Northern Ontario info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hektoglider, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping someone may know if: 1 The Seine river road and Brule road can be travelled ( HWY 17 to 11).2 if the road fromSavanne to Athelstane is ok( I assume this one is ,looking at the Backroads Mapbook)3 what fuel availability is on HWY 17 besides Upsala.(near Raith area)
    I plan on riding the abandonded rail line from Souix Lookout down towards Raith,and would like to cross the highway here and travel southerly,crossing Hwy 11 near Shebandown,going south towards the US border.I would prefer to get onto Fortes road right near where Brule road comes onto the hwy,but my main concern is committing myself to this route and then finding it impassable.Exploring is what its all about but time/fuel useage will be an issue and any knowledge will be appreciated.Maybe ZZr knows?
    The other areas of my route are not decided fully,and mid -August will be the Ride.
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get some info, pretty sure all the routes you mentioned are passable. If you get on the old rail line at Sioux Lookout, (gas up there!)
    and find a bridge out or anything, you can usually find a way around it, then get back on. We rode from there to Silver Dollar this spring no problem.
    Gas is available at Silver Dollar as well.

Fuel at Shabaqua, Upsala,Ignace, then Dryden .
    There's a couple of stations in between that are only open during the day.
    Be careful,the station at Upsala is NOT 24 hour!

If you want to go South after the train tracks, you can get on the Graham
    road, it will take you from 40km west of Upsala all the way to Atikokan.

The other road that is passable by motorcycle is the Snake Bay Road.
    If you are riding a big pig, you won't make it through on that one though.

Here's a pic of the old rail bed. Where are you from?
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    WE had to walk the bikes across here though!
  4. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great run.I am from the Atikokan area,and will take the Snake bay road to get up there,thru the back roads to Souix Lookout.Then the route south I described earlier.I believe I can get fuel at Shebandowan as well.I will keep GPS routes and wpts and add it to the ones from previous rides.
    I tried to go into the abandonded mine near Cobble Lake last time up,and was unable to get there,(too grown in).I wonder if it was anything to see?I really wanted to ride into there.I'll post some photos some day soon.This is a good area for exploring.
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Cool! Atikokan is my home town. Used to work at the iron mines a very long time ago.

I have some time off during the time you're riding, maybe we can hook up
    for a bit.

Shoot me a PM.
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I thought you were planning on coming down here to visit this summer. :scratch

Fambly decided they didn't want to see you? :D
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Ex-wife and daughter are moving again, so I'm holding off for now...
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Hektoglider vbmenu_register("postmenu_3076164", true); , I think I've seen your bike around...

Honda 650 with a bigger tank?

I sometimes stop and have lunch/coffee with old
    Swede when I'm riding through that way.

Lots of nice roads in the Nipigon area too. You could
    start by riding Highway 585 (along the Nipigon River)
    and ride some dirt from there.
  9. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I just got the tank this spring.Right after I bought the Mapbook I knew I had to go look at these places.Old Swede is a good long-time rider,not scared to crank off some high miles.We have an all-pavement run into Minnesota planned for later this fall.
    The Northern Ontario ride I have planned will loop thru Atikokan,Dryden, Soiux Lookout Upsala,for sure.And then?Likely down to the U.S. border.Maybe up Thunder Bay/Nipigon area.Or from Upsala to Nigigon then the area near Pigeon River.
    Any riders who have four days to ride this area are welcome to tag along.I'll be leaving noon the 16th from Atikokan,and can head North ,or go east and do the run in the opposite direction,if need be to accomodate any riders joining along the way.On the morning of the 17th any Minnesota riders can meet at the Pigeon River border,do the loop around and go back thru the Falls.Its not far.No route is for sure,except that I will go riding and am willing to alter the route for other riders needs.
    This will be as much backroad,dirt road,trails and least pavement as possible.They are ripping up sections of 622,so it adds more already.
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I have that mapbook on CD. It has the most impressive maps I've ever seen of this area.

Anyway, I have to work the 16th and 17th, but then I'm off for 9 days.

Too bad Steve K is at work (Musselwhite) during that time.
    He has a new DR650 that needs to get dirty.

Will you be carrying a cell phone?

EDIT: There's a few pics of the Snake Bay Road in this
    ride report. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102476
  11. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Maybe we can host a Sept ride if everyones time off lines up.I still am not sure of the direction I will go,but the mountains by Nipigon sounded good,and the Greenwood Lake consv area.It may be a large figure-8 ride,but if the weather turns foul here,I may fire up a different bike and go somewhere that its not raining.(south?).I will have a cell but its never "on".But a call time can be pre-arranged.
    I met Steve at Walts store one time a few years ago....Old Swede talks of the high mileage he puts on the 600.
    I will keep tracks and wpts on the 60 CSx,and take some photos.I've been to far places,and am finding great riding is also right in my backyard!
  12. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I'll be staying at Bunnell Park on Thursday Aug 17th.

Grey standard cab silverado, towing a 12 foot camper,
    if you wanna drop by for a beer.

Edit: a September ride sounds great!
  13. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading your ride reports.The ice on the ponds in last years photos reminds us that soon it will be cold again,and to get riding while its good going.I see the Mapbook for sale in many places,but never the CD version.Did you order it?or find it in a store?can you load those maps into the GPS?
    I will likely not be around here on the 17th.Will you be here for several days? I'll be back on the 19th.And I will go thru Dryden on the afternoon of the 16th.I have my route roughly figured out now and I never know how it will end up but it is a good run for 4-days.Pioneering some routes that are uncertain,so maybe I will have to backtrack if some roads don't connect.
    I will PM you if its ok,and send you some contact info,as well as my work schedule,to line up a fall ride.
  14. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:
    I tried doing the Brule road 2 yrs ago as it showed as a thru road on my 1:25000 Map, but there was no way thru. i recently got new maps at 1:50000 and it is clear that it does not connect. Still a nice ride:1drink if you want to do it twice:D Give me a call when you get to sioux lookout and i will take you on a cpl of the "more" interesting local trails. cell 807-737-0863 or 807-737-3779. Hopefully i will be back by aug 18th at the latest. always a cold beer here and helpif you need it.
  15. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    I am trying to post some ride photos,from the last ride I was on North.
    Thanks for the tip on Brule,I was leaning towards trying it but now will use the Round lake way south after the "rail".I have been to Bedivere from the south years ago.....
    I will be thru Souix late afternoon 16th,and arrive via backroads from Sunstrum,/Hudson probably.
    A lot of the mapping shows "thru",but the areas do not connect.Grown in or washouts etc.But there are many new roads not shown as well.By the 18th I hope to be near Lake Superior somewhere...

Attached Files:

16. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    This was the road north......Seperation Lake bridge coming up next.The only pavement was 50 metres each side of the huge bridge.The route between Minaki and Ear Falls.

Attached Files:

17. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Theres is a fishing Lodge just south of the bridge.Gas is five bucks a gallon.Its the last gas,and you ride down to the boat dock for it.Also in Minaki you fill up at the marina.

Attached Files:

18. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    From here on its quite desolite,there is loggers and haul trucks,plenty of hills and places where you can really wind it out,but riding solo up here requires caution.Those are Caribou antlers,on the wall of a building in Ear Falls.

Attached Files:

19. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    This was encountered on my atempt to get into the abandonded mines near Cobble Lake,before I headed on the northern route I described earlier.There was a great trail going in,but it got tougher,it was hot that day,I had a thunderstorm approaching and did not get to see the mine.(too grown in).

Attached Files:

20. Hektoglider

Oddometer:
    Some ghosted-out buildings on the way to the mine.More to follow..............

Attached Files: