Northern / Central New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Failo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take two or three days next week and wander around north/central NM and just checking in here to see if anyone has any suggestions for nice roads or things I don't want to miss.

I'll probably be on my Tenere so gravel roads shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's your base, Santa Fe? Try Hwy 4 to 126. Stop by San Antonio Hot Springs rough road but navigable by stock SUV. No problem with a big bike since you'll be able to go around the big pot holes. The hot springs are totally awesome. Stop climb the trail and take a dip. Lots of cool things to do around The Jemez. There might be some interesting riding in Valles Caldera. Hwy 4 is a fun paves road. From Los Alamos you can also get to Bandelier. Nice archeological park. If your base is Albuquerque ride west to El Malpais. There's a primitive road that goes around the lava field and have access to the lava tube caves

Taos Pueblo is almost mandatory. However, I think is a little overrated.

You can keep going west and make it to Chaco Canyon. That's quite out of the way. Probably a two day ride from Albuquerque. Road there crosses a couple of deep sand washes. It can mess up your ride pretty quickly if you are not careful. Chaco is worth three or four days of exploration on foot. You'll have yo make it to Mexico to see a more impressive precolumbian archeological site.
    CPAT likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get from Abq to Chaco in a bit over half a day on some fun dirt backroads and you can see the major ruins in a few hours.
    We have then gone up to Farmington for the night a couple of times. There is a really fun big bike friendly primitive dirt road heading west out of the park, but then 40 miles of pretty boring pavement.

But if you are really into Pueblo archeological sites you would probably want to stay longer. There is a campground there.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots to ride. Hwy 64 Cimarron to Tierra Amarilla, or the enchanted circle loop Hwy 64, 38, 522. These are all paved but beautiful. If you like haunted hotels try the St James in Cimarron. Every character in the wild west stayed there when it was a stage stop on the Santa Fe Trail.
    CPAT likes this.
  5. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on the weather. We've been getting a lot of showers and the dirt roads can get bad pretty quick with a lot of rain not to mention the chance of flash flooding in the arroyos.
  6. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is also tent rocks but you don’t want to catch that in an afternoon monsoon.
  7. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely Hwy 4, runs between Los Alamos and San Ysidro past the Valles Caldera National Preserve. The Turquoise Trail is a paved road running south from Santa Fe along the east side of the Sandia Mountains and the Manzano Mountains. As previously mentioned, the Enchanted Circle leads you through the Moreno Valley. These are all paved routes but there is awesome forest road riding all along the way; just consult the web for the appropriate USFS Motor Vehicle Use Map for the particular forest or ranger district along any given route.
    handensco likes this.
  8. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    all of you satill have missed the best 30 miles of pavement in NM
  9. gbmaz

gbmaz Power Newb

Oddometer:
    And what would that be?

Sincerely curious.
  10. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely hit up those paved roads on the Svartpilen 401, so those recommendations are appreciated. I'm still looking for some dirt for the FE250!