Northern Nevada Black Rock

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Jan 23, 2021.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater How’d that happen? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok. Last map just got here. It’s the Delorme
    Atlas and Gazzeter for Oregon. Im not even sure what a gazzeter is???? Anyway, the Nevada and Idaho maps were from GTR and pretty cheap as a set. But, the Delorme has far more detail than the GTR.

So, rather than continue to get copies of maps, I think I will go with the Delorme for Nevada and Idaho as well. I have been finding them for less than $10 at used online bookstores.

Thwy are quite large, like 12x18? This does pose a problem for bringing the whole thing and no way is it fitting in my tank bag. So, as stated by a previous poster, I will copy the pages that I need and use those in my tank bag see through.

Pretty excited as the planning of the route is now in site!!
    stormdog likes this.
  2. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Now that I am nearing the route planning stages I am looking for some more specific info. When I went to the Death Valley area, I was able to get info on the locations of several of the BLM cabins in the area and I planned my trip in part around finding some of these sites. This time around, I would also like to see if there are any of these publicly kept cabins as well as hot springs.

Any info would be great. I know the last time I inquired about the cabins, people were fairly vague about locations and it took a bit of investigating to find them. Keep in mind also that I am a novice.
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The forest service has some cabins that can be rented. The only one I have stayed at is the one at Fremont point above Paisley Oregon. Even if you don’t stay there, pretty cool view.
    Depending on the time of year snow will be an issue.
  4. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Hopefully heading out the second week of June. I will take a look on the webs for these.
    :beer
  5. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s about the same time frame that I was up on Fremont Point, so it might work out.
    If you get a rough idea for your route I have GPS tracks that might be of interest.
    pegbeater likes this.
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:

I might spend a few days in the black rock, head up soldier meadows rd out to Denio. From there over to Awyhee Canyon..... not sure after that. Was thinking over into Idaho and back down to Nevada. Will have to wait for maps to see what tracks might be possible.
    I don’t use GPS, that’s why this whole paper map deal. I would not mind seeing th paths of some of your trips though. It may aid in planning.
  7. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm me an email address and I will send you some tracks. I am not sure the process you will have to follow to open them without a program to do so. Maybe someone else will chime in.
    Also give me a rough idea of your skills, bike you are riding, fuel range etc.
    my buddy uses his phone off line for a gps and we email tracks back and forth so it is doable.
  8. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I make color 2 sided copies of the appropriate pages of my Benchmark. Then trace my intended route on them with a highlighter. This year I got fancy and used the same color highlighter for legs of the route as I made the GPS track in my Montana. That way I don't mess up my map books. With all my trips to NV, I have several copies of the Benchmark now tho. I also write in the margin what the next page number is if I go off the map. This is really handy if I go across state lines as the Benchmarks for ID, OR, UT and NV are all in different scales, overlap different amounts into the adjacent state and don't match up very well.

Once I get all the routes on the map sheets, I make more copies for all the other riders in my group.

On the ride I just fold up the map so the upcoming section is visible into my map holder. I keep the other pages in my main bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tommybelvedere likes this.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pics of the north end of the Black Rock between the playa and the border? That might be helpful to determine weather I want a Benchmark too.

I also plan on highlighting my route waiting for the other maps to start. May be doing this trip with my brother, so he will have some input as well.
    tommybelvedere likes this.
  10. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you want pictures of a Benchmark map or pictures of the landscape? Here is one I have on hand of the Idaho Benchmark just east of Jackpot.

[​IMG]

Depending on your skills and bike choice, I would recommend you travel past Onion Valley Reservoir and Knot Creek Reservoir. If you are west of Fields, OR make the run up to the top of Beatty's Butte. It is worth it!

For pictures of the landscapes, check out the link in my signature to get to more links to our ride reports. Once you have a Benchmark, you can probably follow along pretty well to see where we were.

The Benchmark Atlases are generally better than the Delorme Gazeteers from my experience.

