Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tennyis - if you plan to visit Sleeping Giant again - I would definitely recommend the Thunder Bay Lookout. You can ride right up to it. The road is on the right just pass Joeboy Lake. It's dirt, but usually in decent shape. About 9 Kms to the lookout. The views are pretty stunning. There is a pier that sticks out from the cliff edge that you walk on that's pretty breathtaking. I would also recommend hiking the Top of the Giant Trail. Granted - it's an "all day hike" - so not sure if that's too ambitious (about 10AM to 6PM kind of hike from parking lot back to parking lot). If you want something similar but less time intensive - I would recommend the Head Trail. It climbs the giant's head and you can access it from either the Kabenung Trail Head or the Sawbill Lake Trail Head (I think it's a bit shorter of a walk from the latter). Both climbs involve greater than a 300 m gain in elevation, so they are a good leg workout. I have done some volunteer work for Sleeping Giant Park and am out there often (with the exception of this year) so have some familiarity with this area.
  2. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Same area as Sleeping Giant; stop at the Silver Islet museum at the Provincial Park. Then to to the end of the road to where the mining was based out of. You can't see the actual mine. It's behind the first island, but worth the exploration and history.
    GearDrivenCam likes this.
  3. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did that lookout a couple years ago and it was amazing, bit of a weird feeling walking out on that metal grate! I don't recall the road being to bad, not sure I want to tackle it 2 up and 1700km from home but I can always get my wife to walk up sections if needed.
    I'll look into the hikes you mentioned, my wife would love them! I'm a bit hesitant as a fat fucker lol Not sure I could handle that haha. Maybe i'll drop her off and go riding while she hikes it LOL.

I road down to that area last time, very little "town". I was hoping for new areas to go that I hadn't been to before, but I think that sleeping giant is the place to go, at least spend 1 full day there.
  4. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    @tennyis

Ouimet canyon is worth the side trip.
    tennyis likes this.
  5. gepeze

gepeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. gepeze

gepeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes thats the one. Couple pics from the top. The first 40 min is a little challenging but worth the view. Once you're up top it is easy going, the trail ends at the top of a waterfall then you come back the same way. P6240010.JPG P6230006.JPG
    MNimum, tennyis and GearDrivenCam like this.
  8. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan to camp at Sleeping Giant, the park is pretty well booked right now, so it might be a challenge to get a site. I like the 300 numbered sites across Marie Louise-Lake, because each site has a spot with typically lots of privacy - and on the water - to take a dip. There are 4 "walk-in" sites (my favourite) and 6 pull in sites (which would be more suitable for bike travel, as you would have your bike right on the site with you). There are only 2 outhouses though at the 300s, so if you want flush toilets - you would need to drive north on the dirt road (Marie-Louise Lake drive) and loop back onto highway 587 and drive back through the park gatehouse. Site 313 is still a walk-in - so lots of privacy - but it's a short trail (maybe only 10 meters) so you would be able to see your bike. A few years ago, some ADV'ers rode to this site and I surprised them with some ice cold ones as they were setting up camp.

If you like waterfalls - I'm partial to Pigeon River Falls (A.K.A. High Falls) at the Canadian/U.S. border. To me - it's much nicer than Kakabeka with a much more spectacular drop. You can park at the Ontario Travel Information Centre and then walk a trail that crosses under the highway and leads up to the falls. The walk is about 30 minutes with some gain in elevation - but overall a pretty easy walk on the Canadian side. You can also hike the "Finger Point Trail" out into Lake Superior for some nice scenic views as well.

