism into the Woodlawn ADV Riders will hopefully take place at Steward Creek for anybody interested in going along.

[​IMG]
    AronW and Three Crates like this.
  2. AronW

AronW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I joined that group but haven't done any rides with them yet. Most of their rides seem kinda gnarly for my VStrom and better suited for a smaller dual sport
  3. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Current forecast for tomorrow... isn't the awesomest. We like to ride, though.

If anybody else is possibly interested, post here and I'll keep with the updates. If not I'll take it to text with @Three Crates so people subscribed to the thread don't get needless notifications.
    Three Crates likes this.
  4. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be snowing this weekend. Let's try again? How about Sunday?

@Three Crates tells me that I may be riding in the missing man formation. If anybody is interested in going out on the gravel and dirt, let me know.
    dirtridr5115 likes this.
  5. dirtridr5115

dirtridr5115 dirtridr5115

Oddometer:
    I live in north west Ohio. Always looking for new dirt/gravel roads.. how was the ride in April? Care to share the tracks? .gpx
  6. matthaiduk

Oddometer:

You want gpx tracks for Illinois? (Thats where this is... N.e. Illinois). If thats the case, I have a few of them
  7. dirtridr5115

Oddometer:
    I googled it. That’s about 5 hours-ish from my place. So depends on when/where you wanna ride...
  8. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    We'll officially be riding Sunday morning from Fresh Donuts. Our route will cover the absolute best mountains, river gorges, and old-growth forests that N.E. has to offer. And since there is zero of that here, we'll hit some cool out-of-the-way spots that you likely won't see on a map.
  9. dirtridr5115

Oddometer:
    I’ll defiantly put it on my summer todos. But for his weekend I think I’m gonna stay a little closer to home and ride at Wayne instead. Thanks for the details! Definitely be interested with more of a lead time before the ride!
    matthaiduk likes this.
  10. AronW

AronW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weekends are hard for me with work, but if I have a couple weeks notice I can use some PTO and get out. That's a little easier said than done this time of year with unpredictable weather, but shouldnt be an issue during the warmer months
    matthaiduk likes this.
  11. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    I don't want this to sound discouraging

-but-

In the time it would take you to get here and ride, you could be in Northern Michigan or Western Kentucky (or, even, other parts of Ohio) that are legitimately fun places to ride. N.E. Illinois is, without exaggeration, the most boring place to ride (unless you _really_ love hours of a corn-speckled horizon with no hills, twists, or trees in site). Having said that, we'd love to have you out for a ride, and post up if you ever can make it!
  12. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Before it's all over I'll get out during the week and let you know!
    AronW likes this.
  13. dirtridr5115

Oddometer:
    I'm out of Findlay Ohio so its a lot of flat farm field country around here as well. I'm trucking down to Zanesville tomorrow and going to ride there and around on the twisty mountain roads. Planning of riding the Wayne trail system as well.

Should have my gopro with me on the trip I'll send updates.

Having that said you guys are welcome out this way for some riding. I'm originally from East PA near the Poconos but i've done a lot of riding in North West PA (Allegheny SF area)..
    Three Crates likes this.
  14. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Uh, careful with this stuff because @Three Crates is the kind of guy might just show up at your house tomorrow. (I would too, but my wife claims she's pregnant and it's kinda killing my ability to have fun right now).
    dirtridr5115 and Three Crates like this.
  15. dirtridr5115

Oddometer:
    I could be trolling myself haha.
  16. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please keep me in the loop I would love to ride? 2003 Klr Familiar with the area there looks like fun? I saw this Too late this am. Thanks
    matthaiduk likes this.
  17. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Was a great ride. I'll post up next time I know I can get out for more than an hour or two.

We'll throw up some pics and something in the nature of a ride report later. Here are a couple pics, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode to Elburn on the Road King to Reams meat market for steaks. Great day
    matthaiduk likes this.
  19. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Love that place. We took 38 back through Elburn... you might have seen us depending on when you were there.
  20. matthaiduk

Oddometer:
    Three Crates likes this.