Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    I am thinking the main group that were active in the thread are just no longer riding, or posting. I had considered storing a bike down south. I think Hektoglider has / or had one stored in Vegas. I remember reading a ride report called the Mobius Trip where they purchased bikes and road the TAT 2 weeks at a time over a few years. They would ride for a week or 2 of their vacation, store the bikes and riding/camping gear in a locker and repeat on the next vacation. They would rent the smallest locker they could get, unhook the batteries drain fuel, take the bars off and lay them sideways to fit everything including bags and gear into the locker and fly home in sneakers, jeans and tshirts. It seemed like a pretty cool way to do things.
    cmattina and ACR like this.
  2. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there done that! 292 kms from Sioux Lookout to Ear Falls if I remember right.
    Could use a hand saw...or just take the roads lol.
    First time I did that was on my 525 ktm, with a jerry can strapped to the front fender. Fuel was tight that day.

MFS
    cmattina likes this.
  3. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah i wasn't sure how well traveled it is. Of course by this time in the season, people will have already been through.

I think without an oversized tank I'd be bringing fuel as well. But, with ear falls as a halfway mark, it is pretty good.
  4. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    when i was riding the AZBDR, i met a rider from Red Lake who was on a KTM690. he owned a home in the Florence Az area and would fly down about every 3 weeks in the winter. he was surprised that i knew where Red Lake was and had actually been there a couple times. gold miner, name might have been Ron. he said the flights were pretty cheap into Phoenix booked well in advance.
    cmattina likes this.
  6. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Thanks. When I first started reading your post I thought "he must be thinking Red Lake, MN, or Red Deer"... But the rest of the story checks out!

When was this??

I have never seen a KTM in town, but I can do some investigating.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    2014, approaching a nasty washed out ascent on the AZBDR. nice guy, very good rider aboard that 690. he had some crazy shift schedule at the mine that allowed him to get down to AZ pretty often. near unlimited riding down there, especially on a 690. i think he bought the 690 in AZ and doesn't move it back and forth. he said the typical temperature delta between Florence and Red Lake was 100F in the winter.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    went back to check my notes, indeed "Ron" from Red Lake. i actually met him at Government Wells while scouting a back way over Pioneer Pass, no go there. we backtracked to the AZBDR, and ascended the pass on that route. the last few miles in very bad shape at the time, especially for a big bike loaded for travel. one little slip, you're dead. this was just a day trip for Ron, no gear, and no problem with that 690.
  9. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone around the area have any old Yamaha BW bikes or parts hanging around to sell?

If you do, please let me know. I got bitten by the big wheel bug

I kinda want a TW now too so i can ride on the road
  10. Air-cooledkick-start

Air-cooledkick-start n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Smashy,

I see you did Caramat Road. Did you ever do any of the other rides?

I live in Blind River and bought a KLR last year. I'm new to riding and dual sporting, and would say I "suck" at off-roading, too, although I'm trying to get better. I've been exploring a few northern Ontario backroads this summer, and have been fooling around on Google looking for interesting roads to explore. I wondered how those other roads were.
  11. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I chickened out :(

My big concern with those roads isn't the terrain but the remoteness. If something happened to me or my bike I would probably be waiting a really long time before somebody came along to help, and walking to find help isn't feasible given the vast distances.

I've been riding a lot of dirt/gravel roads here in southern ontario to try to get better at offroad riding. And I did ride hwy 556 (ranger lake rd) along its entire length which isn't far from you.

I did find this: http://www.gotourontario.ca/Home/Plan?lng=en
    Click that, then under "choose your travel type" select ADV, then you can select a route and it'll show it on the map. Looks like a lot of good routes all over northern Ontario.
  12. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone from the Thunder Bay Area plan on attending the Minnesota North shore Shindig ? It takes place in Finland , MN on September 12 to the 15 . Lots of off-road riding as well as easy gravel and great paved roads .

North Rider
    GearDrivenCam likes this.
  13. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had never heard of it previously. Just searched it and read the entire thread on ADV. It seems like a pretty cool weekend event. I'll be deep into classes at that time. But still might decide to do it at the last minute. Is Pete coming?

Mike
  14. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    The North Shore Shindig has been going on for a few years now . It started out just a few guys at JWalters place and when it got too big for for his place it moved to the campground . Loosely organized . You are on your own for everything . If anyone is interested in going from the Thunder Bay Area and would like to ride down together let me know .

North Rider
    BackRoader likes this.
  15. cmattina

Oddometer:
    You should invest in a spot. The "need help" feature is great for that kind of thing

PS. just noticed that you're in Toronto so the "need help" might not do a whole lot for you. However, what i have told other inmates in the past, if they are up near here, is to add me to their spot mail list if they are going to be near me.
  16. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    B114052D-948B-4656-A00A-558092BF5C3B.jpeg 2B141E2F-5D51-49B1-80A2-9E5E41CC7D14.jpeg 8FB676EA-A30C-4193-A4E2-D9B1E2006740.jpeg Spent a few days in the Vermillion Bay Area.
    Did some two up riding and checked out a number sites. There are some great back roads with little to no traffic during the week.
    Red Lake, Ear Falls, Eagle River.
    Vikingtazz, Klay, windplay and 3 others like this.
  17. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Last pic is about 100 meters from my place. Shoulda hit me up
  18. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Didn’t see an ADV flag on your house.... lol
    The hiway from the Bay was in great shape and provided for some exhilarating moments!
    cmattina likes this.
  19. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got 175 miles in today . Probably the last ride of the year for me . Time to give the bike a good clean and put it away . It was a great day around Thunder Bay . Saw quite a few bikes riding around . I went to Upsula for a piece ( 2 pieces truth be told ) of apple pie at the XTR gas station . Came back through Kekabeka Falls and down Oliver road .
    Hope everyone had a great riding season .

North Rider
  20. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best butter tarts on the entire planet are in Upsula! Safe winter mate.
    GearDrivenCam likes this.