Northern Ontario Riding Recommendations

Discussion in 'Canada' started by almajeremy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. almajeremy

almajeremy n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some recommendations on places to Ride in Northern Ontario. We are Michigan residents, so would prefer somewhere north of Sault St. Marie. We would like to get as far north as possible and would have a week or so to ride. I've never ridden in Canada, so I would appreciate any advice on regulations or permits that are required. We ride DR's and KLR's, and prefer single and two track riding. If anyone can point me in the direction of any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I checked into this recently. If your an American citizen, you
    have to get a camping permit. (I think it's 10 bucks)

Also you aren't allowed to camp with 500 meters of most lakes.

In our neck of the woods, (between Thunder Bay and Kenora),
    you can pretty well camp anywhere.

The nicest ride for you would be to come up through the Sault,
    then ride up alond the north shore. Take some time to stop and
    see what's off the main highway.

Check out post #9 in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3021352#post3021352

AS far as riding dirt, if you see a side road, and it's not marked "private"
    ride it and see where it goes. It's almost all "crown" land which means
    total public access.

These guys make the best backroads maps of my area I've ever seen:

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index-bm.php?bookId=nwont&region=ont

They also make a version on CD,

Let me know if you have area specific questions, I'll try to help out.

Hope this helps.
  3. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a good ride north of Kenora,Dryden area.There is a lot of good ADV riding there.I was on a XR650L,and just explored with the Backroads Mapbook.I loaded some routes into the Garmin and saved other ones as I road along.My general route included a logging road passage between Minaki,and Ear Falls via Manitou Falls.I treated myself to a good tent site at Blue Lake Park after the long dirt run.There is also a nice road north of there thru McIntosh(Gordon Lake road).Also,Eagle Lake First Nation has the Ojibway Road(near Dryden).This was a nice road too.There are many "free" campsites in nwo but the "pay" ones are less remote and have less black bear encounters.They are hungry and there are few blue berries this summer.
    The 622 can be 'linked' via Snake Bay road.I never done it because the sign said Wapageisi bridge not passable,but I just heard the sign is up but the bridge is still intact. Heading South on 622,I have some waypoints for a camp and another for a beach(nice).After crossing the Finlayson Bridge,take the second right turn(across Raft lake road)and follow the most beaten track,do-able on any dirt -style On/Off bike.This is the scenic off-road way into Atikokan thru the former Steep Rock Minesite.Follow it 'til you hit pavement(loop around open pit)and take right for the sure way and left for the dirt road,mine ruins,scenic overlook.This whole minesite is many days exploring by itself. You can go also north of Sapawe and come out between Ignace and Upsala,also cross from 11 to hwy 622 via Manion lake road.From Pigeon River there is a lot of back roads heading westerly with Kakabekka Falls in the area(Niagara of the North). I will be doing more routing here when I get another chance to go.(soon)
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    The bridge is gone at Wapagseie, but you can still get thhrough on a dirt bike.
    The bridge at turtle river on the Snake Bay road is burmed off, but we just rode over it.

There's also the Graham Road, which will run you from 40 km west of Upsala,
    all the way to Sapawe. (just outside of Atikokan)

There's another abandoned rail bed (rails are gone) that runs from Sioux Lookout al the way back down to Raith... a long scenic and interesting run in the dirt...

Put it this way 80% of our roads are dirt, some are jusar rumours of roads
    pick one and enjoy!!
  5. almajeremy

almajeremy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys! Sounds like a definite destination for next summers ride. I'm leaving tonight to ride the Upper Pennisula Dual Sport Safari for the next week, and I'm sure my friends and I will be talking about next year as soon as this ride is over.