Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was one but it was fixed a few week to a month ago. It was close to the beginning of the 804, by manitou.

There may be another one though
  2. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Hi benwr,

I rode the trail from Kenora up to this point June 30:
    https://goo.gl/maps/MZQKeRsn9AFHEvez9

There's a water crossing there, looks like there's always water across to some degree. There was some heavy rain in the weeks prior, there was lots of vegetation pushed up creating a ridge you'd have to go over or dig out a bit. The part that stopped me was the additional water coming through had deposited about a foot of super sticky mud under the water. Riding solo, I wimped out. It's been a couple of weeks since, so might be ok by now.
  3. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Ben, myself and a buddy rode that section of the TCAT a few years ago, myself on a Gen 2 KLR, my buddy Reg on a DL650 Wee Strom. That section indicated by Gaulin is pretty rough, becoming overgrown, and is not maintained. Pretty sure that spot that's impassable is where we came to a section of small baby head type boulders in a dry creek bed that crossed the road. That's really remote up there, and according to an Ontario Hydro worker we chatted with at the pumps at Ear Falls, a path (very much) less traveled, even by locals. He was surprised we'd gone thru there.

So here's a question for you Ontario guys with "local knowledge" - the next section of the TCAT goes from Ear Falls, up and around Lac Seul to Sioux Lookout. The Hydro worker told us that that "road" was in similar or worse shape than we just came thru! He told us Hydro workers took the logging roads around the south side of the lake instead. After hearing this, we bailed, just headed south to Vermilion Bay.

So how many guys have "really" gone around the north side of Lac Seul? I suspect not many. It's a very long way around, 283 kms according to the .gpx track, very remote, and gas would be an issue if you had to turn around.
    MFS and gpfan like this.
  4. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Two of us from Minnesota rode around Lac Seul in 2016 on 650cc sized motos, starting in Kenora and riding towards Ear Falls. It was good hard gravel, fine on the heavier moto (compared to 250cc) but remote. There were two "fords" across small dry streams. Because of the good road surface, I hit one way too fast and went airborne...dumb move that far in the bush. There were some navigation challenges as we got closer to Shabaqua Corner, following a rail road bed that eventually was flooded. We asked at a camp and used a newly built road.

You have to go through Redit, north of Kenora. The section of the TCAT route we initially tried routed east of Redit and dead ends at a gated mine. We thought about sliding the motos under the gate, but didn't. The way around the gate was blocked with boulders and trees.

Screenshot (30).png
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Have you guys done more of the TCAT, carrying on to Thunder Bay, etc... if so, what'd you think? That's pretty remote backcountry that loops thru.
    gpfan likes this.
  6. MikeS

Oddometer:
    We came out onto the TransCanada west of Shabaqua Corners. There's some fun dirt riding starting south of Shabaqua Corners that goes east towards Nolalu that would be a fun part of a TCAT ride. I think the Boreal Road can be accessed from Shabaqua Corners. Someone from Thunder Bay can chime in on how to go. It's been a few years since I've gone through there and I don't have any gps tracks or solid memory any more. One time through I asked at the gas station there, and the fellow knew where the road south started. Quads and snow machines use that route east.

Send a pm to CZulu; he probably has more information to share, or may chime in here.

Unfortunately for me the border is closed. I have a number of Great White North adventures that are not fulfilled. We have a president down here who is more concerned about his political standing and twitter account than he is about the future and the health of the citizens down here. Don't you guys EVER complain about your PM!
  7. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am wondering if that is washed out, can you just keep heading north and connect to the 804:

Original route:

upload_2020-7-17_18-48-30.png

Secondary Route
    upload_2020-7-17_18-47-24.png
  8. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    From Kashabowie on Hwy 11 actually. A few years back, we intended to do that, and I made a .gpx track for the Boreal Rd, leaving from Kakabeka Falls. We wound up holing up there at Kakebeka Falls, as it rained hard for 2 days straight - we thought it unwise to go that way after that.

