Northern New England Trail (NH-ME-VT Late September/early October on a DS Anyone?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by devo2002, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I dragged my ass out of bed at 6:30 to trailer the bike to the Berkshire Triple Ride. It was COLD. I can take a hint.

At the risk of looking like the Michelin Tire man, I will be wearing the following on this ride:

Jeans
    Ski pants
    Rain pants
    T-shirt
    Jacket liner
    Riding jacket
    Rain coat
    Balaclava
    Riding gloves
    Ski gloves
    Full face street helmet with visor

I suspect that in a crash, I will just bounce back up!

6 more days...
  2. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We might be able to see a bit of it Friday on the drive up if we can trust the bikes on the trailer :dunno

Were you joking about a small saw/axe or are you bringing one?
    As long as you don't wear all that at once you should be ok:D I just saw weather.com said it was 35 lastnight in Sutton
    :eek1
    I'm all done packing and testing out gear, these four days of work are going to take forever!

How many freeze dried meals are you bringing because some of these meals take up precious space!
  3. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be packing the bike soon and will jam as much chow into it as I can. I'll let you know. Ramen noodles are easy too. The key thing is to carry enough water. In the event of a breakdown, water will prolong survival.:D

It's a good policy to never pass up gas or water.

The only time you have too much fuel is when youre on fire.

Assuming we stay at legit campgrounds we can use their water to cook and drink at night. I bring a 24 oz bottle to keep filled but store bought water bottles help as well. The trouble is they are heavy and take up too much space. I could round up some neighborhood cats to bring in case someone has the urge or some Chineese food.

5 days...
  4. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you guys want some specific advice around the Sugarloaf, Maine area, I'd be happy to give you some inside info. Just shoot me a PM.
  5. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I have water filter and we can make water from any paddle or lake. Also I will take my MSR blader witch is 4liter and we r covered with water for the trip. Just in case take like small water battle each. And I will take my saw and axe but no chain saw:rofl
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds good. I'll bring the wood chipper.:wink:
  7. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my son saw all my gear piled up he suggested a side car. Would one on each side so I could bring my dog be too weird?
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well ya know what they say, lay all your stuff out and from there remove half and bring some extra cash:D

I weighed my gear and everything minus my camelbak and riding gear is 40lbs. I still feel like I'm taking the kitchen sink!
  9. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my stuff is in a pile while I'm in FL for a few days (BBQ was calling). Maybe I'll hang the meals off the bars like ornaments. How fast can a bear run?:D
  10. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to zigzag when you are riding.

While camping a month ago in MA, a French Canadian couple next to us was having trouble with bears. She walks over, in boyshorts, and says "I think the bears are after this" as she holds up a hunk of red meat!!! We politely told her to please either cook it or put the in the car immediately. It was hard to tell a cutie with red meat to go away:rofl
  11. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like I will have to bow out this weekend due to commitments with work (self-employed). I was only going to do the VT sections but was looking forward to meeting up & seeing more local (for me) terrain.

Going to try to still get up to Canuman's the following weekend.

Have a fun & safe trip!

TD

PS it's been cooling off here quite a bit lately, so be prepared. Lit a fire in the woodstove this past Sunday AM!
  12. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries td, atlas and I will be at Canu's for the rondesvouz. It will be a great time, I hope to see you there.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:

WTF? Where's your business? I'm gonna sick some occupiers on you up there!:D
  14. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in St Pete FL it's raining cats, dogs, mice, gators, spiders and molested ducks!

I'm told this is hitting the whole eastern part of the US.

It's gonna be muddy out there.:clap
  15. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am flexible with the ride days. While I am not interested in CroMag, I can easily start a day or two later. So far the wx looks like crap on Sunday and Monday. We'll have a better look at it as we get closer. I have two days of chores to do. I was planning on being done with the ride Friday night thus allowing Sat and Sun for them. If you want to Cro Mag it and then go on the ride Monday, I'll just do the chores this weekend instead of next. Atlas?
  17. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for being flexible Rich. It's not definite and perhaps it's a bit much considering there is 5-7 days of riding afterwards! Cromag is only an hour south of the summit so we could still leave Sunday so that would give us 6 days still. I've been at the gym like crazy for the last month to build some endurance, but that still doesn't make up for the prior 4 years of sedentary desk jockeying:D

I'll give Anton a buzz later and let you know.

As for the weather I see it has gotten even colder, mid 30's lastnight in Sutton. Saturday looks ok now but you are right, sun-mon we will be rained on.
  18. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came in from the woods loop I walk the dog on every AM. Pretty brisk! A balmy 35, I think.

So be prepared, though I DO think this was our cold dip for a few days. Looks like a beautiful day on the way though.
  19. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ”I've been at the gym like crazy for the last month"

I too have been preparing, every day at this place:

[​IMG]
  20. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Guys I am flexible with your plans. I will go where you going and I will not complain. If you have any plans, I am in!!! At this moment I am getting ready too. My next exercise you can see on the picture

[​IMG]