Northern Nevada Black Rock

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Jan 23, 2021.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater How’d that happen? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all, planning another trip. This time to Black Rock area, southern Oregon and South Western Idaho back into Nevada. I have been looking for a paper map that covers these areas. Any Ideas?

Also, If anyone has any suggestions for probably a 5 day trip, that would be great!

Any input appreciated, thanks.
  2. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey pegbeater, check out liv2day’s RR Alone in the Oregon Outback. Great routes.
    Soldier Meadows Rd or NV217 depending on what map your using will take you from the OR/NV border south to the High Rock Canyon jct if you’re on a light bike or to the very northern access of the Black Rock Dessert playa if you’re on a bigger steed. Early spring you have to stay on 217 though. The playa is mush.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I will look up that RR. When is usually a good time to be on the playa? I definitely don’t want mush. I was planning around mid May at this point.
    Also, I’m not a GPS’er, so still hoping for a good paper map of the area. I found lots of digital stuff that I may just have to print
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best time in N Nev is the second-third week in June. Mud is mostly gone, sand hasn't been blown out yet, water still flowing, still green. Highs in the 80's, lows in the 50's.

The Benchmark Atlas is pretty good for both Oregon and Nev, if you're on a big dual sport. For more detail I like the Rams Maps Hunting maps for Oregon. There are some BLM maps for that area of Nev.

https://www.bigskymaps.com/category-s/1818.htm
    slogger, squidchief and pegbeater like this.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I will check those out. Looks like the trip dates are shifting!!

PS, I am on a big single 650. Hope the trails are friendly!! Can’t be worse than DV can it?
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    No real trails in N Nev, it's all two track. Not hard, but long and a LOOONNNGGG way from anywhere. The most problem I've had there was an occasional stream crossing that was rather deep. You'll want 200 mile range minimum, 250 is not too much. Bring all the emergency kit you can think of. If you don't bring it, you won't have it or find it. The NW corner of Nev is really great. Lots of history.

Cedarville, CA is a great little town. Was 'discovered' about 10 years ago, but it didn't stick and got back to a more normal equilibrium. It's got anything you need, but no more than that.
    billll likes this.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ll have to watch the mileage thing. My MPG goes way down in the dirt. At my very worst, I should be able to get about 180 miles. I’m planning on entering black rock from the south, maybe head towards Denio, over to Owyhee canyon, into southern Idaho and back to Nevada.

That’s the initial thought anyway. I need to get my hands on some maps and start planning. Hopefully the trip will include some hot springs too!!
  8. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use maps from a company call GTR Mapping. They are state maps, but unfortunately don’t have one for Oregon the last time I checked.
    You need more fuel. You need to remember, if you have a 200 mile range, if you need to turn back, you walk two miles for every mile you go out past 100 miles. And 100 miles is almost line of sight.
    I have gone over 300 miles between gas due to roads being blocked.
    pegbeater likes this.
  9. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are many many hot springs. If you do head east toward the Owyhee, Leslie Gulch in the north or Warm Springs Canyon in the south are awesome.
    pegbeater likes this.
  10. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Do these maps cover all of the forest service and BLM roads too?
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used the Butler G1 motorcycle maps? Stumbled across them today and they look pretty good. GTR was priced well, but I was not able to find a good sample of off road areas.

Once I get some maps, I can start planning a route. When I have a route will start planning for fuel. I have a one gallon Rotopax now and never had to use it (never ran out of gas) but came close in DV about 10 miles from Panamint Springs. I might get a 3 gallon for this trip-but then there is the weight thing too.

I feel like I’m getting closer to resolving the map issue. Thanks for all the input
  12. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    54E36C74-3498-4AC9-BEF6-5774C619F148.jpeg This is a picture o a GTR map of Nevada.
    They are a state map so covers everything, but not in the best detail.
    I’m a fan of Giant Loop’s fuel bladder. When not in use they roll up nice and small
    pegbeater likes this.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I like the fuel bladder as well, but way pricey. I already have a mount on my rear rack for the Rotopax, although not collapsible very functional. I also will be carrying 2 gallons of water in an MSR bladder, so having to accommodate another bladder would be tricky.
    I will be using the Giant Loop Great Basin bag though. Love their products.
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Is there a map with better detail of the smaller tracks or roads?
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I would have liked the folding map, but the site says it’s not available.

I have ordered a Delorme Oregon atlas and the GTR maps for Idaho and Nevada. I’ll give an update on the details when I get them. My only concern is the possible bulk of the atlas? Maybe not an issue
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention I also have a full set of BLM maps of the area. There is also an interagency map set called the “Northwest Recreation Map Series” that covers most of the eastern Oregon. Excellent maps without the usual interagency map detail discrepancies.
    I’m an admitted map junkie so I sometimes travel with a stack of maps.
  18. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a paper map user as well. I live, ride, hunt and fish in Northwest NV. I use the Benchmark brand recreation atlas as well as BLM maps for each individual hunt unit. Easy to find online.
    pegbeater likes this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I should start seeing maps showing up in the mail soon. I will see if the will be adequate. If not, I will look into Benchmark again
  20. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've actually had the best success with the Benchmark Atlas. I use the BLM maps more for hunting as each grid is a square mile. Works great went humping around with a pack and rifle on my back, but not so good for driving purposes.
    MasterMarine and pegbeater like this.