Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. wildknits

wildknits Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What did you think of the roads? How far did you get on the North Branch of the Carroll Truck Trail?

And more importantly, how were the deer flies?

There are a lot of roads to explore out that way, and it’s a short ride from town.
  2. bernuski

bernuski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190726_122947.jpg IMG_20190726_111731.jpg

End of tarmac at Pickle Lake Ontario! 51 Degrees 29 Minutes North Latitude!
    gepeze, Serow, LeMaitre and 1 other person like this.
  3. bernuski

bernuski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190727_132139.jpg

Celebrating Smokey the Bear's 75th birthday in International Falls. Happy Birthday Smokey!!
    wbbnm, Lutz, no and 2 others like this.
  4. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the Carroll Truck Trail? Google maps isn't giving me anything.
  5. wileskws

wileskws Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Serow likes this.
  6. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I went out and checked out the Ditch Bank Rd. area last weekend per comments here and had a fun time. Just about popped out on US2 while I was exploring. Lots of mud though, so that was less fun.
  7. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
  8. wileskws

wileskws Adventurer

Oddometer:

There is a lot more out there than it shows on Google Maps. Once you've explored all the Carrol Trail has to offer, if you just keep heading further up Number 4, there's tons of fun dirt roads that branch off of it. I've yet to explore everything up that direction.
    wildknits likes this.
  9. Serow

Serow n00b

Oddometer:
    Flies weren't too bad. I didn't get far at all because it wasn't too long until I started hitting mud and puddles that I wasn't too comfortable trying to go through alone with the fairly worn Cheng Shin tires on my XT. I'm looking forward to doing some more exploring when (or if) things get a little drier.
    wildknits likes this.
  10. wildknits

Oddometer:
    By Google maps.

The Minnesota DNR has it spelled with two "r's" and two "l's" in their document "Forest Classification and Road/Trail Designation Plan for the Cloquet Valley State Forest" (circa 2008).

It doesn't look like Google maps is showing the North Branch of the Carroll Truck Trail either. That adds on some area to explore as well.

As stated earlier - it was just about right for a post work ride/partial day ride. Though there were other trails/roads leading off the main roads that looked interesting (and weren't posted as private - there are cabin leases in the area apparently - per my DNR research).
  11. wildknits

Oddometer:
    Good to hear on the flies. I have noticed them getting a bit better in town during my runs.

Ah yes, decent tires help. Why I finally swapped out the Deathwing on the front of my TW for the Shinko. Boosted my confidence a bit. But not enough to attempt the bigger puddles solo.
  12. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a couple questions for you guys.

Looking to spend about 3 days in NE MN. Aug 13-16. Wanting to pitch a tent, ride my Husky 501, rent a canoe, and fish. I am thinking about the area at the end of Gunflint trail. I see there are some outfitters out that way for canoe rental.

Question one is, are there primitive campgrounds in the area or NFS type campgrounds? Q two, (half serious), will I need to wear a wetsuit saturated in deet to survive? Q three, how is the dual sport riding? Main roads? A maze of trails to ride for days?

Also open to tagging along with some locals if anybody is out riding midweek and wouldn't mind showing somebody around. Competent rider, bike well set up.

Thanks for the help.
  13. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Try Sawbill Lake north of Tofte. Federal campground on Sawbill Lake, plus smaller campgrounds on other lakes (Baker Lake, Cascade Lake, Hog Creek...). Canoe rentals & small store with gas at Sawbill Lake. Download OSM maps on to your gps or bring Garmin maps on your gps. Many of the more rugged roads are actually on the data sets. Look for Timber-Freer Lake Road, Rice Lake Road off the Tait Lake Road, Richey Lake Road for somewhat gnarly. More tame; 5 mile grade, Honeymoon Trail, Cramer Road, Parent Lake Road... Some of the guys over Finland/Silver Bay way may have added suggestions.

End of Gunflint is surrounded on all sides by the BWCA, so moto riding is more limited, although there are some fun areas but not so extensive. There's some fun stuff around the Gunflint Guard Station and on the bluff across the GFT from Gunflint Lake. Farther down, Lima Grade and Pine Mtn Road.

As an addition, on the lower GFT, there is good riding between Greenwood Lk Rd, and the Arrowhead Road: Firebox Road, Greenwood River Rd, Powers Lk Road.. and try the Portage Brook Rd for some fun. All these are on OSM and Garmin maps.

Another addition: At the old Sawbill Lodge site there are a few more remote campsites that are not well known. Best of all worlds in many ways. Ask at the store, or watch for Sawbill Creek sign as you cross the creek, then take the next left. If you miss, you'll be at a stop sign at the Sawbill campground, so turn around and make the first right.

Much more good advice like this, and we Northerners are going to ask for a tip! (LOL)
    armichels, c-zulu, Dirt2007 and 3 others like this.
  14. b0yjeenyus

b0yjeenyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  15. Dirt2007

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for that, I'll check those ideas out.
  16. Dirt2007

Oddometer:
  17. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your ride got me thinking about the furthest north you can ride/drive in Ontario. It appears to be north of the end of pavement at Pickle Lake. Did you take a look at the unimproved road?

-Mark
  18. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for a loop and took a detour.

Rode down Lake County 3 today from Beaver Bay. I knew it was paved at Stewart River. Came upon the gravel section between pavement while riding the Goldwing. Road was hard packed so not much of challenge. The detour off of 3 that I did not count on had marbles for the first part and soft gravel. Are they working on a bridge north of Silver Creek?

-Mark
  19. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    It’s a culvert replacement at the Encampment River, just west of Castle Danger Road.
    LeMaitre likes this.
  20. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Are you thinking of riding there? There is a RR from one of the western Ontario riders about that road/location. Arrowhead Rider and I rode to the end a while back. The road is "high speed gravel" to the mine north of Pickle Lake, and very good all the way to the end. The abandoned school along the way is worth the stop.
    LeMaitre likes this.