Mike
  9. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome thank you! I will check it out for sure.

awesome thank you for all of the tips! Unfortunately for me the wife does not want to camp, she was open to it a few nights of the trip but I didn't want to haul all the gear around for a few nights. We have an air bnb for 4 nights in Thunder Bay. Pigeon River Falls looks great! It's about an hour's ride from the hotel so I could probably combine it with Kakabeka falls to fill in the better part of a day with the riding included.
    GearDrivenCam likes this.
  10. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to do both falls - I would recommend doing the Devon Road (Hwy 593 and Hwy 588) and going the "back way" to visit these places. Of course - you can do a big loop by going south on Hwy 61 from Thunder Bay down to Pigeon River, and then heading back and taking 593 (Devon Road) and then heading right onto 588 and then left onto 590 into Kakabeka. That is a nice ride. Pretty rugged. And then lots of farm fields. The Devon Road is pretty twisty in places - so it's fun - and a popular riding road. Just be careful for gravel and other debris on the surface. Just go slow.

Mike
    tennyis and BackRoader like this.
  11. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    In a couple of weeks I am going to ride out to BC from Mississauga. On my way out west, I'm looking for interesting roads between Thunder Bay and Kenora. I was looking at the 502 and the 622 as roads that might be more twisty, scenic and less travelled than the 11 or 17. I have only ridden as far as Thunder Bay in the past, so I don't even know what to expect from the 11 or 17 on the east side of Kenora

Are both the 502 and 622 both paved? I'll be on street tires and would like to ride one of them on my way out west and the other on my way home if they are in decent shape and worth the ride.

Also, any suggestions on places to stay either in or near Kenora at night?
    Ideally a motel where I can park my bike right outside my window.

Many thanks!
  12. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Both are paved but 502 was finished last fall and a much better road. Keep in mind there is no fuel on that 160km road. I live 15 mins from the south junction of hwy 11 and I ride it all the time, especially now that the border is closed. FD2906FE-7D6C-4DEA-BD2B-5D178BB9F777.jpeg
    gpfan and GearDrivenCam like this.
  13. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks for the info and picture!
    It looks like there is a gas stop in Atikokan which would work, otherwise I could fill up in Fort Frances and then backtrack to the 502. I'm riding a V-Strom650 and will fill up just before leaving Thunder Bay and usually get around 350km/tank.

By the way, is that a TL1000s? Nice bike.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  14. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Yes, it’s a TL, I’ve had it since new. If you fill up in Atikokan you should be good til Dryden, otherwise there is a Shell station 15km east of Fort.
    gpfan and shanekingsley like this.
  15. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cleaning out the garage, used tires in Kenora:

Heidenau K60 120/90-18 $45
    IRC Trails GP-21F 90/90-21 $25
    Dunlop K760 90/90-21 $20 20200804_182845.jpg 20200804_183035.jpg 20200804_183043.jpg 20200804_183141.jpg
  16. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Jim has given you all the info you really need but I will throw some more to ya anyway.:wings

I‘ve also been riding these roads more this year than for a long time as mostly jump across border for my jaunts. In fact I rode 622 for first time and it’s gorgeous. But so is 502 and a bit farther west is 71 which is supposedly on some best 10 roads in Canada list ?
    If you have time go to Atikokan and then 622 north to 71 (Trans Canada) then west to 502 south down to Fort Frances then west and 71 back up to Trans Canada the west you go to BC.
    If no time then catch the ones you miss on return trip.
    Have a safe trip eh.
    BB
    Jimo368 likes this.
  17. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I’m coming from Wawa that morning, so it makes riding all three of them in one day a 1300km day, sandwiched around 1100kms days... Not the ideal way to start my trip!

I’ll check out the ones I skip on the way home for sure.
  18. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Interseting, I rode from Wawa to home yesterday arriving hour before I answered your post.
    Way to much for one day but if you were staying TBay or Kakabeka Falls area would possibly work.
    Looks like your bombing west so maybe on return.
    I’m sure if guys in each region gave you roads to ride and you tried em all you’d be on a multi year trip then.
    Take care
  19. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a gas station about 10 km west of the start of the 502. so you dont need to go all the way to fort to top off.
  20. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks - It will be a long day from Wawa, but I'll get an early start and am really looking forward to it.