Northern Nevada Black Rock

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by pegbeater, Sep 19, 2021.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater How’d that happen? Supporter

Oddometer:
    1C7614D1-D14B-44CE-8FA3-F7526EC0067F.jpeg F8E4F368-A407-4DF4-9353-7837FDB810A0.jpeg Started the tour today. Leaving Roseville Ca for Pyamid Lake NV, desert to Gerlach, through Black Rock to Denio, up through Alvord Desert and across to Rome, and down the Awyhee River Canyon, then back home. I will keep posting pics and updates along the way.

Forest morning over the Sierras was wet and windy. Stopped for breakfast in Truckee at the Squeeze Inn.
    Buitre, EMFL, staudio and 3 others like this.
  2. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s a great route!
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Made it to Gerlach. The dirt from Pyramid was pretty good. Doing about 60mph most of the way. Got to see a herd of bighorn and donkeys. Couple of springs. Posted up just outside of Gerlach for the night. Out to the playa in the am. 479D94FE-9329-4DF9-8A01-63C56D8C6242.jpeg 4BFDBB7A-671A-4D74-A113-911F212877EF.jpeg 479D94FE-9329-4DF9-8A01-63C56D8C6242.jpeg

Attached Files:

nutmagnet, Rotax655, ArielNut and 3 others like this.
  4. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    567C6112-B43D-4E4A-AEDC-6AF447F3A445.jpeg 4CD33899-8D21-4658-A73F-1BA35D4F7C4B.jpeg FBDC9C66-1115-4B89-9AFE-242F66AAA5F1.jpeg

Got out the the playa at black rock Tuesday morning. AMAZING!!! Miles of nothing. 70mph, no big deal. We started out at Frog pond hot springs in the morning for a good foot soak. Headed across to the north western side of the playa about 20 miles. My bike started to big down a bit at 60 and I had to stop to see if I was having mechanical issues. Turns out that the playa crust in that area wa about 2 inches thick. Too much resistance and rpms too low. Started of again only a hear lower and no issues. Made it over to black rock hots springs for a full soak. Awesome! Refilled in Gerlach and headed out to the cabin near Soldier Meadows ranch. Great end to the day!
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I just love that country. I'm eagerly awaiting more. :clap
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Wednesday. Woke up at the cabin to some coyotes this morning. Mile or better off. I love that sound though! Made our way up to Denio. Witnessed some prong horn antelope, herd of donkeys (with a couple baby’s), some jack rabits and lots o free range cows….on the roads at times!! To a rear in denio at the gas station. Met a really nice group of people touring around in their side by sides. Went up to fields for a milkshake. Quite possibly the best shake I e ever had……Oh….I had the triple C. Chocolate, coffee and caramel. Whoever gave me that tip..A+!! Got up to the Alvord playa, awesome! Checked in at the Alvord Hot Springs camp ground and my buddy and I opted for the $60 a night “better than a tent bunker”. Power, lights, fan, beds (kind of, beware the twins!), unlimited hot Springs use and a door. Literally gulf war troop bunkers. Pretty neat.
    Hit the spring after e playa. Perfect. What a view! I we back out to the playa at sundown and toured its entiret, including some drifting between dunes on the north east side…a little damp too, but perfect. Then another soak until we were ready to pass out. Full moon for the third night.
    Off through the top of the Alvord across to Rome tomorrow.

24FDE0E1-6F20-4255-954E-BF7C2460E632.jpeg 51A78E76-2FA8-4561-8B83-2C60A205D9F1.jpeg
    Burnin the playa at about 70!

Attached Files:

MasterMarine and nutmagnet like this.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:

Started the day with a pre dawn soak. Ahhhhh. Does it get and better? Wait, yes it does! A fellow smoker invited us to breakfast. Fresh butchered bacon and sausages! Mmmmmmm. Headed out towards Mickey hot springs. About 8 miles in, my buddy’s truck got a flat. No worries, we were totally prepared. Got it off, plugged and back on in short order. Most of that road was really rough.
    We passed some more prong horn, a few deer and a pair of mustangs in the early afternoon.
    Rode through an old horse camp. One of the two cabins were still livable and there was an outhouse.
    About two miles from 95, the road ended at a private gate. Per my map, this was supposed to be the way out. The only other option headed back into the hills. So we helped ourselves, found a resident and got directions out. He was actually very kind…..so heads up if you are coming from Alvord to 95. Make sure your route goes all the way through.
    Got to Rome. It was much smaller than I expected. Had a burger at the only option in town. Food was good and the owners were friendly.
    Decided to continue on down Skull Creek and the Awyhee Canyon. We somehow got on a road that was a few miles west of Skull Creek (I think), and it was the worst so far. Really rocky and hard to make any time. Got cloudy quick and we had a few showers before sun down. Road stayed pretty’s dry though. Found a flat spot and set up camp.
    This was a long day! We we glad to stop ‘going’ for the day!!!

