Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Jan 23, 2021.
Is that brass? A machine shop should be able to braze it or make you a replacement?
It is brass. It is also cracked around the circumference of the middle of the cap. A good inch of it has no support at all. I already ordered one from Italy. I’m pretty resigned to calling off the trip for now.
On the upside, I’m thinking about the fall. Does anyone know what timeframe is good for travel around Black Rock, up to Alvord and over to Owyhee River Canyon in the fall?
So I was looking at the weather averages for September. Maybe second or third week? Anyone have any experience in those areas for that time of year?
Wonder if JB Weld would get you by.
Yeah, we considered that. I decided that it would not be worth the risk when we were going that far out. Im regrouping and shooting for possibly the end of September. That will give me time to get a new cap and put the bike through the paces a little closer to home before heading a couple hundred miles from services.
I sure would be curious as to what caused the cap to crack.
I’ve owned a bunch of things that had radiators, and I’ve never seen one crack before.
Me either. They usually stop letting water in or out at the correct pressures or temperature. It almost looked like there was some corrosion where the crack was. Maybe a defect?
September and even well into Oct is usually pretty doable. Late October is when things really start to cool down in that area.
You missed some good riding. Got rain and snowed on in Soldier Meadows on Wednesday. Road through Soldier Meadows and past the Summit Lake Indian res was in pretty good shape. Halfways through Knott Creek ranch road things started getting pretty greasy and dicey. In the 10 miles between Knott Creek Ranch and NV 140 my trailer tires quite rolling as they were completely impacted with mud between the tire and fenders and inner tire to wheel well. Completely jammed. If I'd been on two wheels I would of had to just sit next to the side of the road for the better part of a day before being able to continue on.
I know there are plenty of studly studs out there who will pound their chests at the sky and say how I need to toughen up and gain some skills, but I live here. I know these roads. I know what can happen. Wet dirt roads in Northern Nevada can get you in situations you don;t want to be in.
There will always be other rides.
Still a little bummed about having to cancel. Sounds like we dodged a bullet though. That would have really put a crimp in our day. I’ve been down in mud in the desert……no fun. I will plan on the third week in September. My brother is out and does not want to go, but my neighbor is in. He won’t be on a bike but he wants to follow in his new Tacoma. It will be like having my own support truck!!
Fingers crossed. Round two looks doable. I want to get parts on my bike, do a couple of local trips and make sure everything is sound.
So I got the new cap. No brass like the old one. All tin and aluminum. But it works. Flushed the system again and have been on several local rides with no issue.
I also found a NOS rear rotor for cheap. So I will be going through the back brakes as well. Probably a good thing since my rotor has been toast since I have owned the bike.
We will be heading out in September now. 18th - 25th. Weather history seems to indicate that it should be fair weather. But, the plan has changed a little. My brother may not be going on his bike and my neighbor wants to follow in his spanking new Tacoma TRD. This is great for me, because it means I get a support truck!! Although I’m wondering if he will have any issues out there in a stock truck. Especially the stretch between the top of the Alvord desert headed east to 95?
We went through there last summer in a mildly modified Outback and a CR-V. There are certainly places you could get in trouble if you wanted, but you should be good.
If it hasn’t rained in a bit the truck will be fine.
Or he could take white horse ranch road.
Two weeks out. We will be leaving on the 19th. We will be following the same route that I planned for June, minus moonrocks…….Roseville to Reno, around Pyramid to Gerlach, north to Denio, up to Alvord and then across to Rome, down the Awyhee river canyon. After that will depend on time.
Anyone know if there are any fire related closure in these areas?
As it is right now, that's a good route. No issues, just smoke and heat.
O the road……it’s happening!! Will be posting updates here………