Northern India and Nepal till October 3.

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Doogle, Aug 26, 2018.

1. krl

krl semi noob

Oddometer:
    Doogle, thanks for taking the time to make an "on the road in India" ride report. First real time report from India I have seen. Nice job. Enjoy Nepal.
  2. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. agrid

agrid n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent story thank you.

I've just signed up with four other people (one lady) to do an organised Manali - Leh tour in mid-august next year. Most of us have many years riding experience on road and dirt, but no adventure riding experience.

I already have an Arai XD4 and recently purchased the RST Adventure 3 pants and jacket. I'm wondering what I would need to wear underneath? Will I need thermals at that time of year or do you reckon the built-in waterproofing and thermal lining will do the trick? Some of the other people are still making their minds up on what to buy, one person is hoping to get away with a Dririder mesh jacket and Draggin jeans plus wet weather gear,

Also, should we worry about altitude sickness? We are all around late 50's and reasonably active. I ride the pushbike to work three times a week and go windsurfing in the summer but, like several of the others, drink too much beer and have a bit of a gut.
  4. Doogle

Oddometer:
    First, altitude sickness is different for everyone. I had no problems at all. And I rode up to 18,000 feet. I did some hiking decades ago up to 14,000 feet. And I've ridden some over 15,000 feet. If you have concerns about it, Diamox is a prescription drug you can take. It makes you pee a lot. I believe altitude sickness is caused by water separating from blood in the brain. The medication helps prevent that.

As far as clothing, I travel very lite. And I think I still took too much. I rode over Taglangla Pass and Khardungla Pass. I was wearing my overpants with nylon pants underneath. I had a thin wool base layer shirt with a medium thick wool sweater over that. Then my riding coat. I don't think I put my coat liner on. My hands were cold because I didn't want to take the time to dig out heavier gloves. I didn't put them on the whole trip. It was never cold for more than 30-60 minutes. Then a quick decent down to hot weather. My return ride over Khardungla Pass was cold. I put my rain gear on before I got there. A drizzle became snow with strong winds. Then the road was blocked by a land slide. Luckily I wiggled through the stopped traffic and heavy equipment doing the cleanup. I expected colder weather in northern India. I know what temperatures are like in the states at 10-12,000 feet. I thought it would be a lot colder since it was a mile higher. I took a pair of long johns that I wore 1 day. And wish I hadn't.
  5. agrid

agrid n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps for that information @Doogle, we really had no idea what to expect. I'm thinking that the ride organizers will have information packs and perhaps a pre-ride meeting, but we have all started to buy stuff so its good to have some idea.
  6. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very nice report, loved to read it. recognized many places.
  7. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I think having good rain gear is the most important thing to have. Then hopefully you will have heated grips for the little time you are in cold weather. I don't do tours. But if I did, I would still take my own GPS with free OSM maps. English is spoken everywhere-if you can understand their version.