1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. revitup

revitup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ( NOTE First Two Posts Cut and pasted from Ontario North West Passage, more interest here I think?)

Post 1

Here's my two cents worth. We tried last August, East to West: up from Herkett to Armstrong via the Black Sturgion , wow fantastic,nice hard packed clay, wide double track then down to single. Had some chicken and gassed up in Armstrong ( on KLR and KTM 690enduro R) headed east out past the air port and kept on going. Using The back road maps...pikitigushi rd, jackfish, ketchekan, Toronto, all nice double track heading east. But now time to head south ( before you hit the mine and restricted yellow fence. We were told by the locals to take 107 or 103 down heading south...Ya right, hardly a clearing, very, very, overgrowen double track to spot anything that looked like even a TRAIL.. We took the most western (wrong road, walked in 1.5 ks came to a massive man made barricade/rocks/ditch, had to go back no gas. Will come back in 2021) now thinking the correct one is the most western trail down to about Frank Lake road.

Will keep you guys posted when we try again this year....a couple of things, you must have a chain saw or swage saw, blow downs (8"dia or larger in some areas every 100 ft. Be in good shape, we walked in at least 1.5 ks in and 1.5 out to see if it was doable ( at least 30 -40 big blow downs, climb over under)...just on that section, and light bikes. To get through I think it would take a chain saw and a "work crew" ( an army) the more riders the better, even 2-3 you'd get worn out in no time....with the idea of camping 1/2 way, ( with extra gas) and taking 1-2 days to cut/find your way via walky-talkies, and mark/log/map the route for future riders.

The hard part starts about say 150 klms east from Armstrong, the road to that point is easy.

If there is enough interest lets put a BIG GROUP together, the more riders the better and lets plan something for 2021...before or after the bugs get us!
    GearDrivenCam likes this.
  2. revitup

revitup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post 2
    Just looking at the back road maps book again. From page 56 there are two roads heading down from Toronto Road (F4) down to Clad Lake ( we tried the most easterly one) If you took the westerly one all you would have to do is hack you way down one side of the lake...(.more than likely there will be a hiking trail around the whole lake) and then meet up with the exiting Beeva Road.

(ps I tried loading a pic of the BRM page 56 but it would not load)

Lets try a link: ( so just hack around either side of the lake and down the * trail???)
    Note we prolly walked rode 1/5 of the "not" trail and hiked an other 1/3 of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cp6CS6subDYXpBsb7
  3. revitup

revitup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This might take a couple of exploratory camping trips ( one or two locals) before we get an actual Chain Gang of Inmates to do some serious work.

Here is page 43 and 44 from TBRMB showing the proposed route in from the bottom of Clod Lake. Pages 55 and 56 shows the proposed route into the top of Clod Lake. ( note the edge of the pages show the lat and long) Getting to the bottom of the lake should be sorta easy, cross the rail road tracks, and should make a great place for a base camp ? There might even be signs of an existing camp, fire pits etc.

So how about this. Some local riders, once camped start exploring around the lake by foot to see if it would be possible, for the "Chain Gang" (gnarly inmates) to chain saw, chop/axe/hack, move stones, shovel, and/or build bridge for a single track around to the top of the lake and then connect to the most easterly (*) trail shown on page 56. If you guys think it's doable ( take some pics and notes of the tough sections etc.) then let us all know. I'm sure we could then assemble a good group to get this "North West Passage" put into the history books!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pu7DzTaKUVQUAkr46
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a long ride on Saturday ? Hoping to get to Terrace Bay and back .

NorthRider
  5. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    Gotta love this early spring this year! Feels great to be out on the bikes again!
    I'd go with you if I was closer Feliz!
  6. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got out for a bit

Attached Files:

Lycan1, DrydenRider, EmmEff and 4 others like this.
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I rode about 310 km yesterday. We just did the backroads south of Thunder Bay, the Devon Road, out to Northern Lights lake, and the Devon road.
    It was a good ride,for early April!
  8. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Is the road to Northern Lights paved now (chip seal)?
    gpfan likes this.
  9. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anytime after mid June, you need a wingman touch base.
  10. brookes_180

brookes_180 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many of the roads that access First Nation Communities are closed right now due to the pandemic. There is a checkpoint at the start of the road to Webequie and you will not be able to pass without paperwork signed by the Chief and a clean covid test within 72 hours.
  11. brookes_180

brookes_180 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes thats correct, Kenora passed a by-law preventing 2 strokes due to noise. They obviously have no idea and didn't consult anybody that did because there is no real connection between 2, 4 stroke and the noise levels. That being said you can ride a 4 stroke motocross bike pretty much anywhere (other than downtown core and hwy 17) with registration and insurance.
  12. brookes_180

brookes_180 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes this route past North American Palladium is passable with a big ADV bike. I did it last year in my truck with no issues. I would have a GPS track if you need it.
  13. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got tracks I’ve generated off of maps. But in areas like this it’s always better to have a recorded track. Please, send the gpx. You can add it to these threads just like pictures. Thanks!
    brookes_180 likes this.
  14. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Does that apply to outboards? Just asking for a few thousand boaters? Lol
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    maybe you mean Weagamow, not Webequie...unless you're talking about the Webequie winter road.
  16. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The all-weather gravel road to Webequie is still in the planning stages. Construction was supposed to start this year and finish in 2025. I haven’t seen any recent updates to the status. But fingers crossed.

Most of the First Nations villages in Quebec have been closed, with checkpoints on the roads around them. There were (are?) even checkpoints on the snowmobile trails around them. God I hope things clear up by the end of the summer. Plan B for me is a ride in the Rockies, and that involves 2000 miles of interstate each way just to get there and back.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    maybe i wasn't clear, the existing all weather road to Weagamow, or the existing winter road to Webeequie since there is no all weather road?

Canada is way behind on the vax, so unless there's an extensive and immediate effort, the odds are long on whether the border is open in 2021.
  18. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This pandemic is really taking its toll on me. Not being able to ride to Canada is incredibly frustrating to me. I guess I have first world problems. My wife and I are fully vaccinated.

I wanted to take a ride this summer to Quebec City and then around the Gaspe peninsula.
    MNimum and GearDrivenCam like this.
  19. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The way the numbers look currently and on the forecasts, Ontario is in a hurt locker for this spring and summer. They're now gonna divert vaccines to the major hot spots, which are in the cities. Makes sense, point the firehose at the fire, but it means that outside of Toronto/Ottawa/Windsor the general population isn't gonna get jabbed for a while.

Here in Kingston our ICU is full, no local cases, all transfers from the city. And getting worse.
  20. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Canada is closed until further notice! Pretty straight forward answer!