Northern Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Some_Dude, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Work is posting me to Thunder Bay for two years. I’ve been through the area a number of times on the TransCanada and always thought it’d be an interesting place to live. Looks like fate is going to give me the chance.

For an ADV rider, what is there to check out in the region? I’ve spent a bit of time in the bush north of Kenora, but it wasn’t on a bike and nothing that far east. I imagine there’s mine and forestry in the region, but most of what I’m finding is online is in the Algoma area.
    cmattina and DyrWolf like this.
  2. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are tons of gravel roads , trails for you to get hurt on . What kind of bike do you ride , how good are you at off-road do you like riding alone ? We used to have an active group a few years back but it faded away , too bad . Maybe there is a new group of guys that still do a lot of trails , gravel in town and I just don’t know them .
    I don’t do much gravel anymore but if you want to kill some tall cans of beer look me up , also if you want to ride pavement .
    NorthRider
  3. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    KTM 790 R. I’m mediocre offroad. I’ve spent my life on bikes but never grew up on a dirt bike. ADV is a new direction for me. In Alberta I’ll put my bike down single track. In Ontario... I’m not sure my handlebars would fit between the trees. I eventually want a proper dirt bike for that kind of stuff, but I only have so much money to go around.

I like riding alone, but my taste for risk is suitably reduced.
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m with you there. I’ve done a lot of solo exploring of Quebec and Labrador, and I always turn tail and run when faced with a questionable obstacle. I rode with a couple buddies last summer, and we got into areas I never would have done solo. And alone or with people, always carry an inReach or Spot.

We’re currently planning a ride out to Lake Weagamow late summer, and to explore the roads around Lake Nipigon - both areas very close to Thunder Bay. Check ‘em out. The “holy grail” in the area is a route over the top of Lake Nipigon. Supposedly impossible due to overgrown logging roads and missing bridges, but definitely something I’d be doing in my free time if I were working in Thunder Bay.
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’ll have a great time riding your 790 around here . We even have a KTM dealer . Get the Backroads Map Book or you can probably loaded it into your GPS . You can do day rides or take some time and do part of the TCAT , you’ll never run out of places to ride . If the border is open by then you can do the Circle Tour ( around Lake Superior , paved ) . . there is also some good off-road riding in Northern Minnesota .
    NorthRider.
  6. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I saw a thread you started and did a map recce of the area. Various remnants of the of the Cold War up there if you’re into that sort of thing.

(Feels funny saying “up there” when ”Northern” Ontario 600km south...)
  7. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to get out all around there. My Mum lives in Southern Ontario so I’d like to take a few different alternate routes to get there. I’ve gone down through the Sault and up through Manitoulin before, but never around the whole lake. I’m usually driving through like I’m on a mission and don’t take the time to stop or explore anywhere. I’d kind of like to take my sweet ass time.
  8. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my 790 to that area last summer. You could do big loops out of Thunder Bay to Timmins and Sudbury and explore the logging roads in between, there's enough roads there to keep you entertained for years. I rode the road from Manitouwadge up to hwy 11. Also highway 556 is a nice twisty gravel road if you like that sort of thing.

I also heard there's great riding south of the border but I've never been in that part of the US.

Attached Files:

9. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    The exploring you can do from T-Bay to the Sault is an adventurers mecca.... so many abandoned towns, mines, mills.....and if you enjoy fishing... you'll never be bored !!
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  10. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I actually kind of hate fishing... but, maybe I just haven’t done it with the right people yet.
    gpfan likes this.
  11. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    I always go fishing with the right people.... because I do it alone... :rayof
    DyrWolf and Ronzo69 like this.
  12. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I go fishing, I leave the rod & reel and lures at home. More room for beer.
    James11, gpfan, EmmEff and 2 others like this.
  13. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for offshore fishing? Wife and I are leaving wednesday to spend 12 days doing a tour of northern Ontario. Taking our time so lots of places to fish so looking for ideas anywhere around Thunder Bay, hwy 17, hwy 129, etc. I know that's a massive area, but open to ideas for the best spots ;)
  14. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    @tennyis .. not really...spent most of my time west of T-Bay in and around Atikokan and Hwy #622 north. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to book a charter out of T-Bay..... Maybe @NORTH RIDER could give you better pointers for that.

I will say, that almost any river you cross or lake you ride past will have fish of some type accessible from shore. Best of Luck!!
  15. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do plan to make a day ride to Quetico PP on one of the days we are in TBay. The plan for fishing was just to cast a line whenever the mood strikes us but always open to trying out others fishin holes ;)
    Millwright98 likes this.