Attached Files:

gpfan likes this.
  9. MikeS

Oddometer:
    One of those two routes I took with CZulu. It's an adventure... We actually made two different attempts at the TCAT, one failing at a closed road at a mine. Failing to make the destination is not a failed trip. There are camps around so many roads are kept open. There's a Reserve back in there somewhere, between Redit and Ear Falls as I recall, with gas at the store.

I recall some wet spots along the way; I was on a F650 thumper with a different buddy from the States on a KLR. I bet it was the Boreal Rd. I know we both failed to keep our motos vertical for the whole excursion, so it was a successful adventure. When I can cross the border again, I'll be able to day ride that area some more and return by night and sleep in my own bed. Fun area to explore.
  10. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I have been reading about the Rail Bed ( the Old CN Graham Sub).
    When Wagner Forest took it over, they have closed it to general travel. A permit is now required.
    My cousin and her husband operate a tourist camp north of the Silver Dollar. They told me Wagner has closed many forest roads off into certain areas. That limits access to lakes.
  11. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've been over the top of lac seul a few times. First on my ktm 525 with a jerry can strapped to front fender. Been a few years, but this time tomorrow I'll have done it once more on the Guzzi.
    I''ve ridden that and the Ear falls run past longlegged lake to Kenora in the same day heading to Manitoba. But tommorrow it'll just be around lac seul and slab home.

MFS
  12. windplay

windplay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad that American companies can take over the trails and not have to maintain them but want money for public to access them. $15 per day or $70 annual for residents.
  13. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone that has plans to come back to the area from Brandon MB in the near future?

There is a Yamaha BW80 I am interested in for my daughter, but don't see us heading to Manitoba for leisure with the current state of affairs

There is a case of beer or gas money in it for you.
  14. windplay

windplay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to a report on Lac Seul. Been meaning to do a circle of it. Had a guy who stayed with me do it last year on a drz400 no problem but took him 9 hours to get to Tbay from Sioux due to bypassing wash outs trying to ride the rail bed past Silver Dollar. Apparently a raft is needed lol.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Very nice of others to scout ahead, and share conditions. I've never seen pics from anyone that's been around the top (of Lac Seul) in any TCAT related threads. I think we're about to see some (pics) from MFS :thumbup

I would consider riding that one of the more remote sections of the TCAT, and no small accomplishment.
    gpfan likes this.
  16. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, mission accomplished for the Lac Seul run. North of Sioux to Slate fall, LOTS of activity due to power line going in. Passed 3rd graders working the road and multiple logging/power line workers vehicles.
    Once you turn west it's more fun. Road is excellent. Only challenge really is not getting lazy. Its a gravel road all the way around to Ear Falls. Watch your speed and traffic! Worst obstacle is yourself up there.
    286 kms from gas station to gas station.
    I used 12.5 liters in the Guzzi.
    Pic posted is at the 156 km mark. I always stop there, is the only "scenic" view 20200720_111900.jpg

However....so I'm not repeating myself check in on the Winnipeg forum the next day or two. I've got a cautionary tale on the road from Ear Fall to Reddit/Kenora....
    Spent 15 hours on my bike today. Or I should say, with my bike...
    20200720_160815.jpg
    *hint* I'm waist deep in a beaver pond.

MFS
  17. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Where is that beaver pond on the ride from Ear Falls to Reddit? roughly.
  18. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I think he stayed with me too!
    windplay likes this.
  19. kjf_wpg

kjf_wpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, the wife and I are heading out Wednesday to do a bit of tour of Northern Ontario for 12 days, unfortunately pavement and hotels only. The plan is to get on 17 at Sudbury and head as far as Thunder Bay, stay for 3 or 4 nights then make our way home. No long days riding, more of a site seeing trip. Open to ideas for museums(if even open), hiking, fishing, restaurants, etc. I've been to sleeping giant before and plan to take her to see that and do some hiking, and we found the eagle canyon suspension bridge and zip line but it looks like the zip line is closed due to covid. Anyways, open to ideas, this is our first vacation together and time away from the kids ever, so I want to make sure she has a great time, even with the covid issues :)