Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. seanpaulpizza

seanpaulpizza Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woof. Lots of tl;dr on that last page but when I said "haul ass" I definitely did not mean to ride beyond recklessly/unsafely. More of get up early and stay on the bike as much as possible type of riding day. I was more alluding to the terrain of the route - is it wide straight gravel roads or twisty single lane (like the Honeymoon Trail)? Agreed most folks would like to stop often and early to enjoy the scenery but for those of us who live south with limited vacation time it's just a reality of making the most of MN summer vacations.
    Iffykid, Tiger993, bernuski and 2 others like this.
  2. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, we won't bring them home with us, they will still be there and in good condition when we leave. Thanks to all for sharing, if you ever visit the Black Hills hit me up, I will return the favor with some good tracks.
    bernuski and Tiger993 like this.
  3. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this on Facebook tonight!![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  4. award900

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yikes! Glad nobody was killed.

...Tourists.:dirtdog (...or more accurately, bad drivers on tour. They do let just anybody drive those things, after all.)
  6. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Rode past that reck yesterday when the fire department was in the process of putting out the flames...

Yikes!
    Lutz likes this.
  7. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After watching the wrecker pull that motorhome out the gorge and it catching on fire, went for a ride. Decided to take the Barker Lake Rd from Honeymoon Trail down to the Ski Hill Rd. Ran into some muddy spots along the way but nothing deep. Did knock the muffler off a couple of times on some tall rocks. About three minutes from the Ski Hill Rd, I tipped the bike over doing about 5mph. Left foot got trapped under the bike. I am not positive if the fall hurt the ankle and knee or the way I pulled it out from under the bike. I could stand and move but not lift the bike. Called Butch and he agreed to come out and help me lift the bike up. Made it out of the woods with the only new damage to the bike is that the seat trim is now loose. Made it home a little before ten pm.

[​IMG]

Lesson learned: Do not go two tracking with a 500# top heavy bike by yourself.

I am sore and swollen, and have a story and video to explain it all.

-Mark
    c-zulu, Lutz and MikeS like this.
  8. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Been on that muddy section on a 250cc moto, but not a big one. You need a riding partner for that, so you both can get stuck. Heal up!

I will admit to similar foolish decisions on my 650 BMW a few times, as I'm sure do others on this forum. I feel your pain.
    LeMaitre likes this.
  9. LeMaitre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words.

The panhead would be easier to lift. I actually find my GL1200A Goldwing easier to lift than the CB550F.

-Mark
  10. MikeS

Oddometer:
    I see these videos and demonstrations about lifting motos. They all have saddle bags, which makes it so much easier. When a mid sized moto tips over flat like yours is, it's really tough to get the lift started. Especially true when you have an extra fuel tank and are top heavy. I'd like to see a demonstration of lifting a moto from the flat position like yours is. I too can lift my big 1150RT and my 250 motos much easier than my 650. My 650 lays flat when tipped over.
    LeMaitre likes this.
  11. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a demo of a small woman picking up a Sportster lying flat but that was on pavement. Mud is a different story.
  12. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I had a fun late afternoon solo ride today. Did some minorly technical hillclimbing, some little league gravel pit jumps, a fair bit of rugged two track, plus a few warp speed pavement runs. I’m loving how well the CRF450X is working. Not a single picture today, but you can see it all in your mind’s eye, right? I did stop for a slice of pie at Betty’s before heading home to beat last light. Needed the nutrition.
    CJohn, LeMaitre and oldiron like this.
  13. oldiron

oldiron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear the X is up and running well again.
    Lutz likes this.
  14. award900

Oddometer:
    I spent last weekend exploring the shore. I finally accomplished getting to the Trail Center before 11:00 for a pancake! (Yep, I couldn't finish it) Thanks again to my campsite sponser in Little Marais![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

bernuski, seanpaulpizza, Lutz and 5 others like this.
  15. oldiron

oldiron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E9888E0E-72D4-458A-A53A-EE5D43C4DE9E.jpeg Feeling a little husky.
    seanpaulpizza, Lutz, LeMaitre and 2 others like this.
  16. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    New trails, new puddles..:evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice ride and pace today Lutz..:super

Nice digs Arrowhead rider ...
    Evil Santa, STRich, Lutz and 4 others like this.
  17. MikeS

Oddometer:
    Wife and I had a fun afternoon in Nolalu/Silver Mountain, Ontario area. Three small stream crossings with deep ravines and logs/boulder obstacles, plus a long beaver flooded road like CZ & Lutz pictured. After crossing with my moto, I had to get back to ride the wife's moto across the flooded road. Two perfectly timed ATV riders came the opposite way just as I got across. The only people we saw on the trails. I hitched a ride through the flooded road back to the wife's moto, and we rode two up. Water well above the pegs. Good day for motorcycling!
    Lutz and c-zulu like this.
  18. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yes, puddles...
    179FE56F-167C-4C7A-922D-ACF3C206BB2E.jpeg 36DED2D7-07FD-4D2C-8EAC-FCEDA34471D0.jpeg AFE9267C-5F05-4200-8B3B-BCDEC7652A5E.jpeg

Super fun day! A real mix of goodies. Great riding with ya, C-Z.
    Evil Santa, MikeS, STRich and 3 others like this.
  19. LeMaitre

Oddometer:
    Continuing to work on my Road-log videos while my ankle heals up. Here is a short run to Baker Lake.

-Mark
    MNimum likes this.
  20. arrowhead rider

arrowhead rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys found our spot. Ill let you know when the single track is ready!
    c-zulu and Lutz like this.