Attached Files:

MasterMarine likes this.
  8. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thursday morning. Pretty cold last night. Heavy dew on everything. Hot coffee felt really good!

we talked about our exit route from the Awyhee area back to 95 and decided that we would exit cattle country and go back up to Rome on the road we were supposed to be on yesterday (we ended up on a really bad road about 5 miles west of Skull Creek).
    We headed out. No more cattle fences to open, that was nice! Back north on Skull Creek. Varied road quality. A few large mud holes. Lots of antelope and deer today. Some chukars. Nice hunters cabin on the way back with a watering hole for cattle. We ran into a guy we had met at the Alvord hot springs a few days back. What are the chances? Nate and his dog Fernley we traveling in their van. We talked a bit an he decided to follow us back.
    We parked at a wide spot in the road and all hiked down to the canyon. It was amazing. Spectacular views in all directions.
    Back to Rome station. We sat down, had some drinks and a huckleberry milkshake! That hit the spot. Nate was undecided about where he would go next, maybe Idaho. We were headed back towards Macdermot.
    SAFE TRAVELS NATE!
    The maps got pulled out at Macdermot and we discussed we’re to go next since we seem to be making good time. My friend and travel partner has become a little weary of the roads that we have been on this week. It’s a lot harder to keep a good pace in a truck. So, we decided to take some highway time down 95 to 140 and over to Leonard Creek. Then in the morning, we will head back towards Black Rock and get some more playa time. Then maybe home? We will see!!!

Attached Files:

MasterMarine likes this.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    4641748B-F822-43CA-827D-66D18E80943A.jpeg BDE88069-C236-41E3-9EC9-512CA04EB520.jpeg F414A2EF-2D40-42B0-BFDE-FA57A5E0E42C.jpeg A571FC1A-F2B4-4C3B-B8DD-13D151281CB7.jpeg
    Friday. Started out at Leanard Creek and the road turned dirt a few miles in. Gravel at first, turning to pockets of sand, hard pack and back to loose gravel. It was pretty easy to maintain 50 to 70 on a lot of it (on a bike). There were section that the truck made good time too. The views on the northeast of the Black Rock were as spectacular as everywhere else we have been on the trip!
    Got to Sulpher. Only one building still standing. Took a walk around a bit, grabbed a snack.
    Back out to the playa at Frog Pond. Really made some time there. Both of us doing about 80 all the way back to 3 mile.
    Took a side trip out to a place called Planet X. A local artist who does ceramics and painting. REALLY talented. Had some beautiful stuff. We both ended a few purchases before heading back to Gerlach for fuel.
    Then the loooioong asphalt ride home. More great scenery. Our whole trip wa smoke free until we cleared the summit over the sierras. California is still burning. Bummer.
    And that was it. Arrived home into the loving arms of our wives.
    What a fantastic trip. We made way better time than I supposed we would while planning. About 1500 miles total.

By the way, the Hyperpro rear shock and Tusk Dsport rear tire really made the difference on this trip. The shock ate everything I fed it, and I was shoveling!! The Dsport really hooked up on everything. It changed my riding completely and gave me a lot more confidence. I’m sure my trip mate is way over hearing about this tire. The pace on this trip was easy 5 times that of my last desert trip. Made the Pegaso feel like a dirt bike
    MasterMarine likes this.
  10. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    So, here are a few of the out takes and near disasters!

So maybe not really an out take, but definitely worth mentioning. The water at Double Hot Spring is VERY hot. Glad I brought the heat gun, because the water was so clear and enticing.

Next was all of the oil running down the engine onto the ground. My heart sank as I waited for my friend to catch up and gazed over Summit Lake at the reservation. This was one of those trip ending moments. Being that my bike now has over 60k miles, it was half expected. Blown head gasket.

But wait, the hero of this story (the Pegaso) bounces back! It’s owners stupidity saves the day!!

Someone (me) forgot to tighten the oil filler cap after checking fluids the morning of our 3rd day. NO blown head gasket. YES!!

then there was the flat on the truck. But as was mentioned previously, we were well prepared. My buddy actually put two plugs in this hole. He did a good job because it held the duration of the trip.

The biggest unknown for me on this trip was the space between the Alvord and 95. Just couldn’t tell from maps or satellite what or if there was a good track there. So of course, 20 miles in I stopped to wait for the truck and noticed this.

Overflow cap MIA. Not a huge problem as far as problems go. Quickly remedied with this.

And later this…

A cap from the top of a bottle of Crystal White dish soap that was in the hunters cabin by the Awyhee River Canyon.

Problem solved. And of course preserved a new cap when I got home.

And thats it. Thanks to everyone here for advice and information on the areas we travelled. Thanks to our lovely wives for tolerating all the prep, purchases and time away.
    View attachment 3209036

Attached Files:

11. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done that road from Pyramid to Gerlach, leading a group of V-Stroms from a rally in Reno, I got up to 100 mph then thought about what that would feel like if I went down, stopped to wait for the others, next guy was a younger guy, said he had hit 110 mph, there is always someone faster
    pegbeater likes this.
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    That’s really fast!! Those were my thoughts as well. There were some roads where I was around 70. 80 on the playa. What kind of rear tire were you riding?
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    724AA2D6-5B4D-4C73-9077-7257A9031137.jpeg 3AC39292-456E-4DFA-AB16-64FD4857F3B2.jpeg Found the only real casualty of this trip. It must have happened the last day, because I checked the day before. Apparently, the bracket that holds the overflow and my bash plate was not designed for my kind of abuse. It was only being held by the two bold under the frame. Glad it made it home
    MasterMarine likes this.
  14. Buitre

Buitre n00b

Oddometer:
    Great trip and photos!!

I feel healthy envy of your trip, I would love to have my pegasus running and get lost in the world with my old peg.

The piece that broke off for you also broke off for me without going off road. It must be a typical peg failure.
    pegbeater likes this.
  15. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Interesting. The steel bracket that mounts to the aluminum bracket that broke has been re welded. I’m surprised that the aluminum has held on this long. Over 60k on the bike now. Because of the miles and a small puff of occasional black smoke, I’m thinking of a top end rebuild.

I hope you get yours back on the road soon!
    Buitre likes this.