Northern New England Trail (NH-ME-VT Late September/early October on a DS Anyone?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by devo2002, Jul 15, 2012.

1. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canu advised it is all he has due to computer crash, I'm working on combining the original summit to forks with the alt go around using the delorme software topo 9. I haven't had any time the last week but will post it if I can pull it off.

If not we can work with it anyways, just load the alt track when we get to the detour spot.
  2. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Devo leads using his paper maps. He drags a thick purple (magenta?) rope behind him that I follow as Garmin has trained me to do. The rest of the riders follow the trail of gear and parts falling off my bike. Capish?:deal
  3. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  4. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan to me:lol3

Are you in or out lurker?
  5. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    def lurking. still not sure what i can make
  6. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two weeks to go :clap

I've been having all my new stuff for the trip being sent to work, I could tell my girl was thinking I'm spending too much money on a damn dirtbike with everything being sent to the house.:lol3
  7. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I scored a box of Mountain House backpacking meals at Costco. 10 pkgs for $40. That's about half of what I see at sporting goods stores. I'm both proud of and releived by this find. Now we won't have to eat the children.:wink:
  8. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Its 5:37am now. I am at Costco waiting till they open doors! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the areas we will be in we are looking at average temps in September to be 45-70. I'm hoping my Dakar pants with wicking long johns does the trick. Looks to be one of the dryer months.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Maine/temperature-september.php

The 350 is getting a new chain and sprockets, geared down for the tough stuff, hope I'm not wringing its neck at 60mph. Also having the carbs cleaned as I don't want any surprises. I've decided this is the last carbed bike I buy so Im not gonna learn how to dismantle them now. I replaced all the fluids and the dealer is checking the valves as well. She should be good to go by Thursday.

The rest of my gear arrives this week, god I spent a fuckload on gear this year, I hope it lasts many a trip. I'll do a packing exercise this weekend, as well as make sure I can follow tracks-routes on the Delorme. I'm not going to be able to combine the alt route but no biggie.

I think I'm all set except for figuring out where we are resting our heads. I'll make a list of every campground along the route but am resistant to book anything as I hate to have to rush to make a reservation or we get to the camp spot at 3pm. The sun will be setting early, average 6:30, so it looks like we will most likely be setting up in the dark. Fires a must for moral given the temps so cowboy camping will have to be really out of sight.

Everyone else almost ready :dunno
  10. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike
    I will not break my bike

Wait a minute!

I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
    I will not break myself
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I bundled up and rode 90 miles. I didn't really need to dress that warmly but I wanted to see where the wind comes in before it's 40 friggin' degrees. I suspect that my patented J.SP.RP system will be adequate. That's jeans, ski pants, rain pants. I should figure out some wind protection for my hands. Thicker/better gloves have been elusive. They're either too thick, as in can't move, or too tight as in, same thing. Maybe some plastic BBQ sauce jugs cut down?
  12. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is always hippo hands:lol3

I've been tempted by workman gloves, seems like decent leather and would be comfy if you don't get a cheap, scratchy pair. If you are cheap, large rubber over gloves for when it rains. I was heavily considering it until I found a used pair of alpinestars on here. Not too late to search the gear section.
  13. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can borrow my gerbings if you don't mind the wire sticking out the glove. Some say it's bulky but I've never had a problem. Not waterproof though.
  14. rubRsidedown

rubRsidedown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just hook up some hand warmers. :D
  15. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My campground research so far:

http://www.gopinescamping.com/about.php
    Website says they'll be open.

http://balsamwoods.rtrk.com/?scid=2715947&kw=16214928:175714&pub_cr_id=14071649316

http://www.bigmoosecabins.com/rates_policy/low_rates.php
    I spoke them and they'll be open.

http://www.arndtscamp.com/AARLC/Home.html

Also there is "My Brother's Place" which is a campground without a website in Houlton. I spoke to them and they'll be open.

Anybody have others or feedback on these?
  18. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice finds. I wrote down the state park addresses, we will pass by a few and they are $18 per site.

Only on the Delorme paper map do I see at least 15 campground along our route (doesn't show on their topo 9 software unless I'm doing it wrong). The descrip is "primitive camping/may need owner permission". This looks vague yet promising so I'm going to type up a quick landowner permission form that can be used wherever we go, might save some hassle.

If anyone needs anything printed out let me know, one of very few perks of office life:cry
  19. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw some nice pics linked in the Toxic Britiny thread over in JoMomma. Can you print them for me?:lol3
  20. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer: