Northern PA...What's the story?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PrkChps, May 23, 2020.

1. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    OK, we have been locked down long enough. Thinking about a ride from MA to Ohio via US Route 6, mainly across PA. Any inmates there who can give me the real deal on restaurants / motels in the northern tier of PA? The spousal unit will not camp, so that's out, and we'd rather actually sit in a restaurant than bring take out back to the hotel. Thanks in advance, because on-the-ground info is hard to come by in all the Covid static.

Also, let's not have this turn into an argument on whether or not I should ride. You do you. I'll do me. Thanks!
  2. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on lodging.....but pretty sure no restaurants in PA are dine-in.
    Take-out or delivery are the options.
  3. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently all restaurants at least in Eastern PA are still take out only, I'm not aware of lodging but it's my understanding lodging is considered essential services but best to make a reservation first to be sure. You'll have no issues getting fuel and dealership service/parts departments are open. Go ride and enjoy yourself and let the stay at home crowd stay home
  4. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Won't head out for a couple more weeks, but I do appreciate the straight scoop.
  5. zeeklu

zeeklu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was out from NJ a week ago. Cedar Run (Susquehannock State Forest) and east. Like everybody said, take out only. Some places have picnic tables that you can use. I don't know if that's allowed but nobody seems to mind. Nobody gave me a second look.
  6. jeffeasy

jeffeasy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just hiked the Pine Creek west rim trail this weekend which is in North-Central PA. Restaurants are open and they seem to have picnic tables available for use, but they are still takeout only. It looked like most of the small motel places were still operational.

I had to drop my dad off in Butler on my way home to Pittsburgh, so the GPS had us take rt 6 from Colton Point to Kane. If you're into putting along at 45 behind old men towing campers in pickup trucks, then rt 6 will be a dream come true. Otherwise, I'd look into an alternate route.

Have fun!
  7. C.Hensley

C.Hensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what is or isn't open but check out Kinza bridge on your ride as its it's not to far off of rt.6 and is really cool. Also don't get suckered into visiting "the ice cave" complete tourist trap...and fake lol

Oh and have a great ride!
  8. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome I'd be out there riding myself but I broke two fingers on my right hand so I'm sidelined for the next several weeks :-(
  9. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I believe Northern PA is opening up more this friday, with restaurants being allowed to operate, but with reduced capacity. I know the next county north has a great brewery that I plan to hit very soon! I'm lucky to live close to ohio, rode that way last week, stopped and had a beer at a brewery, it was amazing, and felt so good to be out and about, enjoying a beer someplace other than my yard!!!
    That said, there are many small motels along rt 6, I don't think lodging will be a problem, but probably best to plan ahead and maybe make reservations. IMHO, the best PA riding is south of Rt 6, most roads that head south of 6 are simply fantastic, and much better than 6, which is rather boring. Some decent little towns along 6, also some not so decent.
  10. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    I love riding in PA, and get there as often as possible. Always found friendly people. We are considering a run across Rt 6 because the final destination is Mentor, Ohio, where my son lives. I'd like to come back via central PA, where I know the roads are amazing. One day's ride out of MA on the slab puts me in motorcycle heaven every time. Thanks for the info!
    bikerfish likes this.