Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the tips guys, the trip was a huge success and the wife and I had a fantastic time! We certainly made the most of our time in Tunder Bay! We did the suspension bridge at Eagle Canyon, Ouimet Canyon PP, Sleeping Giant PP (Thunder Bay lookout and a hiking trail), Kekabeka falls, Silver falls PP, Bluffs Loop, Pigeon River Falls, Fort William Historical Park (gong show!) and the Thunder Bay Museum. All 3 days we had jammed packed, did a bunch of hiking, ate a ton of food! Total the trip was 12 days with 4 nights spent in Thunder Bay (3 days exploring). 4000km almost on the dot round trip. The wife's already asking where we are going to go next year! Glad to be back to work today to have a chance to relax after this trip LOL

The road up to the Thunder Bay lookout was easily done 2up, no issues at all.
  2. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I’m currently in Dryden, just stopped for lunch at subway on my way to Kenora for the night and then westward to B.C. I stopped in Atikokan for gas and for some reason could not get the bike to shift down from top gear.

I think my clutch cable is about to break because I haven’t had to adjust it in the last 20k and now have had to adjust it a fair bit at the lever in the last 200km.

Is there a place I can get a new cable ordered and repaired at?

My bike is a 2011 DL650 and I have some tools on me, so if I can get the cable I might have the right tools be able to install it myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

being Sunday most shops are closed, but there is a Can Tire here and a NAPA auto parts...
    Thanks!!
  3. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt you will have any luck with CT or Napa. Best bet would be to limp it to Suzuki in winnipeg. Only clutch when you absolutely have to.

I'm in Kenora and if I can help let me know. Garage full of tools.
  4. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much. I will make as many adjustments as I can and see if I can get it to Kenora for now where I already have a motel booked.
    For some reason when I did the last adjustment at the lever it was fine to pull in and out, but as I rode up the 622 (just staying in high gear the whole way), by the time I reached the top of the 622 at theTrans Canada, it had regressed to what it was earlier. I’m just nervous about getting stranded between Dryden and Kenora!
  5. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Shane
    If you have the confidence you should be able to stay mobile even if cable snaps.

You can, with engine off, get it into neutral and running.
    Then by pushing (or have someone push you) or get coasting downhill, then snick it into gear and shift clutchless till you get to next town.
    Definitely can’t ride like this in the hills of Kenora but should get you off the highwa
    shanekingsley likes this.
  6. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I see that Fort one sells a Motion Pro cable but who knows how long that will take for delivery. Or might just see if it can make it up to Winnipeg tomorrow.

I did do an adjustment at the bottom of the cable and hopefully can make it to Kenora.

There almost no adjustment left in the cable at either end so fingers crossed I make it to Kenora without major issue.

Ben, thanks for your offer and I will keep you posted!
  7. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the ride. Text me if you need help. I rode from the Gaspe Pennsylvania with a clutch cable that was about to let go on my KLR. Could not find the proper cable on the way, but ended up getting the closest fit with the plan to zip tie it to the old one.

It was frayed and was holding on by a thread. If yours is just stretched and not breaking, I would be confident in making it to Winnipeg.

Ben
  8. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Well that’s good to know considering Winnipeg is just a couple hours away.

I’m in Kenora now and just checked in. Clutch is getting a bit worse, but I’m hopeful it will hold for another few hours and then I have an assortment of zip ties to hopefully jerryrig something together if it fails on the way.

I’ll touch base with the dealerships there and see if I should be so lucky that they have it in stock, otherwise I can wait here for a bit if needed.

Again - really appreciate your willingness to help out Ben:)
    benwr likes this.
  9. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    The Suzuki dealer is in Ile-Des-Chenes, 10 minutes south of Winnipeg on Hiway 59 off the south perimeter Hiway. Start posting on the Winnipeg thread as there are many ADVrs alway willing to help out.
  10. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I have a spare DRZ cable that I keep zip tied to the original just in case. Not sure if it’s the same but it has the 90 degree bend at the bottom end. I’m in Fort Frances, so you are probably closer to Adventure Power products than you are to me. I picked up parts there before and they had what I needed in stock.
  11. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to ride to Fort Frances today, but headed north after Atikokan. Appreciate the offer and tomorrow morning I'll call around and see what options the dealerships in Manitoba can do.
    Cheers.
  12. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    If you don't have a solution, ask about a "universal motorcycle clutch/brake cable kit". It's the internal cable plus a lot of ends. I actually carry one in my moto, but I can't help you. I'm south of Thunder Bay, across the border in "Covid country". See https://www.amazon.com/GT-Speed-Uni...4R44QDY6ZJV&psc=1&refRID=7H5ZDXT184R44QDY6ZJV to understand what you're looking for. I've used it once, and it worked for weeks, for the duration of my trip.
    GearDrivenCam and BackRoader like this.
  13. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I'd even just get that as a spare like you did.
    MikeS likes this.
  14. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not a mechanic, but would a bicycle brake cable from canadian tire with a nut at the end work in a pinch?

a nut like this:

[​IMG]
  15. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    *Goes to buy a new cable, leaves with a new Moto Guzzi. That’s what would probably happen to me.
  16. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get your cable sorted in WPG?
  17. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    HI Ben,

Thanks for asking Ben - it's been a few long days on the bike!
    I went to Adventure Power Products and they didn't have it in stock and said 1 week for it. I called Chudd's in Gimli and others across Manitoba and Saskatchewan and all the same thing. I re-adjusted the clutch at the lever and at the clutch assembly in Kenora, in the hopes that I may not not tightened up something properly, or didn't set properly and decided to make a run for it. I ended up in Moose Jaw last night and there was a minor amount of increased slack at the lever after 850km, so I readjusted this morning. I decided to check out dealerships in Alberta and all the same story including Blackfoot. I rode another 1000km on it today, ending up in Radium Hot Springs, BC and it's still great with zero change. Tomorrow off to Fort St James in Northern BC.

It seems that if a clutch cable is going to fail, it will show signs of fraying at either end of the cable (usually the top), but mine looks fine on both ends. It must have been my mistake with something when I adjusted it at home before leaving. I'm just surprised it took 1600km to show up as a problem in Atikokan. Regardless, I will order a cable and have it delivered to my sisters in Vancouver and swap it out there or just keep it on me as a backup.

Again - I really appreciate everyone's offers for help and input. I'm glad I have my tool kit!
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]
  18. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    Wow dude, you are covering ground eh.
    Did you notice the prairies? :imaposer
  19. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    lol
    I actually really enjoyed riding across them. I was kind of dreading it, but it was very peaceful.
    It was pretty windy between Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat, so I am glad to have that part over with. I'm looking forward to the tail winds on the way home!
    Here's some pics from northern Ontario and Manitoba/Saskatchewan.

North Shore of Lake Superior
    [​IMG]

What is the name of the town where this bridge is at? I think it started with a 'C' - probably called "Couldn't See"
    [​IMG]

Some backroad near Adventure Power Products:
    [​IMG]

The lonely highway near Moose Jaw:
    [​IMG]
    Klay and thwak like this.
  20. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    That would be Nipigon.
    Bit of history with the bridge in your pic.

Glad you’ve made your destination province.
    Carry on safety.:rayof