Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. wildknits

wildknits Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took advantage of the beautiful day falling on my day off to ride some gravel in the Two Harbors-Brimson area utilizing cue cards from a gravel bike race/ride I did a few weeks ago.

Nice mix of county roads, two track and old logging roads. Stopped by Donna Lake on the Drummond Grade for a snack and to enjoy the view.

IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0568.JPG
    c-zulu, 2WheelNeal, Klay and 3 others like this.
  2. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see a T Dub. I have a 2013 and it is pure fun. Have your tried different sprockets? I put one of those big ugly cheap seat pads from Amazon aa d it works great.
    wildknits likes this.
  3. wildknits

Oddometer:
    The TW is stock. Still getting to know it, and getting used to more "off the beaten track" travel. It is a lot of fun though, so much so my poor R65 sits unused (and is for sale for that reason).

I did note the bike got a little squirrelly on some of the looser/larger gravel at higher speeds and I thought I was going to tip over when I hit some greasy mud and the bike slipped sideways, but I managed to keep it upright and moving forward. So a new tire may be in my future (I hear the stock front tire is not the best). Even did my first water crossings yesterday (okay, they were really big puddles across the two track, but I did get wet boots from water splashing up).

Being fairly light weight (~ 120 lbs in full ATGATT mode + layers for insulation) the seat has worked fine for me so far with no extra padding. Plus it might just make it that much harder for me to touch the ground!
  4. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to get our for a ride yesterday too. 60f and sunny skies. Not much for color, except the smoky golden colored tamaraks and the beautiful blue lakes along Hwy 38.

I'm still hopeful for a warm November afternoon and a ride on some logging trails. Its a little tricky on the Vstrom 650 but since i done have a trail bike it has to do and i just needed to exercise a little caution.

There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    wildknits and SixtyMile like this.
  5. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried dropping the tire pressures off road. Mine is squirrely on the large rock ballast on our abandoned rail bed but solid on everything else maybe because I am 100 # heavier.
  6. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    D4D4BDB1-BC99-48C8-BFD6-C1B2A8D203C9.jpeg My kids went to their mom’s today. So I ran the chainsaw for a while, then it was playtime this afternoon. Still some snow to play in. It won’t be too long before that’s all there is to play in.
    ...It was a great day!
  7. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    P.s. l need a better headlight because it was sundown that chased me home, not the cold.

...Several good rides cut short by the 3 1/2 candle power headlight on my CRF450X.
  8. wildknits

Oddometer:
    I haven't yet. Forgot to bring a pump with and since there was 20 miles of pavement before and after the gravel loop didn't want to do that on too low of pressure. May have to play around with tire pressures a bit on future rides (which may be 2019 if this chilly weather keeps up).

And yes, a bit more weight could make a difference! Does on my other fat tired bike (winter bicycle). I usually have to drop the pressure on those tires a few pounds more then the guys I ride with as well. It is an art I have found, after dropping the pressure too low and the tire unseating (miserable slog home pushing/carrying a 30+ lb bicycle through soft snow).
  9. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Out for some late season scouting ..

oldest marker at 1920
    oldiron, CJohn, STRich and 4 others like this.
  10. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I am fascinated by settlement chronology in this part of MN. 1920 in Toimi is late in settlement history. I know Hovland was a center of commerce in the late 1800's, as was Two Harbors. There are markers at the Hovland cemetery from the flue epidemic around 1889. It took a long time for Toimi to be settled. Mining was a big pull throughout this area, from the range and up in to Ontario and east along both shores of Lake Superior. No minerals near Toimi, just trees.

I believe Sawbill Landing, east of Toimi, was active in the 1950's with a post office. Not sure when Sawbill Landing was established - maybe even later than Toimi. The Wehselers, who owned the Tofte grocery store, lived at Sawbill Landing for quite a while, but I don't recall exactly when. They talked about it often when I lived in the Tofte area.
    STRich, c-zulu, Lutz and 1 other person like this.
  11. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    I believe the Toimi school was active to about mid WW2

There were a handful of unknown markers in the cemetery, the marker I came upon was a finish lady that passed away young 1889-1920
    STRich and Lutz like this.
  12. MikeS

Oddometer:
    From the Toimi school plaque: “Drawn by the opportunity to own land, Finnish immigrants homesteaded the Toimi area in the early 1900’s. The Finns placed a high value on education, so their children attended classes in private homes before contractor Justinus Beck constructed Toimi’s first school in 1914.

The handsome one-room school building with hardwood floors, slate blackboards and a library eventually grew to include two classrooms and living quarters for the teacher. Grades one through four met in one room, while grades five through eight met in the other. The settlers took great pride in the schoolhouse, and it became a place for social gatherings.

Until roads were built to accommodate motorized school busses with hired drivers, parents transported the children to school in canvas-covered sleds or wagons. Students carried their lunches made of homemade bread, meat, squeaky cheese or Finnish flat bread in lard pails. Among the students’ most lasting memories is the enticing aroma of food thawing beside the wood stove in the winter.

The Toimi School closed in 1942 because of declining enrollment....."

I've stopped there several times over the years, but never when the building was open.
  13. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Out for one last scouting trip before the lead starts flying downrange..

This trail/road had potential until this...
    [​IMG]

If I had a riding partner present, an attempt to cross the river would have been considered ..

Scouting in this area, always on the hunt for "that trail".
    [​IMG]

This wasn't what I had in mind..:2guns:2guns

[​IMG]

Yup, it took about 20-25 minutes to pull this bastard out of that deep rut..

Before I left for todays ride, I was going to take my 950 but fortunately, the low fuel level sensor started to leak...

I might be spending the nite in the woods if that fuel sensor was operational, the rut was that deep and the mud was like Axel grease...
    oldiron, Mnrider2, Evil Santa and 9 others like this.
  14. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate when those ruts reach out and just pull you right in..:D
  15. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    Yup, I slipped in from the rut before (not pictured) gassed it and well....you get the picture..:bluduh
    MikeS likes this.
  16. dirt0311

dirt0311 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, don't know all the in's and out's on the forums. But trying to get it out there. I'm selling my 08 Ktm 950 Super Enduro, for a excellent late season price. Its listed in the Flea Market. I'm on the north shore. I know a few of you guys on here but not all of you. Anyway if any of you are interested check out the flea market add. Don't know if it's legal or not to put the link in here or not. Anyway looks like winter decided to show up yesterday, bummer huh.
  17. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's alive!!! I never saw the news headlines.
    Lutz likes this.
  18. MikeS

Oddometer:
    There's what appears to be a "snow bike" conversion system sitting for sale here in Grand Marais on the base of the Gunflint Trail. Moto is not part of it, but a front ski and rear track plus other items are there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    award900, oldiron and Lutz like this.
  19. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! Had it running last summer. I’ve got 70 something hours on it now since the rebuild. Not a lot of time to ride.
    mjaw, toadl and oldiron like this.
  20. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    9CEBBEBF-B3B0-4687-A2A0-048ADFEC9B3F.jpeg

DB3E0AF0-0593-4891-B136-1B2E60F698F1.jpeg

Well, I probably can’t afford snowmachine conversion, but that doesn’t mean I still can’t have fun with my motorcycle in the snow!

It definitely needs to be rejetted though for this cold weather.
    jwalters, Iffykid, MikeS and 8 others like this.