If you are riding in SE Oregon there are some "Hunt Maps" that can be handy. There are some large private inholdings that can make planning a challenge.
    squidchief and pegbeater like this.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    So, after much delay I think my brother and I have mapped out our course. We will be headed out towards Pyramid lake and go see the Moon Rocks ohv area. Then on to the pyramid at the lake (never seen it). Back up and around the west side of the lake via dirt to Gerlach. Planning on exploring the Black Rock area for a few days. We will head up Soldier Meadows Rd, around Summit Lake reservation area and out to Denio. Head north towards the Alvord desert and cut across to Rome. Going to take the Skull Creek rd down the Owyhee River canyon and loop back to the bottom of Oregon on 95. Depending on time, way just head back to 80 from there or cutback across to Gerlach via Sulphur. Going to be a great trip. Will be out there from June 12th to the 19th.
    I ended up making copies of the Delorme Atlas. Just the pages that we would be using. Also bringing a regular Nevada paper map for reference.
    We will both have a GoProand cameras this time. So I am hoping to have a good ride report when we get back.
    Thanks for all the info everyone!
  12. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! That sounds like a great route and great time of year.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait! Just got my Rotopax 2.25 gal. All set for gear now! Just ordered another Dsport rear tire also. I have not been riding this bike in an effort to save the one I just mounted.....blaaaahhhh!!! I want to ride dirt!!
    I’ll mount the new one before I leave if I have to
  14. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    As @MasterMarine said, I'd at least check out Onion reservoir while you're driving by. I wouldn't try to take the route that swings by Knott Creek reservoir this time of year as often that road can be under water... hard to say with the minimal snow fall we had this year. Keep your eyes open on Alder Ranch Creek road as there are a lot of wild burro's along that route.
    Between fences and the reservation, off roading it between Pyramid and Gerlach isn't always as good of a ride as the map might suggest. You won't be far from NV 447 if you need to get back on the hardball. Gas at Empire is usually a good bet, if not, Gerlach will be your last chance before Denio Junction. While in Gerlach, make sure you stop at Bruno's for a bit and beverage. They have fried okra in substitute for fries if you so desire.

Hope you have a great ride. When are you planning this for?
  15. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Planning on the second week of June. We won’t be coming up through Empire though. We are coming up the west side of Pyramid. Supposed to be a decent route.

thanks for the tips!
  16. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so heads up. 2nd Saturday of June is opening day for mountain lakes in Nevada. A lot of people (dozens) will be going to Knott Creek Res, and hopefully fewer will be going to Onion. I'll be traveling a similar route as well. We'll be in Soldiers Meadow, probably at the hot springs, on the 9th and traveling on to Onion on the 10th. We're planning on being at Onion until the 15th. Swing by, we'll be easy to find. With that said, we 're in that area at the same time every year. Last year we worked on our tans Wed and Thurs. Friday started bright and clear but heavy thunder storms blasted through in the evening and we woke to over a foot of snow and below freezing temps in the morning. Stayed that way throughout Saturday and into Sunday.
    When we left out Monday we saw where multiple vehicles, including 4wd tried making it up to the reservoirs and couldn't. This is quite common and has happened to us on other occasions. Dirt roads in Northern Nevada turn into pure snot with just the minimal amount of moisture and you can easily experience all 4 seasons over the course of just a day or two during April, May and June. Be fully prepared for all eventualities or you'd better have a satellite SOS device. Riding skill has nothing to do with it.
    pegbeater and MasterMarine like this.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ha! That’s great info. I am pretty prepared. Will also take alternate routes if necessary. Our going to onion will depend on how much time we have left, which will depend on how much hiking and exploring we have done the days prior.

I hope we have the time and the weather to be able to meet up!!!
  18. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you knew the quality of homemade beer and gourmet cooking we do at fish camp you would say screw all the rest of your trip and make your way straight on for Onion. Your decision though. The dogs are always thrilled when we toss them all the extra steaks no one wanted to eat.......

You've heard of camping minimalists?? Even though we stay in tents, we're the opposite in every other way. You make it up there, you'll see what I mean. Either way, good luck on your trip and keep us posted. If nothing else know there will be jeeps and trucks with winches if you find your self in a bind.

upload_2021-4-20_13-57-0.png Blue Lake.

Wednesday

upload_2021-4-20_13-59-13.png Saturday

upload_2021-4-20_13-59-55.png Sunday
    DragonJoe and pegbeater like this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I truly appreciate the invite and hope we are able to make it!! Great pics......just the kind of place I like to visit!
  20. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is getting me very interested. Out of Vancouver, WA on a trusty DR650. The reservoirs, Blue lake, and remoteness look inviting. Also, the B24 crash site NE of Denio.
    And, @squidchief, I too homebrew.
    pegbeater likes this.