1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Looking on Google Earth I'd say yes...I'd give it a go!
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    If it were just me, I wouldn't think twice - worst case I have to turn around.
    My father will be with me and a riding buddy, so I thought it might be prudent to see if anyone can confirm the route.
    I'll be on a T7, my dad on his KLR gen 2, and Jimmy on his 250 Rally. We're starting in Thessalon or Iron Bridge and (sort of) doing the Algoma loop.
    Thessalon > Chapleau > Wawa > Sault, and hitting whatever dirt roads we can find.
    Lappeman and GearDrivenCam like this.
  3. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google "Roads on Chapleau Crown Game Preserve". You might find a couple of maps that'll help.

The run up to the campground on Missinaibi Lake is pretty nice too, if you're looking to explore more.

https://goo.gl/maps/165uc1ZmL27jvnJ57
    gpfan and Vikingtazz like this.
  4. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sturge - will do.
    sturgeon likes this.
  5. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did it at the tender age of 63, solo, part way through a 5-week trip. It wasn't terribly difficult, if you're worried about your dad.
    gpfan and Vikingtazz like this.
  6. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Slight change of plans after working through logistics.
    We've secured a cabin for 4 nights midway up the 129 and will loop out from that location for the first day, then do a ride up through Chapleau Crown Game Preserve to Dalton, then on to Wawa where we'll stay the night, and finally back to the cabin the next day. That way we can leave our gear at one location for most of our riding, taking only an overnight bag for the Wawa section.

Looks like there's a path that links 546 and 108 through Matinenda PP by using a section of the hydro line. We're going to explore there and see if it's reasonable.
    I didn't bother to map the paved sections, but here's the planned ride for day 1.

Attached Files:

GearDrivenCam likes this.
  7. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Day 1 con't:

Attached Files:

GearDrivenCam likes this.
  8. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    That is a pole line road and used for snowmobile trail(winter) and ATV trail(summer). Quite a bit of logging done in southern part a few years ago and should be fine. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Trail turns west a couple of hundred yards south of Little White River Road(546) but pole line continues north across road. A look at the OFSC trail map for the area may help out.
    Vikingtazz and GearDrivenCam like this.
  9. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Thanks John, appreciate the heads up.
  10. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Long Cold KLR 650 Dual Sport Ride...

GearDrivenCam and borderlinebob like this.
  11. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video and a great ride that day . It sure made winter go by a lot faster . The BMW is gone . I was planning on going out tomorrow on my T700 but just looked and my plate expired last October .

NorthRider
  12. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride! Hopefully the snow will melt quickly and we'll get out again somewhere! Tuk isn't looking that great for this summer unfortunately. This Covid shit will continue!
  13. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode to Nipigon and back today . I don’t have any heated clothing and did not need to turn on the heated grips . Was it warm ? No, but I had a lot colder rides . The good : bike’s runs great , the seat seemed more comfortable than I remember.
    The bad : I got FAT(ER) during the winter . My KLIM suit was stretched to it’s limit . Also I got SHORTER . Can only Tippy Toe the bike now and have a problem swinging the leg over the seat .
    NorthRider
  15. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Lmao..... time to look at the Low Carb Life style or go shopping for new gear!
  16. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Can sure relate to this.
    My Rev’It Sand 3 pants were snug when I got them bout 3 years ago and I spent way more than I should have and can’t afford new ones; so—-
    that’s my incentive over the winter to “watch” the waist.
    Ok again this spring.

But, WTF, my foot keeps hitting the seat as I swing leg over.
    Just said to Mrs yesterday, this bike is getting taller ever time it comes out of storage.
    Hmmm— never thought maybe I’m getting shorter.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle and everyone have a great-safe season.
    Eastbayview likes this.
  17. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I helped my neighbour move his F800GS yesterday out the storage shed. That bike was heavy and a lot taller than the F800 I had 13 years ago. Funny how we change over time.
    Eastbayview and sturgeon like this.
  18. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    Well the time has come. I listed my 2010 F800GS. With the new hip it is just too tall a bike and with medical restrictions i cannot swing my leg over it so it needs to find a new home. It is listed on Thunder bay Kijiji for $6500 but I am a motivated seller so if anyone in the ADV community has a reasonable offer i may be open to it.

Want to build a sauna and a shed at camp so would even consider 2019 priced 2x4s and plywood in the payment plan.

I need to come up to Winnipeg and Thunder Bay sometime in April with my trailer so delivery may also be in the cards if you can wait.

Here is the kijiji link https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...sary-edition-bmw-f800gs-motorcycle/1556533490
  19. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone (real) contacts you looking to have the bike shipped I know a few companies that can do it for around 400-500. Might help with sale. I just posted a bike on Thunder Bay and Winnipeg kijiji and had a few people from Southern Ontario contact me.

I ended up getting a 950 shipped up from Sudbury.
    sturgeon, gpfan and Eastbayview like this.
  20. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    Well the BMW has found a new home. Local guy bought it. I think it will continue to have a good life and get used for what it was built to do. Down to 2 bikes. The 2010 F650gs and my 2016 Honda crf250l. That will probably be the full fleet for a while to come
    BackRoader and GearDrivenCam like this.