Northern Nevada Black Rock

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Jan 23, 2021.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been looking forward to exploring this area for a long time. I can’t wait. There is just so much to explore, I will probably have to go back.
  2. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving out of Gerlach on NV34 you should fork off onto NV state road 217 which is dirt. A couple of miles past mud lake... yep, that's it's name... well Mud Meadows anyway... you'll go over a cattle guard and Soldier Meadows camp area's will be on your left. There's a couple of different hot springs, hopefully you won't find nekkid hairy hippies in them, and plenty of places to camp. A sharp pair of eyes should be able to pick out this cabin: upload_2021-4-26_12-25-43.png Dry and warm. it even has extra sleep area : upload_2021-4-26_12-26-37.png Plenty of emergency supplies inside: I think we left a couple of MRE's and a quarter bottle of peanut butter whiskey (Screwball). Don't even want to remember what happened to the other 3/4 of the bottle! upload_2021-4-26_12-27-15.png @DragonJoe I don't do the brewing myself.... I just surround myself with those that do!!!
    DragonJoe and pegbeater like this.
  3. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    That whole area is crazy with places to ride and check out. That's one of the many things that makes this neck of the woods so great.
  4. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I think nekkid, hairy hippie season opens the beginning of June. If we leave early, maybe we can fill all our tags!!
    squidchief likes this.
  5. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tar your fishing pole. You can buy your license online for Nevada at ndowlicensing.com
    squidchief and pegbeater like this.
  6. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem with some of those women is you can never get their smell out of the fish........
    pegbeater likes this.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I was able to find the cabin, hopefully it will be at a point in our trip that we can use it
  8. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pegbeater sqidchief @DragonJoe. Finally got my dates set. I’ll be in the Oregon outback and northern Nevada 6/4-12 with no plans other than Three Forks Hot Springs(even the dirtiest of hippies won’t make the effort to get there). Hope we cross paths.
    pegbeater likes this.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good time. We will be out the week after. Probably won’t see you unless you get down into black rock. If you don’t mind, post here about the conditions when you get back. Happy trails!!
  10. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:

You'd be surprised! Enjoy your ride. We'll be in the area as well, though on four wheels. 9th in Soldier Meadows, 10th - 13th at Onion Reservoir.
    shotsprockets likes this.
  11. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ahh, bummer. We may not be around onion until after the 13th. Never know though. We don’t have a specific itinerary. We are not leaving until the 12th though.
    Hopefully we will cross paths!
    squidchief likes this.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:

Two more weeks till take off. Went for an early ride and then got the bike apart today for some final adjustments. Removed and cleaned the carbs, changed the coolant, new fuel line with added filter, cleaned up the intake, installed and lubed new throttle cables, repairing some fairing wear, tightened spikes and making some wiring adjustments.

Any other prep suggestions are welcome!

Attached Files:

14. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, give the bike a good hard ride to make sure you didn't break anything.
    pegbeater likes this.
  15. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I will. I still need to do some epoxy fairing repair to one of the mounting points and going to drill out a couple of the mounting points in the windshield to install some sleeves for the screws so it doesn’t crack around the current holes.
    Runs great though!!
  16. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you end up near the Alvord, hit up Fields Junction and get a blackberry milkshake.
    pegbeater likes this.
  17. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    So there's actually a better than good chance we'll meet each other going opposite directions. on the 14th we'll be leaving Onion Valley Reservoir and heading back to Gerlach via Knott Creek road, Summit Lake Rd and then through Soldier Meadows via state road 217 then on to 34. We'll be a couple of Jeeps and a white Ford dually., all pulling trailers..... not campers... trailers. Better than decent odds we'll have a variety of cold beverages and plenty of cold water if you have camelbacks to top off. Feel free to flag us down
  18. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    That would be great if that works out. We should be on our way through soldier meadows by then. I’ll be on an Aprilia 650 and my brother on a shiny BMW 850
    squidchief likes this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Uuuuuuuggggggghh! Started off with high hopes and lots of excitement yesterday. Made it to Reno and found that there was a slight leak at my radiator cap. Nooooooo! :muutt Called the local BMW dealer and they actually had a cap! Wow. That never happens with my bike. I went to pick it up, wrong cap. Not sure what the deal was there. Spent the rest of the day searching Reno area for something that would fit. Nothing. Attempted to create a ‘fix’. No luck. This is what I found:

A tiny crack in the flange that supports the seal for the rubber gasket. It’s cracked far enough around the inner diameter of the flange to leave about an inch of it just flapping around.

Special order from Italy. Trip is a no go………unless someone knows a magic cap alternative for a 2000 Pegaso? 1.2 Bar

Attached Files:

20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call Mylers radiator in Salt Lake City. Maybe they can help you out. And/or visit radiator shops.